Workout tips for a stay at home mom.

Options
Hi everyone! I’m back on myfitness pal for the first time in a few years. This time around I’m the mom of 2 kids, age 3 and 6 months, so working out can be difficult for me. Going to the gym just isn’t an option for me right now because I’m just now willing to expose my kids to all the germs in the gym daycare with everything going around right now, and my husband works long hours, so there’s really no time for me to go when he is home. I’m looking for ideas and ways to help me stay on track with working out at home, any ideas are welcome!

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by working out (cardio, weight lifting, etc.) A lot of people like kettle bell workouts. There are a lot of traditional lifts you can do (squats, deadlifts, etc.). If you sit a lot, you coundl be mindful to get up and walk every hour and/or could use a balance ball to sit on.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I workout at home with the Oculus VR set. There are lots of fitness apps for it and it works up a sweat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My wife is a runner and that is and always has been her primary form of working out. My primary exercise modality has been cycling for a very long time now. When our kids were that young my wife would take them out in the jogging stroller on her runs. I would often take them out on my bike with a cycling trailer in tow. It was always a lot of fun and I kinda miss those days. Bonus...they are now 9 and 11 and both of them view regular exercise as a completely normal, everyday thing. My eldest likes running and will often go with my wife if it's a short run. They both like riding bikes and we do quite a few family rides. They both play competitive soccer. My youngest is still with a club team and they have spring and fall seasons. My eldest started middle school this year and chose to play soccer for his school instead of club. He plays in the fall and is planning on running track this spring.

Regular exercise is not only good for you, it also sets a great example for your children as they grow up.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I like to write out a calendar and map out a workout for each day of the week. When that day comes and it’s cardio and I don’t feel like doing cardio, I might switch the days around a bit based on how I’m feeling. But having the workouts already mapped out and you don’t have to think “what should I do today?” makes it easier to just get started.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,192 Member
    Options
    There's lots of workouts on YouTube.
    I've been doing the programs that team body project offer
  • joanhamburger
    joanhamburger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been looking on facebook marketplace for either a treadmill or exercise bike and some dumbbells or kettlebells because I am in a similar situation! My son is 2.5 and it's really hard to make time for exercise. I'm hoping that having a few things at home will make things easier.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Im a huge fan of Yoga and would recommend to everyone. There are free yoga sessions all over YouTube. 🧘🏼‍♀️