Weightloss motivation

Options
Hello. I have gained a lot of weight especially tummy fat which led to high sugar however, I want to diet and exercise but don't feel like doing it. Does anyone face similar issue and how to tackle this

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'll second the small changes idea.

I lost weight pretty much eating the same foods I ate before, just more appropriate quantities.
    As for exercise, I started out just walking and then progressed to running, indoor rowing and strength training. Find something you like, and start small. The best exercise is the exercise you'll actually do! And exercise isn't even necessary for weight loss, though it's great for health. It does have the added benefit of allowing you to eat a bit more while losing weight.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Well I guess we all have things we don't feel like doing - but we make ourselves do them.

I think this is just one of those things.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yeah like I don't like exercise either lol. But once i get into a routine i feel so much better. and then hence i can eat better even food gets to be exciting like what im cooking for meal prep cause in general i hate cooking too . lol.

you just need to think of it as like something you have to do.. if you really wanna do , gotta be realistic right, like i know ill never be a gym person.. find something you like to do first off. Could be dancing around in your living room lol. I personally HATE the gym, but I found that with some dumbells and a yoga mat i can do home workout dvds and youtube videos . but if you have alot of weight to lose you can strt with your diet only... you dont really need to "workout" to lose weight. unless your super short like i am.. if i dont workout .. I dont lose much weight , im only 5'2
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    People tend to have a very myopic view of "exercise" and think they need to go to the gym everyday and drone away on stationary cardio equipment, or jump around their living room to some YouTube workout or whatever. You don't have to be doing a bunch of sufferfest workouts to be healthy.

The important thing is to be more active. Most of my exercise is active recreation...I like to ride my bike, I like to mountain bike, I like to hike, I walk my dog most days, I hit the driving range regularly and golf once in awhile, I actively play with my kids in the pool in the summer, I take them down to the soccer fields and kick the ball around with them, I play with them at the skate park, I'm into archery (heading to the range with my kids in a few actually), etc. Unless I'm actively training for a cycling event, I rarely think, "I'm going to go exercise or go workout"...more like, "I'm going to the bow range for an hour or so" or "I'm going to go shoot a quick 9" or "I'm going for a bike ride", etc.

Diet wise, nutritious can also be very delicious...dieting doesn't have to be endless salads and plain chicken and broccoli.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman3 Completely agree. Sometimes we focus too much thought and energy on doing everything the *right* way(whatever that is), it's easy to forget if one simply goes about being busy, active and enjoying life, without the repetition, exact form, etc., etc., you can still be physically fit and healthy. Think back to the olden days where there were few modern conveniences available and everything was done by hand or you had to walk a ways to get to town, all that type of thing.......simple and cheap constant motion.
    Haha just thinking of my dear friend who loves to play with her rocks. She's 74 and has landscaped her whole home herself, including moving substantial size rocks, along with cutting and hauling trees. But wow, is she in shape. :)
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am on the same boat as you.. just started last week.. I gain quite a few pounds. ...40lbs to be exact. I am taking a few suggestions from here too. So far I just started with turn the music while cleaning the kitchen and just moving to the beat..food wise..I am using a small plate instead of my regular one. I am thinking next week I might make a goal of just drinking more water. If I get used to that I'll set a goal of adding one of the suggestions here.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    @AnnPT77 what an inspirational post!! There's always something we can do to move, and have fun doing it. Doesn't have to be all work and no play.
  • Mjbiggs66
    Mjbiggs66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 — wow, that’s awesome! In my heart I want to be an “athlete”. I just need to start thinking like one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Mjbiggs66 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 — wow, that’s awesome! In my heart I want to be an “athlete”. I just need to start thinking like one.

@Mjbiggs66: Yes. You can be an athlete.

My first rowing coach, who I met in my late 40s as a novice, always called us "athletes", from day 1 of training. A great gift she gave me was the belief that someone who is working to improve and accomplish goals in a sport or similar physical activity is an athlete. The key criterion is not how good one is at it at the moment, it's the commitment and striving, the thoughtful work, that matters.

She had us do an exercise where we wrote down 3 things that would have to happen in order for us each to feel like an athlete. I happened to find my list a short few years later, and all of them had happened. I don't remember what all of them were, but I remember what one of them was: Finishing with the pack in a race, not at the end. (Local/regional owing races usually only have 4-6 boats per boat class, so being in the pack often is being in contention for medals, unless 1-2 boats are far superior to the others in their class.)

