is it worth it?

Options
Im looking into joining a gym but my partner seems to think that it wont help me achieve my weightloss as I would only gain muscle and I should concentrate on losing the weight and then joining a gym to tone up.

What do you guys think? x

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Your partner is holding you back. Why would anyone want to stop you from being healthy?
  • miss_bex
    Options
    I think its just becuase money is a bit tight at the moment and he seems to think that cycling, jogging and using the wii will have just the same effect. I went to a gym a few years ago and I really enjoyed it x
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories than fat!

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/f/muscle.htm

Educate your partner! Tell them it's important to you and ask them to go with you. If he doesn't want to, go by yourself, because in the end, it's all about how YOU feel about YOU. :)

Don't get thrown, also, by the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. Strength training will lead to a heavier muscle build, so try to measure OTHER indications of your progress, like inches at neck, waist, and hips, or how your clothes fit. :)
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My husband has made comments a bunch of times about not wanting me to be "like a bodybuilder" I am using 8 lb weights, so I don't have much fear of that! I would try to find a gym that is month to month, so he is not afraid that you won't use it.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Don't get thrown, also, by the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. Strength training will lead to a heavier muscle build, so try to measure OTHER indications of your progress, like inches at neck, waist, and hips, or how your clothes fit. :)

Muscle takes up less space than fat and is more dense than fat, but does not weigh more. 1pound=1pound.
  • PJFaber
    Options
    I waited until I had lost 100 lbs before I joined our local recreation center. It has a small weight room with machines and it is cheaper than joining most gyms. It was one of the best moves I have made. It has helped me stay motivated watching others on the same journey.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's worth it. I too enjoy going to the gym, so most days it's not hard to go, if you enjoyed going, you will be more likely to stick with it.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If money is tight, you don't need to join a gym to get your strength and resistance training. There are loads of exercises that you can do at home using your own body weight and improvised weights that will help you strengthen your core muscles (which will in turn benefit your jogging). If you google home workout, you'll be able to find quite a fee free videos demonstrating techniques and exercises that will help you reach your goals (without spending more pennies).
  • miss_bex
    Options
    Ita a new gym that is opening near us so its got a special offer if you pore register interest so i think I might go for it. Now that my daughter has started nursery it will give me time to go on the days I am off work. I used to enjoy tjhe cross trainer, the rowing machine and the treadmill, plus I can get access to all the classess too x
  • jminette
    Options
    Why would you wait, when you can start now?? It'll take you twice as long to achieve the body you want.

Plus, more muscle means a higher metabolism. Trust me, you should start now!
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's worth it. You have to have some sort of strenghth training to acheive your goals
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Gym is great and strength training is great too. But do You have a good foundation? Can You do 20 push ups or a chin up?
    If you cant do that start doing push ups and variations of chin ups,squats, one legged squats, chain dips, planks and stuff like that for 2-3 weeks then start lifting in the gym if Your budget is tight.
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Muscle takes up less space than fat and is more dense than fat, but does not weigh more. 1pound=1pound.

Just found out I was subject to a myth. Thanks for correcting me. :)
  • dlewis75
    Options
    Gaining muscle is just as important as losing weight. Lean muscle helps you burn more calories. I joined the local YMCA, they have trainers there who can and will help you achieve your goals. So to answer your question, yes joining a gym is worth it, but make sure you take the time to pick the one that will work best for you.
  • ready8
    Options
    I understand what your partner is saying, I'm kinda in the same boat. I would love to be able to go to the gym but it is not necessary as long as you have the motivation and drive to get up and workout from home you will lose weight, I jog in the morning and at night and burn about 600 cals a day -For toning I use resistant bands - and they work, if you do some research on youtube you will find tons of videos that will show you the proper way to use resistant bands, in 2 months i've lost 24lbs working out from home. So if I can do it anyone can. p.s eating right is also a plus.

Best of luck :)