crunches everyday?

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
Is it bad to do crunches everyday (or 2x a day even) to try and trim the abs? The last 2 days i have done 70 and am planning on doing another 40 tonite before I go to bed?
:noway:

Replies

• Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to do crunches everyday (or 2x a day even) to try and trim the abs? The last 2 days i have done 70 and am planning on doing another 40 tonite before I go to bed?
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options

It isn't necessary to work your abs everyday like that. You don't work all your other muscles to exhaustion every day do you? The only way you'll see your abs is if you drop body fat. You can't spot reduce fat...
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    don't kill urself with crunches, but I used to do the same thing a couple yrs ago and my abs were rock hard from it!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I still don't think you should do vigorous ab work everyday, especially if you're trying to lean out, but if you do, make sure you use proper form. As in, elbows wide, neck aligned with your spine. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for injury. Herniated disc anyone?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    overall development is my goal and working one area on consecutive days will usually do two things to me-
    1. take time away from working another area
    2. not give the area worked enough time to recouperate properly

when taxing one area especially with weights and even body weight, the muscles worked need time to regrow the fibers....it is tempting to work an area like abs every day but rest is as important as work for our muscles
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. No major muscle group should be worked everyday. It would be better to do a more challenging workout every other day or so. There are a ton of ab exercises that you could choose from. If you are doing a variety and doing them correctly you probably would not be able to do them every day b/c they will be sore and fatigued.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    See, I don't think it's bad to do them everyday. Just know that doing them everyday isn't going to make your tummy go away. Any fat around the stomach area is taken care of by diet.

If you want a six pack or a flat stomach you need to incorporate weights, cardio, and good nutrition.

I think the only time you need a day of rest is when the weight is so great that you have created the conditions for overload and hypertrophy. Then a day of rest is good. Doing 3x10 crunches isn't going to be overload.

Crunches to me is more of a muscle-toning/endurance exercise than muscle-building exercise. Especially if you are doing a lot of reps with no weight.

Of course listen to you body though because everyone is different.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Rather than just doing crunches, which does not attack all the muscle groups of the abdomen, find a workout cd that incorporates core training. This would be much more beneficial to you than just crunches.

Extra crunches is overkill. Use you time more wisely by woking on total body fitness.