Help!

Options
Really struggling with macro counting,I can reach my total calories for the day but it's not always the right ratio of protein, carbs and fats?any tips to make it easier please?๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช

Replies

• TattedGemini
    TattedGemini Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I prelogg my day to make sure everything hits my macros before starting my day. It takes some time to figure out what foods work etc. If you want you can add me as a friend. I have an open diary and follow iifym.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The only way I can do this consistently is to eat the same thing every day
  • watch_out_for_that_tree
    Options
    Really struggling with macro counting,I can reach my total calories for the day but it's not always the right ratio of protein, carbs and fats?any tips to make it easier please?๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช

What percentages are you trying to hit? What's you total cals?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Maybe try focusing on one at a time while you figure out what works for you. For example- focus on protein for a couple weeks, then hone in on carbs once the protein seems easier. Or vice versa.

Meal planning and prelogging for the day can help with fine-tuning things.

You can search the forums for ways to add protein, cut carbs, cut fat, add fat, etc.
  • shearer061080
    shearer061080 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone that's some good advice,I'm aiming for 2500 calories 40%protein, 40%carbs and 20% fats.im thinking of starting with just basic things like oats,chicken,rice,veg and fish and eggs,see how I go.im no Gordon Ramsay that's for sure and I just don't have time to spend hours cooking each day.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ช
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Probably the most important macro is protein because you can't build or maintain muscle without it. Carbs and fats can both be used for energy and you can switch them around as you want. Some people find carbs bloating and fats more filling so see what works for you. Overall though, the total number of calories is what will influence your weight.
  • shearer061080
    shearer061080 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks buff man,good advice, yeah gonna focus more on protein to start and review every couple of weeks.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal isn't extremely (excessively!) low, 40% protein could be more than you really need?

This is evidence-based, from a site generally regarded as neutral:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

If your protein goal is higher than their high end, reconsider your percentage. If your weight loss target rate is more than 0.5-1% of your current body weight (with a bias toward 0.5% unless you're seriously obese), reconsider your calorie goal (assuming you have fitness/body-composition ambitions).
  • Lady_ov_leisure
    Lady_ov_leisure Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Meal preparation and planning really helped me to get mine spot on ๐Ÿ‘
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat IIFYM because it is more flexible than cutting whole food groups. I don't have to wait for "free" or "treat" days. I typically pre-plan my entire day's menu in the morning or the night before to make sure macros are about right. I start with one meal that I really want to eat that day and work everything else around that. It helps me use leftovers or groceries before they expire, too. I have a few basic foods that I know I can throw in for each category if I am short on a macro: frozen grilled chicken strips are easy to microwave and add into any meal or to have on their own with a bit of sauce (I usually pick A1); fresh fruit or dry cereal or pretzels take care of any carbs, and for fats I can usually add cheese or oil/butter to something, maybe even pick a less lean meat. I get to have pizza, bagels with cream cheese, sausage...anything I want as long as the portion fits into the day's macros. I don't mind counting and weighing everything, so it works for me. I use the recipe tab when I do something homemade like tuna salad. Good luck!! Don't stress if every day isn't exactly perfect. If I am short or over 2-8 in a category of macros, I don't worry much as long as my calories are under my goal. Looks like it has been a couple months since this post, so I hope it is working for you!