Greek yogurt.... acne?

Has anyone heard if there's a link between eating greek yogurt and having a breakout of acne? I'm vegetarian and find greek yogurt very satiating. It's great for low calories and high protein. But after I eat it I seem to get some acne appear around my mouth. I'm starting to think if there's a link? I don't really want to cut it out! I seem ok with milk and cheese. Does anyone have any ideas or alternatives please?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2022
    I had horrible acne before and did quite a bit of research on this. I was on Accutane 5 times! There is no evidence that dairy causes acne or makes it worse. If you have an allergy, then it can cause a rash, but that rash is not the same as acne. Eat your Greek yogurt!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2022
    My sister has acne and rosacea and all dairy absolutely makes it worse for her. Have you tried a non-dairy yogurt? If that makes you break out as well, then you know it isn't the dairy. Also have you tried a different brand of yogurt? You could be reacting to a specific ingredient, like a preservative.

Be scientific about it, alter one small variable at a time and narrow down your probable sources of problem.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    Off the wall suggestion, but try making your own Greek yogurt and see if you get the same reaction.

It’s super easy to make. And cheap, too.
  • Pumpkin2901
    Pumpkin2901 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm too lazy to make my own! I think I'll cut it out and try dairy free yogurt for a while... it's not as filling though. Need to look into more filling foods. I struggle with this sometimes.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Substituting in an organic product for a bit might make sense. An artificial sweetener or coloring is as likely as a dairy reaction.

That said, we've settled on a cashew based yogurt from Forager for my daughter.
  • The only way to know for sure is to cut it out and see if it clears it up for you and reintroduce it and see if it comes back. Just because it doesn't have that reaction for a lot of people doesn't mean it isn't a genuine reaction for you.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    I eat 100g Greek yogurt almost every day without that effect. However, if I have 20-30g whey protein powder a couple days in a row, I do. The only way to narrow in on it is to experiment on yourself for several days (a week is better) while keeping everything else as constant as possible (so you're testing one variable at a time). With a really varied diet, keeping everything else constant is hard to do. Good luck nailing it down!