Alpha-gal

Options
tnh2o
tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
Does anyone else have this? I'm still trying to modify my diet. What works for you?

Replies

• iheartcatvids
    iheartcatvids Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago.. hope you are doing better these days!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I don’t have alpha-gal, but I have a boat-load of other allergies. Writing down a list of what I *can* eat and focusing on that, writing my meal plans and shopping lists from that help the most for me.

There is a pinned post in the “most helpful” posts of the nutrition posts, I think (one of the forums, at least) with a huge spreadsheet listing out protein content for hundreds of foods, meats and non-meats. It may be tremendously helpful for you.

@AnnPT77 is a wealth of info on vegetarian and vegan protein sources, too. She might be able to help you navigate the transition as you deal with the tick-borne meat allergy of alpha-gal.

I’m so sorry you guys are having to deal with alpha-gal, but I’m glad they’ve figured it out and you can come up with a plan of action now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I don't feel competent to comment on alpha-gal: I had to do a web search even to know what it is. OP first posted in August 2021, though I see there's a more recent comment.

From that quick web search, I gather that some people with alpha-gal issues can eat some meat, and perhaps other animal products that aren't meat, but not all.

There are lots of good vegetarian protein sources, like legumes, soy foods, seitan (which is gluten, so out if gluten sensitive), among others. Most of those should be listed in the post @Cheesy567 mentioned, which is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Don't be dissuaded when the top things on the protein list there are meats you can't eat. Keep scrolling down the list, there are non-meat sources there, including vegetarian/vegan ones.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's a lot that is not known about alpha gal. Some who have it can't even be around meat on a grill. Some can't eat dairy. I went dairy free for a while but seems I can tolerate it in limited quantities. Rennet from calves made me sick so no Parmigiana Reggiano. I read where some can tolerate venison.
    The hardest part has been medications No gel caps for me. And I've had to check with the manufacturers to see if medicine contains mammal cells and then change medications. BTW the traditional flu shot has mammal cells.
    Thank goodness for the vegans!
  • Toshadry
    Toshadry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My son and I both have alpha gal. We neither can tolerate dairy either. I call it vegan with a twist. It's really jist enhancing your diet. Use ground turkey burger, also you can order ostrich. Which was not bad, reminds me of a red meat.although I've never been a fan of red meat. Do yourself a huge favor if you haven't amd download the fig app. I scan items at the grocery store. It's a full allergy app but they also list alpha gal. It was helpful for my son when he is at friends house and eating as well.