Ran my first 5k today !

Options
I completed my first 5k run today, think I did it in around 34 - 35 mins which regardless of time just finishing is major personal achievement for me especially as since I started exercising in may, I haven't done one single run outside (curse of the gym treadmill).

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/syguy/agjt3j189ak896ru

It was hard but definitely worth it and felt fantastic when I finished !

Only had 2 times where i dropped to a walk and that was only for a few seconds while I grabbed a quick drink (and my breath)

Only negative was my sportstracker app missed some of the start but as it was a parkrun all the results were recorded by the organisers so should get my exact time later today !

Hopefully going to make this a weekly thing, if you are from the Uk and haven't heard of parkrun, you should check them out as they organise free timed runs across the country every week !

Replies

• gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's such an achievement- you should feel awesome!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great run! Good time too! I miss running 5Ks and am seriously thinking about taking it back up since it is finally starting to cool down a bit here in Florida. I always enjoy them and feel like I acomplished someting when done. And the calorie burn is great too! Congrats!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Nice, that's a pretty good time for your first!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Brilliant - I need to get out on the road - I am another treadmill warrior ;-)
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That is just awesome. Good for you.--and you should be very proud. I would love to start running. My knee always bothers me. Maybe when I lose the weight I can start ? Anyway-- well done! This is how you do it! This is the trick to losing weight and being healthy. Congrats!
  • SandraMtaylor
    Options
    Awesome run! Congratulations!
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    Well done. It's no small thing. You should be exceptionally proud of yourself.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Awesome..and not bad time either..good job! I ran my first in April and my pathetic time was something like 42:00 although I alternate between jogging & walking quite a bit. The point is that you DID IT!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. Did you do the C25k programme or have you been working up to a 5km. I would love to overcome my running aversion!
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    brilliant well done!! great time!!

thanks for the Parkrun info, never heard of that. Unfortunately they dont have any near me :( so i just emailed them!! lol
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I looked at your course, looks like you got a lil cross country in too ;) I am a hamster wheel girl as well, hate it. Can't wait to get where I take it outside. You did great too.
  • syguy
    syguy Posts: 35
    Options
    I didn't really do the c25k (knowingly) but have been mixing interval training and longer distance, I wish I had done the c25k as I think the structure of the programme would have got me faster results and helped guide me a lot better than doing it solo, also I ended up with bad shin splints for just short of 2 months from bad footwear and too much hiit.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Well done! It's a long time (years!) since I've manage a 5k. I am almost half way there so it won't be long before I am looking for some 5k runs to do. I am in the UK so I shall have a look at Parkrun. Sounds like just what I need. Thanks.

Congratulations on a great achievement! :drinker:
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great accomplishment. I'm running my first 5k in an hour!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement. Your first 5k /and/ outside /and/ with a respectable time. You should be proud!
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is wonderful. 5k's were what lit the fuse for my wife and me. My first 5k was about 35 minutes, too!

I love the energy at the events; lots of people working on fitness. Very positive and uplifting atmosphere.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Good Job. Big accomplishment. Super Duper!!!
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    That's absolutely brilliant, amazing even. It is so hard to get from nothing to where you are now, you should be really proud of your accomplishment!
  • ryno1974
    ryno1974 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    great work!!! keep it up, where's the next event going to be?

I used to run treadmills a few years ago it was ok but kinda boring. And now that I have started again im doing it just outside and im finding it way more fun.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Woo-hoo! That is an awesome achievement! Keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!