Need support

I am down hearted today. Need to lose 60+ lbs and I'm over 50. Having trouble getting started. Lost 4lb my first week, gained 3lb this week. Been battling back issues for a year now, so unable to exercise, and in constant pain. Seems like every effort I expend is met with either no effect or results with more pain. Just needing a little encouragement this morning.
Tagged:

Replies

• Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Awww, it can be disheartening when you lose and then it comes right back. That tends to be my pattern. I'll lose a good amount and then for seemingly no reason it comes right back and takes a week or 2 to get back there or see a new low. Know what? It's still progress, though.

I feel for ppl who have back problems. I pulled mine for the first time a few months ago, and that was a pain like I've never felt before. Maybe you can get into some physical therapy? If not, maybe just some stretching would help?
  • battycodagrl39
    battycodagrl39 Posts: 4 Member
    I got past my mind sobatage I hear ya, we can all send you support vibes🤗👍
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    First of all, congrats on getting started and losing 1lb! The first step is always the hardest step!

Second, weight fluctuations are totally normal. Like @yirara said, its highly unlikely you lost 4lbs of fat in one week. That'd mean you had to eat at a 14,000 calorie deficit for the week. It was probably an initial water weight loss (called a "whoosh"). Then your body re-regulated. Just keep with it. Weight loss is about a lot of trial an error. Figuring what works for you. Last time I started back eating at a deficit again about 3 weeks ago I actually gained 1lb my first day! Go figure!

Lastly, I have a bad back, too. Mine is muscular, not structural. I usually tweak it (and by tweak I mean throw it out to where I can barely walk) like once a year. Last time was 9 days ago. So I can't do any exercising save for walking right now. But I'm walking for 30 minutes a day to help burn some extra calories and watching my diet real closely to keep myself on track. I know not all back pains are created equal, but you don't need to go full body-builder mode at the gym to get "exercise". Just move, even a little bit is better than nothing. You'd be surprised how many calories a nice brisk walk can burn!

Just keep after it, measure all your foods, log everything... you know the drill. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, just eat in a deficit. Exercise can help give you some extra leeway or extra calories to eat for those that like to eat a bit more than their daily allotment. Remember: its a marathon not a sprint. We don't put on the weight quickly and it doesn't come off quickly either (unfortunately!).
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm seriously disabled and in constant severe pain and have never had a problem losing weight with just diet alone, so don't let your disability make you think that you can't lose weight. I lost from obese to very lean and kept it off.

You will just have to focus on optimizing your diet, and in terms of exercise, do what you can that's good for your body, but basically forget about it as a weight loss aide.

Do you have a good physical therapist or occupational therapist? They can really help you with exercises that will help your particular body stay it's healthiest and strongest. Half of my daily exercise routine involves lying on the ground on certain blocks to stretch out spasming muscles. It does nothing for weight loss directly, but keeps me way more functional and out of bed a lot more, which is a huge win.

It's also nice never depending on exercise for weight management, because when you have your eating totally dialed in, you never have to worry about gaining if you're suddenly more disabled.

There are tons of options and resources out there. I personally lost and maintained initially on a plant-based, low calorie diet with almost no snacking. If I was genuinely hungry between meals, I would have a hard boiled egg. Then I regained a bit of weight due to meds, but still in the healthy range, and added intermittent fasting. Same diet, just one large meal instead of three very small meals.

Good luck figuring out what works for you, but know that it's very doable. Don't let anyone make you feel like it isn't, not even yourself.
  • phippsalice11
    phippsalice11 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm new here 66yrs old with tons of health issues, Bariatric surgery patient twice in 5 years and multiple surgeries due to complications from Bariatric surgeries.
    I have been unable to exercise for the last 5 years and 10 surgeries later I'm hoping the next 2 scheduled procedures February 25th and again on March 4th will finally enable me to start walking everyday and then to be able to get more exercises in.
    My highest weight was 318,CW is 189.4 but my personal GW is 130 and I am 5'3 .
    I will be happy to encourage you to just take one day at a time any loss is a win.
    You are going to have bumps in the road along the way.
    Just take it as a bump not as a crater your falling into.
    Don't beat yourself up because that can lead to giving up.
    My motto is "NEVER GIVE UP " !!
    Good luck with your journey,
    Allie in SC
  • cjsunnyside
    cjsunnyside Posts: 136 Member
    Tomorrow is a new and better day! I’m over 50 and plan to lose more than 50. Let’s connect!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    You're doing a great job, losing 1 pound across two weeks. Weight loss takes time. Avoiding pain is key for sustainability, though. Go easy and learn more about which movements will bring ease and comfort and joy rather than pain.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Just take it slowly you will see results, your doing great dont get disheartened.
  • michaeldaily4927
    michaeldaily4927 Posts: 59 Member
    Don't feel downtrodden or as if you are failing. The hardest part is starting, and that's behind you. Don't concentrate on the scale too much. Think about where you want to get to, and then go there. Measure success in goals and the journey, not in the numbers on a scale. Above all else, relax. Wellness and fitness are enjoyable journeys, not torturous missions.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Add some FRIENDS on here they will help motivate you.