UGH! Competitive S.I.L. Help!!!

Options
It is sooooo annoying having a competitive S.I.L.!!!!
Everyday she brags about how many lbs. she lost and how her clothes fit looser.
She always fishes for complements all the time, it annoys me ugh!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I lost weight too, 30 lbs to be exact!!! But I don't brag to other people's faces about it, like this person does this to try to make me jealous. She's always been competitive with me since I met my boyfriend's family. From looks, to money, now to weight loss. WTF!! Sorry I;m just annoyed!

HELP I NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS MADNESS!!!!!!

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    She's just letting her insecurities show. Congratulate her on her achievements and just change the subject.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    First off, I would like you commend you for your use of the worse "loose" and also for your spelling of "weight".

Secondly, I think you should just ignore her and stop letting it affect you. Just congratulate her on her achievements and stop letting the negativity drag you down. Go be happy and live your life and create a non-toxic relationship with your sister.
  • katlady32
    Options
    I have a competitive sister-in-law also. Even worse, she has always been very skinny. She loves to talk about how everybody loves her butt, in fact! My advice, after asking many friends because she hurt my feelings so many times with MEAN! comments about everything, was to ask her, "that sounds mean, is that how you meant it?". Kill her with kindness. Unfortunately, however, it will just make that little ***** more jealous. THat's what I do to mine. I find that it makes her even more relentless and jealous because she thinks my life is so great that I can be so nice to such a *****. Hey, it's beating her at her own game with class. And there is still hope she could get some self-esteem and turn nice. :love:
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    She's just letting her insecurities show.

That is it, in a nutshell.....
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Let it go. It doesn't REALLY affect you does it? Frustrating, annoying, sure! But does it prevent you from being you? no.
    Good luck.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    WHO CARES! let her brag obviously she is not feeling that great about herself or she wouldnt be doing this.
    but if it really bothers you jus tell her to shut her d*ckwasher
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with SAGETRACEY: Don't let her detect your irritation. That's why she's does what she does. A wise person told me once: Don't ever let someone know what annoys you because it will come back to bite you.

I bet once you add a big smile when praising her for her achievement(s), she will wonder what you're up to. She just might be getting off on irritating you - some people are like that. Once they see it's no longer fun for them, they quit or go find another person to irritate.

Therefore, learn to smile, smile, smile whenever you see your sister-in-law. It will drive HER crazy! (Practice in the mirror if you have to!)

Remember this: You cannot control her behavior, only yours. Her behavior is in direct correlation with yours. You change; she changes. It really is that simple - reverse psychology - you gotta love it!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Let it go. It doesn't REALLY affect you does it? Frustrating, annoying, sure! But does it prevent you from being you? no.
    Good luck.

This^^^^

Ted always says what I'm thinking, but he always says it nicer than I think it.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I know someone on Face-book that does that. Both her and her daughter. Gets really annoying, It's more like Brag book to them. I just ignore it and realize that they are both very insecure. I have had many achievements but don't go to social medias and brag about them.
  • st1nkypinky
    Options
    First off, I would like you commend you for your use of the worse "loose" and also for your spelling of "weight".

LOL, English isn't my first language lady.