How do you make Turkey Jerky?

NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
Subject pretty much says it all. I looked up some videos, but most of them used special tools (like a Turkey gun? that squishes the turkey into slabs).

Is there a way to make Turkey Jerky without having to buy anything special?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    LOL...my mind went somewhere else COMPLETELY!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Make the turkey really mad (so that he acts like a jerk)?

ETA: Here you go!

http://tinyurl.com/5rcyjo3

:flowerforyou:
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    We make ours by thinly slicing slightly frozen turkey, marinating in whatever sauce concoction you want, and dehydrating it until it's how you like it. Pretty easy (if you have a dehydrator). Good luck :smile:
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Hey Neuro, you don't need a jerky gun, just take a baking sheet (one with edges are easier), cover it in wax paper or parchment paper (make sure you go over the edges a bit as you are going to use it to lift the meat back out.
    Put the turkey in and press it down until you get your desired thickness (I normally go 1/4" thickness).
    pull the meat out of the baking sheet using the wax/parchment paper, take a knife and cut it into strips, place the strips in your dehydrator or, if you are using the oven, take the baking sheet, flip it over and cover with alum foil then wax/parchment and dehydrate that way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I have no idea what a turkey gun is and I'm not sure if I know anyone who has made turkey jerkey, but in my neck of the woods a lot of people make deer jerkey. I assume it would work the same. You can just slice it thin, marinate it, then put it in a dehydrator until it's dry. You could maybe do it in an oven if you don't have a dehydrator, but I don't know what temp or for how long.
  • You don't need a gun or a press for this. Take a turkey breast and freeze it partially. Cut the turkey in to 1/4" thick strips and set aside.

In a bowl mix 2 parts kosher salt, 1 part brown sugar, .5 part course ground pepper, .5 part garlic salt.

Sprinkle "cure" over turkey and place in ziplock bag for several hours to cure.

Turn oven on lowest setting, preferably 150 degrees if not set it on 200 and keep door cracked Place turkey strips on wire rack with sheet pan underneath, dehydrate until turkey is pliable but cooked through. If you wish you can also take some wood chips (preferably apple or cherry) Soak them for half an hour in water. Drain woodchips and wrap with foil leaving the center open. Lay foil packet on burner turned on med high until it starts to smoke. Lay packet on rack under turkey and close door. Make sure to turn hood fan on high to keep your house from being filled with smoke, allow chips to burn down. When you taste the jerkey it will have a nice smokey flavor.