Supplements to Aid in weight loss???

Options
Hello Everyone!

I'm relatively new to MFP....about 2, weeks in and I have done the yo-yo dieting, and the starvation diets and a bunch of other unhealthy stuff, including diet pills. Some diet pills I have taken worked, but at the cost of making me feel terrible-- headaches, rapid heartbeat, fatigue, etc. Now that I am approaching weight loss from a clean-er eating and healthy perspective, I am wondering are their any natural supplements that have worked as aids to you all in weight loss. Some in particular I have read about are Fish Oil, Glucomannan, Green Tea, and Spirulina. Have any of you found supplements help, be it as a fat burner, hunger reducer, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Chalk. It's awesome for improving your grip.
    Water. It's awesome for drinking, and swimming. Sometimes I wash myself with it.
    Food. It's awesome too.
    And ibuprofin for when I do something stupid.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fish oil - I took this regularly while I was losing weight. I also took it regularly when I was gaining weight. I think it's very good for you but does nothing for weight loss.

Green tea - I prefer black tea but I've drank enough green tea to know that it never helped me with weight loss. But agin, drinking it is very good for you because it has healthy antioxidants. Green tea supplements (pills) do not have the same antioxidants. You need to brew it.

I dont' know what those other things you mentioned are.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There is this fantastic weight-loss aide that I found & it has NO side effects what-so-ever!

It's called eating in moderation
    And before you think I'm being sarcastic, I know it is very hard to do - I've been a yo-yo in the past myself, but in the last 2 years I realized I'm not getting younger & my body doesn't need "junk". Whenever you take a supplement, you also have to remember that there are binders & fillers in it & some kind of capsule or hard shell that your body still has to break down. Often, your body barely absorbs even a 1/4 of the supplement itself!

If you modify your food choices, amounts you're eating at each meal (yes, this means weighing/measuring EVERYTHING!!!!) you will feel & see a difference. It will NOT happen overnight, it may not even happen over a month. It will, however, happen.
    This doesn't mean you have to eat "clean" all the time and never enjoy treats, this just means EVERYTHING, even things that are good for you, in moderation. And while, yes, you will have you down days, pig out days, and off days, this journey is 4-Life. It's not a one-time-fix-it-all; it's a go-for-it-to-live-life-to-the-fullest.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am normally against fat loss aids, but the ones you mention are okay. None of them will replace a Caloric deficit, however.

Fish oil - Good for you all around. Unless you eat lots of fish or flax, you're probably deficient in Omega-3 fats. These fats are very likely to become fat-burning hormones.

Glucomannan - Fiber. Take with lots of water. Will help fill you up if taken before a meal. Also helps you poo.

Green tea - Contains stuff that supposedly help you burn fat. I don't believe that. But green tea has many proven health benefits, so drink away!

Spriulina - Algae. Has some nutrients.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Duplicate.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Huh, lots of sarcasm today. I posted earlier about holy basil. Google it. I am enjoying a better outlook on life, a clear mind, and it is easier to stick to my meal plan without any side effects.
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For all of the sarcasm in this thread, you really can NOT comment if you have no answer to the ACTUAL question I asked! That's really annoying.

A.) I'm fully aware that you need to make permanent healthy life changes. I am NEW to MYFITNESSPAL NOT NEW TO WEIGHT LOSS. I lost 40 pounds on my own before coming here so please save all of the beginner pep talks and extraneous info for someone else. Thanks.

B.) If you read what I ACTUALLY WROTE, I clearly said I am not for unhealthy weight loss aids like diet pills anymore, and every single thing I listed is an herb or vitamin. ADDITIONALLY I asked for an aid, as in a helper, not a "magic pill". I am fully aware those don't exist, so be clear that thats not what I am asking about or looking for.

C.) If you don't have an answer to MY QUESTION, feel free to read this post and move on. Thanks Again.

