Finding right macros to bulk skinny fat

Options
So I’m skinny fat and my goal is to gain muscle and then cut. For further context, I’m 5’11,177.4LBs and 19M. My current macros are: Carbs 30% 188 grams/ Protein 45% 281 grams and Fats 25% 69 grams. Should I increase or decrease anything?? Also if I walk a total of 8-10k steps a day how would I go about factoring that into my calories?

Replies

• alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    THAT is far too much protein and too low carbs. protein is 1lb per pound of BW.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Deduct 100g of protein and add 100g of carbs
    Fats about where I’d have it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    So I’m skinny fat and my goal is to gain muscle and then cut. For further context, I’m 5’11,177.4LBs and 19M. My current macros are: Carbs 30% 188 grams/ Protein 45% 281 grams and Fats 25% 69 grams. Should I increase or decrease anything?? Also if I walk a total of 8-10k steps a day how would I go about factoring that into my calories?
    You're eating TOO LITTLE TO BULK. I'm 180lbs and eat 2300 calories just to maintain. If you're trying to bulk up, you're going to need to get well over 3,000+ calories a day based on your stats. And what kind of workouts are you doing? Walking 10K step reduces your calories by at least 400 calories.......meaning your NET is around 1800 calories a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what the others said about the protein being excessive. Starting with 1g/ pound body weight is pretty standard, and then see how your body responds and adjust.

I don't try to estimate energy out because my NEAT varies wildly day to day. I just let my scale show me my trends. I'm on the scale every day and use a running 5 day average to mitigate bogus numbers (from dehydration or excess Na for example). That said, there are plenty if calculators out there to estimate calorie expenditure but they might vary quite a bit.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what "skinny fat" means to you, but it sounds like you are trying to do some body recomposition? Eating absolute truck loads of protein won't make you lose fat while gaining muscle. You need to specify your goals. What's more important to you at this point? Gaining muscle bulk or cutting fat? Because it's very difficult and can be very frustrating to do both at once.

Also, what kind of lifestyle do you want to maintain? It's all nice and good to pack on kilos of muscle, but you have to maintain it if you don't want it to just disappear on you. I bulked up like crazy when I was younger and then it all pretty much deflated when I injured my spine and stopped being able to lift weights.

That said, I maintain excellent muscle mass without lifting weights, I'm just not trying to be "BIG" anymore.

I think it's really important for you to clarify your goals both in terms of the body comp results you hope for, and more importantly the lifestyle you want to commit to.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calories are low.
    Protein is too high.
    Account for your steps by setting your activity setting to very active and monitor your trend weight to make suitable adjustments based on results over time.

No mention of your training and it's your training that drives muscle growth, not eating a whole cow every day. ;)