Need help deciding on best workout plan!

Options
Ok guys I wanna commit to a work out program that will suit me. I have a YMCA membership and trying to decide if should get a trainer, take more classes, or if I should do a home program like power 90/P90x/insanity I'm not in good shape; I'm 233 lbs and have a bmi of 33 if that tells u anything so I'm sure p90x/insanity is probably out for now. i have done a lot of exercise in the past (just not consistently) so I can handle a 45-60 minute workout without difficulty. . Having a really hard time locking down on something...can u help???

Replies

• ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    im staying more consistent now with my workouts that are turbo jam and walking durring the week, the weekends starting tomorrow ima start jillian michael's 30 day shred. i want to workout daily and make it part of my lifestyle. every lil bit helps. ima dvd gurl. and turbo jam is fun and all and less hard than insanity. so i would say try that. i have links which i know we cant post up here or whatever of turbo jam workouts, full ones not previews thatppl have uploaded :) so just let me know :)
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm only a few lbs heavier than you. Right now I'm doing power90 for weights and turbo jam the other days. Some days I go hiking instead of turbo jam since we are having such great fall weather lately.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I have also been trying to figure out my personal plan. I started C25K this past week and am going to add in 30 Day Shred this coming week. I purchased the New York City Ballet Workout because I heard it was pretty good and I have always loved dance, but it seems like there are so many people doing the 30 Day Shred, many with great results, so I thought I would give it a try first.

Good luck in whatever you decide! :smile:
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Just can't seem to figure out if I should do home or gym workouts. I've never had the motivation to workout at home but I'm willing to try anything that'll work. I also need something I can travel with as I'm out of town a lot.
  • nyball1
    Options
    Turbo Jam is a good workout video that you can do at home. It burns a lot of calories and it doesn't get boring because it takes a while, especially for a beginner, to get through the whole routine.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would try the gym. I used to have a bunch of gear at home and just couldn't get motivated to stay with it. Most hotels have a gym in them or you could use the DVDs on the road. Try to find a gym that doesn't have a contract. Good luck.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My advice is anecdotal. There are many true experts who can give sound advice on a plan, but sometimes it is helpful to know what has worked for others.

I started my journey at close to your weight. Before getting into an active exercise plan, I began by correcting the most egregious eating habits and walking, walking, walking to build energy. By choice I am on a sloooow change of lifestyle plan -- tackling my changes incrementally, 60 lost lbs in five years; 30 to go over the next couple.

August 2010, I joined the Y and I have started taking classes. The one that has been the most successful for me and has really helped me grow stronger and physically show my weightloss to the world has been body pump. For several months, I concentrated on getting my form right (still have to really focus on that as correct exercise form still does not come naturally to me and I do not want to injure myself). Now I go and it is so good for me.

The Y does have some great classes and equipment. I never took and stuck with an exercise class before and it was way outside my comfort zone. The size of the class and the quality of the instructor really matter though. I am in my late 50s.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    My advice is anecdotal. There are many true experts who can give sound advice on a plan, but sometimes it is helpful to know what has worked for others.

I started my journey at close to your weight. Before getting into an active exercise plan, I began by correcting the most egregious eating habits and walking, walking, walking to build energy. By choice I am on a sloooow change of lifestyle plan -- tackling my changes incrementally, 60 lost lbs in five years; 30 to go over the next couple.

August 2010, I joined the Y and I have started taking classes. The one that has been the most successful for me and has really helped me grow stronger and physically show my weightloss to the world has been body pump. For several months, I concentrated on getting my form right (still have to really focus on that as correct exercise form still does not come naturally to me and I do not want to injure myself). Now I go and it is so good for me.

I love body pump!

The Y does have some great classes and equipment. I never took and stuck with an exercise class before and it was way outside my comfort zone. The size of the class and the quality of the instructor really matter though. I am in my late 50s.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    I love body pump!
  • dizzielizzie82
    dizzielizzie82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    try curves. 30 min work out 3 times a week. I love it, they take all your measurements and then check them every 4 weeks or so. and when your there they really motivate you. women only and no mirrors!! check it out at www.mycurves.com
    good luck