For those who have given me a positive/thoughtful/helpful response, thank you for taking the time to answer my question :-)
  • hikeout470
    Options
    No offense, but it sounds like you really could use a good dose of holy basil.. smile :D
  • rydanip
    rydanip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    actually, I was having a nice time enjoying my day off and browsing this site until a few rude ppl stopped in...maybe THEY need the holy basil :-) I'll google it though
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Try CLA at 6 grams/day (2 grams with three meals) for 6 weeks.
  • FLGatorGrl
    Options
    Agreed CLA. My Doctor recommended this.
  • misssugarnspice
    Options
    I'm also new to MFP, but I have found the GNC Womens Active Multipack to be a great option. It gives me energy and keeps my hunger in check. (the ginger root vitamin) The pills are larger than I prefer but there are NO side effects.:smile:
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    In general, I don't like to consider supplements that claim to have a direct impact on weight loss. It's just a personal thing. I'm a little paranoid and I assume they're hoaxes.

I do take a multi-vitamin and fish oil. Both of these help normal metabolic (or just overall bodily) processes, and thus may aid indirectly in weight loss, assuming a caloric deficit. Whatever helps you be healthier will aid in weight loss with the right nutrition etc.

Every time I see a commercial about whatever wonder drug that let's you eat whatever you want and lose weight, I just roll my eyes.
  • Cassandraemilyann
    Options
    I absolutely love green tea! Dr. Oz says to add more citrus fruits to your diet to reduce body fat so I've been trying that. I take AbCuts, many consider it a diet pill but my Dr. okayed it and it's helped me. I take fish oil pills and a daily vitamin when I'm not taking AbCuts though. Hope this helps! :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to MFP, but I have found the GNC Womens Active Multipack to be a great option. It gives me energy and keeps my hunger in check. (the ginger root vitamin) The pills are larger than I prefer but there are NO side effects.:smile:

Vitamins and minerals DO NOT GIVE ENERGY, only the 3 macros can supply the body with energy.
  • hikeout470
    Options

Vitamins and minerals DO NOT GIVE ENERGY, only the 3 macros can supply the body with energy.

A little short sighted. You need them for your body to be able to utilize the macros to the best ability...
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I'm relatively new to MFP....about 2, weeks in and I have done the yo-yo dieting, and the starvation diets and a bunch of other unhealthy stuff, including diet pills. Some diet pills I have taken worked, but at the cost of making me feel terrible-- headaches, rapid heartbeat, fatigue, etc. Now that I am approaching weight loss from a clean-er eating and healthy perspective, I am wondering are their any natural supplements that have worked as aids to you all in weight loss. Some in particular I have read about are Fish Oil, Glucomannan, Green Tea, and Spirulina. Have any of you found supplements help, be it as a fat burner, hunger reducer, etc?

Thanks!

I started taking glucomannan last year before I really started watching my calories. Glucomannan is not a metabolic booster, but rather a root extract that contains some polymeric substances that hold and expand with water. I do not know if it blocks calories from being absorbed (a claim made by some manufacturers). I do know that taking glucomannan before meals with a glass of water tends to make me feel fuller from the calories I consume during the subsequent meal. It also makes me drink water before the meal which in itself is one of those things that adds to fullness. The second benefit I note is that my digestive system regularity and consistency is much improved. I have continued to take glucomannan--it is relatively inexpensive and has benefits to me in my regular diet.
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    Sorry that some people here were rude, just ignore them. I began a couple of months ago with just exercise and calories and my weight loss was going slower than I wanted. I did three things and saw a difference. 1). I began taking the GNC Active womans pack, 2) I made sure that no matter how many calories I burned, I still ate the net calories I was supposed to, and 3) I got a heart rate monitor so I could truly monitor my calories burned thru exercise.

Finally, I also take L Carnitine. All of these together jump started the weight loss.
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    I absolutely love green tea! Dr. Oz says to add more citrus fruits to your diet to reduce body fat so I've been trying that. I take AbCuts, many consider it a diet pill but my Dr. okayed it and it's helped me. I take fish oil pills and a daily vitamin when I'm not taking AbCuts though. Hope this helps! :)

I took that for a while too, maybe it was a mental thing but cla does wonders for my waist.
  • ABALASES
    Options
    Hi,

I take Spirulina with Carob 10 days at three months, especially because I am a vegetarian and I need some supplements. I don't think has a direct effect on losing weight but it gives me more energy, which makes me doing more exercises...
    Also, to get more energy I took L Carnitine.
    As said, these supplements influences my weight indirectly by making me work harder on the gym. Together with the healthy diet, it does make the difference.