Not everyone will agree, but I feel like most cases where people say "I'm not an athlete, but . . . " they actually usually are athletes, by my coach's standards.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It took me forever to get to the point where I knew I needed to do something about my weight. I was not only obese, but had high BP and high sugar. I'm in my late 50s and realized if I didn't do something soon, I'd be disabled as a senior citizen. You will know when. Then you just do it. Just know if you don't, the weight won't come off and your sugar won't come down until things change. It's hard, but it's so doable! You can do it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mjbiggs66 wrote: »

To add to @AnnPT77 post...as my laundry list of fun stuff does sound exhausting. I certainly didn't start out there. I started working on my fitness about 10 years ago. My first priority was just to move more...I didn't really worry about "workouts" or anything like that...just move more, as I was quite sedentary at work and my life overall and it was showing in my blood work and other health markers.

Most of the stuff I noted on my laundry list were things I enjoyed when I was in my teens and twenties but became more difficult as I started putting on weight and became increasingly out of shape. By the time I was in my mid 30s I thought all of those things still sounded fun...but I just couldn't do most of them comfortably or with any kind of confidence. At some point I found it absurd that I couldn't even play or do much physically with my young children because it was overly tiring...it was actually quite embarrassing for me because for most of my life I was a competitive track and field sprinter and jumper and dabbled in numerous other sports along the way and was strong, healthy, and fit all through my 20s.

I started out making a deal with myself that I would go on a walk everyday and I would start eating better and watching my portions and my nutrition better. Eventually I decided I wanted to do a little more and took up a C25K program and thought I'd start jogging as that's what most of my fit friends did. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but hacked away at it anyway.

As my fitness and stamina improved, I just started trying different things. Hikes in the mountains became a doable thing again without thinking I was going to die on the trail. Playing with my kids became a fun activity rather than something for which I was going to need a nap afterwards and probably a day or two to recover from soreness. As my overall fitness improved, those things I wanted to do just became more attenable and more enjoyable and I just naturally became more active with increased ability.

I got into cycling somewhat accidentally. My at the time 60 year old mother signed up for a sprint triathlon and asked if I wanted to do it with her. I was somewhat reluctant as it really didn't seem my cup 'o tea but I signed up anyway. I didn't enjoy the training and I'll never do it again, and I didn't even end up doing the race due to an injury a couple weeks before the event date...but it was not all for not as I discovered a passion that I never knew I had for cycling. For the next several year, and up to the pandemic I was regularly doing 1/2 century cycling events and training on the bike. I did one century ride and it's nice to say I did it, but that's about it...it was a bit much for me and went beyond the point of being fun both in training and the actual event. Most of my events were cancelled in 2020 and 2021 but I'm back at it for 2022, albeit I'm keeping it to no more than 25 mile events as this time around I would like to have a bit more balance between training and competing and just enjoying myself and being active.

Keep in mind that all of this is happening between 2012 and 2022...nothing happened overnight. I didn't go from 0 to all of the things instantly...it was all built up and built on over time. Unfortunately, I'm not completely back to square one on the bike, but not far from it either...I have to build back up...in that regard, I'm running a short cycling program on Zwift right now to get my threshold power up a bit and get used to being in the saddle again for longer periods of time...and after that I run a program called "Build me Up"

On that note, once you get your fitness up a bit, signing up for different events can be a fun way to engage in fitness and give a focused goal...pretty much every time I start feeling a bit lazy, I find an event to sign up for and it re-engages me and re-focuses my attention.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13, that's absolutely a great example of the "slippery slope toward improved happiness and quality of life", IMO.

My story is similar: I'd never been an actual athlete (wasn't really encouraged in women when I was growing up in 1950s-60s, plus I was a bookish, chosen-last-in-gym kind of a kid. I got into decent shape (and to a healthy weight) in college, just from having a very physical job, and traveling on foot or by bike on a very large campus (sometimes needing to cover over a mile in the 20 minutes between classes). Then, graduated, got a sedentary job, got fat, pretty much.

When my husband was alive, we did some active things episodically: Canoe-in camping vacations, some XC skiing, Chinese martial arts (which he taught - he was a very active guy) . . . but I was never super consistent, so pretty out of shape throughout. When I was 42, he died (cancer); I pretty much stopped doing anything active then; when I was 44, I got cancer (stage III breast cancer: bilateral mastectomies, 6 months of chemo, 6 weeks of radiation, years of follow-up meds). Right after radiation, I was diagnosed as severely hypothyroid, began treatment for that.

It's hard to describe how physically depleted I was at that point: Class 1 obese, tired, sad, weak, . . . ugh. Plus I had a demanding, stressful, long-hours sedentary job in IT.

That was the point when I realized that if I ever wanted to feel strong, energetic, and - yes - happy ever again, I was going to need to work at it.

Like you, I started slowly, with some yoga classes a couple of times a week through local school adult education. Then, I started doing some of the yoga daily, slowly increasing the poses.

