How do you motivate yourself to workout?

Options
So here's my problem: I always quit things halfway through.

I started P90. Thought it was too easy. Quit.

Switched to Turbofire. Liked it. Fell off the wagon because of traveling. Never got back on.

Started biking every day for 45 minutes at 16 MPH. Really enjoyed it but ended up falling off the wagon...never got back on.

Started Jillian Michaels...halfway (literally halfway, I started on Sept 1st!) and I'm feeling myself losing motivation again...I've skipped a workout or two and I'm losing steam.

So how do you guys keep yourselves motivated? What do you do when you're feeling bored or lackluster about a workout? I mean, by god it's only THIRTY DAYS! I should be able to stick with it for at least a month...I mean...honestly, right? :( Anyone want to help me out here and give me some advice/motivation?

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking off how much better I look and how much longer I am going to live. Healthy body=Longer lifespan.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I try to not do the exact same thing every day , if I don't switch it up I find myself not interested in it anymore .
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not really an exercise person either, to be honest, but it helps if it's something you enjoy. Maybe try out new things and do things that get you moving, it may help if you're not thinking of it as your exercise. I like playing Dance Dance Revolution or Wii Sports, but if I thought of them as my exercise and forced myself to do them every day I'd burn out. I also like biking a lot more if I think of it as my fresh air and vitamin D or if I'm going to the library.
  • melmarler
    Options
    I don't want to die of a heart attack or diabetes. I guess fear of death motivates me.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    Some ideas: make sure your goals are achievable - how about aiming to work out 4 or 5 times a week instead of every day.

What about switching up your exercise instead of doing the same thing all the time.

Anything you've found that you enjoy? Do some of that. Dance, swimming, cyling, walking on the beach or in the forest, bowling, roller derby, whatever...

Is there anyone you know who you could meet up with for a walk or work out? Even someone who's not your friend currently but wants a work out buddy?

What about a class with a set time i.e. yoga, zumba, group fitness etc?

Also, seriously don't beat yourself up if you miss a workout or two. It doesn't help your motivation at all. Look at each day as a fresh start and take it from there.

Good luck on your journey!
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    "I don't want to die of a heart attack or diabetes. I guess fear of death motivates me"---melmarler

This statement nails it for me. I am a nurse and see the most disgusting things people have allowed to happen to themselves as a result of poor eating habits, sedentary lifestyles and overall laziness and apathy towards life. Now only do I not want to suffer like that, I do not want to be a burden to anyone else who may care about me---or the taxpayers.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I take a look in the mirror and say "Damn I look good!" and I know how I got there...exercise every day, no excuses! I want to continue liking what I see.:happy:
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Because if I don't, I get in a really foul mood, and really anxious about everything. I guess I'm dependent on it now...oh well, it's all for the best.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I may sound weird but I use my sickness as my motivation. I want to improve my blood sugar level & my blood pressure since I'm already diabetic (though still under oral meds) & hypertensive. I don't like to get to the point wherein I will be working just to support for my insulin & oral meds. For now about 20% of my salary goes to my maintenance meds. Its too expensive to get sick. So whenever I feel lazy & down, I just think of those things plus the benefits exercise is giving me. Of course looking good in the mirror & in string bikini as well
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before I have my coffee...that way my brain isn't functioning enough to talk my body out of it!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My family is a huge motivator for me as well as my crew at work, I don't want to have someone get hurt because I was out of shape. I try to change up routines when I get bored. I might shoot hoops, ride my bike, run outside, run indoor on the track, use the elliptical or bike, or treadmill, use free weights or machines, change up reps or sets, I'll even load up new music or a different playlist.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself your only going to walk/jog for 10 minutes, anyone can do that right?! Then, once your out there with some up beat tunes, you'll pretty much just keep walking, walk far away about 1 mile then you will have to come back to where you started and theres a 2 mile walk right there. Also, put on your work out clothes, walking shoes and just go...Just do it! i know its not always easy to make yourself do it but once you get started you may as well do the walk!
  • liza001
    Options
    I like all of the above.. "what great replies" especially the one about ***before coffee so my head doesn't talk me ou of it** love it!

I'm the same, get bored very easy and don't stick to it.. Currently I'm doing Nike training workouts.. There are heaps to choose from 15 mins to 45 min workouts.. Also you only have to do 30-45 mins a day, not long really for health, weightloss etc..

I'm convinced that working out is Great for your health, each year I get the flu, several times, with last Christmas I had to have daily antibiotic injections... Since my healthy lifestyle, I have had the flu only twice, with only a day off work (amazing) and for the first time in my life it didn't develop that I needed antibiotics.. Excellent motivation...

I am starting to get bored with Nike.. I have to admit, it's been 2 weeks after all... Now I've found an app where I can pick 6 workouts to do from 450 see how I go... (message me if you want the app name)

In February I did C25K (couch potato to 5klm run in 9 weeks) that was great motivation! To be able to run 5lkm non stop.. I ran it on Easter Saturday and continued to run several times a week for months 6klms each time.. A nice scenic view and to the marina and back... I'm away from home so I cannot do it and really have to admit that I'm getting bored of it too.. But I will still factor it in because I don't want to lose all that hard work.. Another motivator...

What keeps me going now is how great I'm looking and I'm on my last 5 kgs to lose, I wanted to look great for my daughters wedding, which I have achieved and now I'm fine tuning my body with weights (wish I started that in Feb ! ) However I am smaller now than I've ever been in my whole adult life yet 5kgs heavier. (go figure!)

Find an event you want to be looking great for in 6-12months
    Maybe strive for something 5 klm run, a contest.. Be the best Zumba dancer.. Whatever you want..

Lots of people here that I read about, train for something.. A 5 klm run or weight lifting challenge (which both I recommend) there is a great thread on weight lifting for womanwithout bulking, here by a guy called Steve if you would like the link let me know...

There're famous trainers that say they hate it, but just get it over with because it's for their health and quality of life.. Puts that spring back into your step..

At the end of the day.. It's just 30 or so minutes for your health and great shape... Just do it! Lol

There's a t-shirt I've seen * JFDI! * ... Haha Well said!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I read a study that said that people who KEEP weight off tend to be structured and regimented. I include exercise in my daily routine. You probably brush you teeth every day, right? Add exercise into your routine (perhaps you have done this, already) and I think it helps.

Best,
    Debbie
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I have two options. Either I go on strict diet watching everything I eat and loose weight that way or I combine my diet with working out and loose fat faster and get fit at the same time. For me the choice isnt that hard.