Opinions Please!!....

Options
First... I just want everyone to tell me their opinion... I don't want this thread to turn into an argument. I'll go back through and decide what might work best for me...

Yesterday, I had a horrible day!! I work at a day care and my kids were just CRAZY!!! I had decided to have a party for them so there was all kinds of yummy stuff there... and thats where it started!! A few slices of pizza due to some stress.. a cookie, little bit of cupcake.. and sadly, it continued when I got home last night. I ended up going out to eat and even got ice cream. This totally isn't me... I have been so on top of this, and treat myself every few days so something like this wouldn't happen...

So this leads me to my question...

At the end of the day I was 1300 calories over my goal!!! So disappointing... now I know 1300 does not equal a pound but when I stepped on the scale this morning I was up 2.4lbs!!! So far I have lost 7 pounds... guess not anymore!! :-(

So I want to correct this over the weekend.... Would it be best to only eat my 1200 cal a day and just exercise a lot and not worry if I net below 1200 this weekend since I ate so much yesterday or will my body think it is starving over the weekend? I need to fix this!! 2.4 weight gain just is not acceptable!!!

Replies

• ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well you are correct in knowing that 1300 cals does not equal 1 lb or even 2.4 lbs so we know that some of that gain was water retention from the sodium in the pizza. Now, calories in and out (and healthier choices) will make a difference in actual weight. So since you already are at 1200 cals, my suggestion would be to keep it at that and add in some daily excercise or extra excercise. Don't be super hard on yourself! Once in awhile its okay to have that stuff unless there is a self control problem. Make sure to have lots of water, restricted sodium, and healthier foods! You will be just fine and have done wonderful so far!
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Go right back to your normal eating habits and exercise. Falling off the wagon for one day does not hinder your weight loss. We have all had them... those days where for one reason or another you don't stop eating. You have to forgive yourself for the slip up, and start today fresh.

Keep up your good work!
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would just start today off fresh, eating my recommended calories but making very healthy choices..get some kind of excercise in, drink your water and just recharge and regroup. Forget the scale and weigh yourself next saturday. Instead of focusing on yesterday focus on the week ahead, planning healthy meals and snacks, new recipes etc. Feel free to add me as a friend, were all in this together ;-)
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up because that kind of negative thinking is what leads you to overeat so it's a vicious cycle if you let it go that way. Just draw a line under it and move on. Watch your calories, keep up your workouts and keep drinking water, be patient, your weight will drop! If you are finding it hard to resist binges and they are a regular occurrence it might be worth looking at self-help books aimed at the problem of emotional or addictive eating patterns, or hypnosis CDs or NLP. There are some excellent books available and these will tackle the psychological aspect while you chip away at the physical aspect on MFP!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'd go just back to normal instead of trying to make up for it all in one shot. Except I would make sure I got plenty of water in. Maybe even extra water. We all have crazy days. Its a journey, a lifestyle, not a quick fix. Good luck!
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    First of all I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. We all get a bad day every now and then. I have a bad habbit of weighing myself everyday.(I know that is bad.) last weekend we had my son's birthday party. When I got on the scale Monday I was up 4 lbs. But by the end of the week I lost it plus an extra lb. I think if you exercise, and stay at your 1200 calories, you will be fine. I don't always eat my workout calories. I don't want to eat if I am not hungry. I hope this helps you. Good Luck,and keep up the good work.
  • sazino
    sazino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't stress! You can't erase what happen, but you can control what you do from here on out. We all have bad days. But, we need to just get right back into it! Maybe you would feel better if you stepped up the exercising this weekend a bit....go for an extra long walk, do some situps while you're watching tv, etc. And, again....don't worry!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Actually every once in awhile days like these even jumpstart your metabolism, be really good with food, drink lots of water and try get some exercise in and you will bounce back and maybe even lose another lb, but the gain is definitely from sodium. Its life you know dont be hard on yourself, I work at a school and feel like that and there is always food around, kids bringing in cupcakes for their bdays, alot of temptations. Usually especially at the beginning of my journey I did this more, If I had one bad food choice then I would have that mentality I already messed up so I might as well let the rest of the day go down hill, stress can really cause that. Also if seeing a gain bothers you I wouldnt weigh in after days like that maybe wait a couple days however now I dont mind it because Im learning to see how my body reacts to days like that and I dont take as hard anymore If Im up the day after I may have eaten lots of sodium or something. Good Luck, you are doing good congrats on your weight loss so far
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I feel much better... I'm getting ready to have some breakfast and go out for a nice long walk. The sodium really makes sense... I drink LOTS of water on any given day, but yesterday like the food, I spurged and have Diet Coke!! AHHH... So I wasn't flushing anything out of my system. Today is a new day and it is going to be a much better time.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up because that kind of negative thinking is what leads you to overeat so it's a vicious cycle if you let it go that way. Just draw a line under it and move on. Watch your calories, keep up your workouts and keep drinking water, be patient, your weight will drop! If you are finding it hard to resist binges and they are a regular occurrence it might be worth looking at self-help books aimed at the problem of emotional or addictive eating patterns, or hypnosis CDs or NLP. There are some excellent books available and these will tackle the psychological aspect while you chip away at the physical aspect on MFP!

Thanks for the info... Its not a regular occurrence. I'm usually really good at controlling what I eat... I plan out all my meals the day before and am pretty good with sticking to it. I just had a child yesterday that drove me nuts!! And due to stress, I forgot to pull my dinner out of the freezer to thaw which led to going out to dinner. It was a long week... I'm off to go have some breakfast and then for a long walk.
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had the same kind of night. I helped out with a Veggie Tales Princess and the Popstar event at our church. There was pizza, cupcakes, banana splits, pink lemonade. I had pizza and a cupcake. I stayed away from the ice cream though. I'm afraid to get on the scale today! Don't feel so bad about your bad day. I've had a bad 3 days. I'm determined to get back on track today though. So keep up the good work and just get back on track.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i always just make sure my weekly cals are pretty balanced so if u have a bad day the rest of the week can stop it effecting ur weigh in
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would say most likely it is water retention from all the sodium. Pizza is a killer in the sodium department. Drink a ton of water and get some good sweaty workouts in this weekend and I be that is all gone in a few days.