Somewhere around then, friends asked me if I wanted to participate in a 5-mile fun bike/run/walk event with them, on a bike - they'd loan me a bike. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I said I'd try. It felt like kind of a lot, honestly (there were even some hills!), but I did it. I decided to buy a bike (my old one was decrepit and rusted out), and got a hybrid. I'd ride it a few miles at a time, flat bike lanes nearby, not very ambitious, but manageable.

Then I found a "Weight Training for Women" class that was also school adult ed. It turned out to be taught by a super nice guy, powerlifter who loved teaching women (partly because we'd follow instructions more than the guys he also talk, but also - he said - because he loved seeing us discover that we could do more than we thought, get strong). He was really encouraging, met us where we were, but helped us progress well beyond that start, sensibly and gradually. I did that for a couple of years, even joining the Y so I could keep going through class breaks.

Somewhere during that time, there were announcements about a rowing team for breast cancer survivors that the big local university's assistant women's coach was starting. I kind of thought I was out of my league, wondered if I was crazy to even try, but had liked canoeing, so I signed up.

It was addictive, intoxicating. We rowed on water in good weather, indoors in the university's facilities in Winter. They let us row indoors on our own in Winter, in their facilities, as long as there were at least 2 people present. (Some of the collegiate rowers befriended us, would join us doing that.) Team met once a week, we'd meet up other times to machine row.

But that team only happened during the academic year, September through May. I wanted to keep going, so I took the local rowing club's learn to row class, to learn how to row smaller boats (sculling, two oars per person). I started doing that regularly with buddies from my team, and some of the collegiate rowers who rowed at the club over summers. I even went to rowing camps on vacation - a week, rowing 3 times most days, plus other activities.

I was able to pass the swim test for camp, but it was a close thing. Since rowers gotta swim, I took adult learn-to-swim then lap swimming classes at the Y, to improve those skills. I started taking spin classes at the Y a couple of times a week during Winter, then all year long. I started doing aerobics videos during Winter, too, until the low-impact ones I need (bad knees) got to be not vigorous enough to help me progress. I bought my own rowing machine to use at home, trained on that. I started doing the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge most years (200k on the machine between US Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, about 4 weeks).

I competed in rowing machine races, even won a couple of age group medals. I competed in on water races, too, sometimes 4-5 separate races in a day (and I lived through it!). We even medaled (rarely 😉). I kept going to rowing camps, taking coaching workshops, got USRowing coaching certifications.

All of the above took around 10 or so years to roll out - really gradual. Toward the end of that, I retired, had more time. I established a schedule of rowing 4 days most weeks in season on water, machine rowing in Winter (usually with some strength training alongside), took spin classes twice a week all year at the Y, did some Winter pool swimming to stay in practice (I still don't like to swim), took other classes at the Y to see what seemed fun. Generally, I was working out 6 days most weeks.

Though it might surprise some, while training/exercising at that level, I stayed overweight/obese for around 12 years, training regularly. There were various bumps in the road along the way (broken ankle, various minor surgeries, etc.), but finally, at age 59, I had enough bad health stuff still in the picture (like high cholesterol, high BP), that I decided I had to lose weight.

That's when I joined MFP, treated weight loss like a fun science fair experiment for grown-ups, and lost 50+ pounds in just under a year, pretty much keeping up my same workout schedule, just working on the eating side of things, eating mostly the same foods, just different portions/proportions/frequencies to manage the calories.

With the pandemic, I've switched from spin classes at the Y to buying my own stationary bike for Winter. Now I'm alternating stationary bike and machine row 6 days most weeks in Winter, with some strength training and floor exercises; in Spring-Fall, 4 days a week of rowing boats, and a couple of days of biking on paved trails (which has become 10-20 miles easily vs. the 5 or less that used to be hard), often taking 5 mile walks on rowing days at a nice park trail. It's great.

If you'd told 45-year-old me, when I was just finishing cancer treatment, that 66-year-old me would be living this life, I would've laughed and laughed. I'll quote Bob Dylan: "I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now."

Slippery slope, gradually getting fitter, feeling better, finding active things more fun, chasing that fun . . . !

Now, I wish I'd gotten smart younger: Might've been able to avoid that pesky cancer-treatment hobby in there, along with a bunch of other health issues . . . not to mention just having more fun in life along the way.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    @AnnPT77 You are absolutely amazing! And proof positive lives can be changed, one step at a time. Thank you for sharing that with us. <3
  • chunkymonkey570
    chunkymonkey570 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have felt the same and it has taken me a while to realize I have to get into habits and not rely on motivation alone. I set calendar events for every day to set a daily schedule. For example at a certain time I walk, strength train ,etc.It keeps me accountable. I also started journaling each morning and that helps. Each morning i also log my food in myfitnesspal. I try to not give excuses. You got this!