My fiance can't lose weight unless she does keto

Options
daveavemian
daveavemian Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
And keto totally messes up her stomach to where she has bouts of severe constipation- like she will be on bathroom for 2 hours without being able to poop and her belly feels like it's about to explode. She never has these problem outside of doing keto

What the hell can I do?? She works out very very hardcore with me with weights 5 days a week and she eats healthy and low calories- around 1200-1500 cals a day. She's 5'10 196

How can she lose 30 lbs without doing keto? Is there a reason why keto is only thing that works and how can she not have this severe constipation with keto? She was taking fiber supplements every day and eating lots of veggies and some fruits and drinking tons of water. She still had the severe constipation. Is there a way to prevent constipation on keto?

She keeps asking me for help and I feel so helpless because nothing I tell her seems to work. I should mention she has a good amount of muscle now. Last week she tracked all of her calories, worked out like a monster with me multiple times and still gained 2 lbs when she should have lost 2 lbs

[Post edited by MFP mod]

Replies

• daveavemian
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    A have a few questions

What period of time are we talking about? When you start a carbohydrate restricted diet you first lose a potentially big amount of water weight as glycogen binds water. Less glycogen, less stored water. That's the weightloss that people who do keto experience first, even if they're not in a calorie deficit.

Is your partner eating enough fiber and drinking enough? Keto can be constipating, especially if fiber is lacking.

Is your partner weighing all her food on a food scale and is in a calorie deficit? Keto does not lead to weightloss if not in a calorie deficit. See the waterweight comment above.

Why does keto work for her? Satiety or any of the reasons above?

she drank a lot of water, ate plenty of veggies and some fruit on keto, took fiber supplements...still had horrible constipation

Is there any reason why keto would be so much more successful than a regular diet?

Why would she work out so hard with me all of last week, watch all her calories and still gain 2 lbs?
  • daveavemian
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Exercising hard is a very frequent cause of water weight gain. Her menstrual cycle could also be the cause of water weight gain.

that makes sense. She had her period last week

Is there any reason keto would be so much more effective than a regular diet at the same calorie level or is she just doing a sh*tty job tracking her calories?

is there a way to avoid constipation when she is doing keto? She did everything she's supposed to - drink a lot of water, take fiber supplements, eat veggies and fruits
  • daveavemian
    edited January 2022
    Options
    So basically she's doing a *kitten* job of tracking her calories is the widespread belief

Any other possibilities?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    How long has she been on Keto? If not very long try it a bit more, however constipation can cause long term problems if it goes on too long. Keto may not be for her. She can lose weight just fine eating in a calorie deficit and staying within her daily calorie goal. She could switch to low carb and see if things come out better (sorry, couldn't resist).

Hoping that this problem gets resolved ASAP.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    You might try asking at the Low Carber Daily group, lots of keto folks there who could help with the consitipation question, they’re less likely to be on the general forums. Her doctor might have some suggestions, too. Don’t give her a hard time about not tracking well— ketosis decreases hunger drive and affects hormonal hunger balance more than other diet methods, so it can be easier to stay within the calorie deficit, if the keto restrictions work for you. Be glad she’s found something that works, but see if she can find a way through this bump in the road.
  • tealmauve
    tealmauve Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went on a Keto diet for 3 months and did not have a fun time. Despite having reliable weight loss and improved cognitive function, it did not agree with me in pretty much every other way: I was hungry, had frequent stomach aches, and constantly resentful that a slice of buttered toast was off the table. I've come to understand that the most successful diet, is the one that works best for you, both physically and psychologically, and Keto was not for me.

I would recommend she give 16:8 intermittent fasting a try. I've found that it has many of the benefits of a Keto diet (weight loss and improved cognitive function) but none of the detractions (I'm much less hungry and I can eat my slice of buttered toast). I will say that the first 4 days might be a bit rough as the body adapts to the new eating rhythm, but after that it becomes normal and hunger pretty much vanishes. While doing so, continuing the calorie tracking to ensure a deficit is maintained and keeping an eye on reaching normal fat and protein macro goals.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    So basically she's doing a *kitten* job of tracking her calories is the widespread belief

Any other possibilities?

I think someone already mentioned, Keto dieters experience an initial loss of weight that's water weight, not fat loss. This can last at two-three weeks (or even more). So, depending on how long she's Keto-ing, she may think she's losing fat on this diet when she's not. If Keto is wreaking havoc on her body, it's not sustainable for her.

Food scale (not measuring cups) and double checking all diary entries for accuracy (even when scanning with a bar code or using a "verified" entry) are really key to success. If she's that height and weight, eating 1200-1500 cal/day, and exercising that intensely, she'd be losing weight.

It's really easy to underestimate the "calories in" part of the equation and overestimate the "calories out" part as well. Weight-lifting is great for fitness and over time, increasing muscle mass helps burn more calories overall throughout the day, but that takes time, especially in women. And weight-lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories as a workout in and of itself. In our world of instant gratification, it's not a winner. But it has sooooo many benefits, mentally and physically.

It took me time to find foods and combos of foods that kept me within my calories and helped me feel full. It might help her to think of what foods she really enjoys and what foods she finds satisfying and then tweak them to fit within her daily calorie goal, if they don't already. There are lots of healthy/nutritionally sound food swaps out there. I adore these high-fiber, low calorie tortillas. And this pasta that tastes just like egg noodles, but with more fiber and protein. I switched out my yogurt to icelandic skyr, my regular skim milk to Fairlife, and lots of other swaps. I bought an airfryer and an Instapot to help me with healthy prep.

There's no one way to lose weight and keep it off. Keto works great for some folks, and it's not for everyone. And it really sounds like it's not good for her. It's regrettable she's struggling so much on Keto. I hope she's able to find a way-of-eating that works for her goals soon!

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Exercising hard is a very frequent cause of water weight gain. Her menstrual cycle could also be the cause of water weight gain.

that makes sense. She had her period last week

Is there any reason keto would be so much more effective than a regular diet at the same calorie level or is she just doing a sh*tty job tracking her calories?

is there a way to avoid constipation when she is doing keto? She did everything she's supposed to - drink a lot of water, take fiber supplements, eat veggies and fruits

Does she have any symptoms of or has ever been diagnosed with PCOS? that may be the answer to
    why low carb or KETO helps where nothing else does.