Carb Levels - PCOS

Options
I was just wondering, for those who have lost weight with PCOS...

As you can set your % intake of carbs/protein/fat on myfitnesspal by going through custom settings under food. Rather than the 60/40/20 setting that myfitnesspal defaults to - what level of carbs are you using?

Replies

• sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi I have PCOS and my levels are set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I checked with the nutritionist about this and she approved. I sometimes go out of those ranges but as long as I am still losing, I don't worry too much.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi I have PCOS and my levels are set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I checked with the nutritionist about this and she approved. I sometimes go out of those ranges but as long as I am still losing, I don't worry too much.

I've done the same. I've also made an effort to cut out rice, pasta, bread, and added sugar. (minus the occational craving). I'm just getting started. (8/1) and I've managed to lose a decent amount so far.

Best of Luck!
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks ladies - how long did it take until you started noticing a difference?
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    I have PCOS and have nearly reached a year of proper dieting (with massive gains along the way) but am 86lbs lighter than this time last year (I have been 92lbs lighter but working off another gain at the moment!)

I have tried to set the levels as suggested but can't find the settings.... I am low-carbing anyway but wondering how I can tell whether I've had too much... think my suggested carb intake is something like 165 at the moment and 1200 cals a day...

MKB83 - do you mean symptom wise?
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options

I've done the same. I've also made an effort to cut out rice, pasta, bread, and added sugar. (minus the occational craving). I'm just getting started. (8/1) and I've managed to lose a decent amount so far.

Best of Luck!

Thats how ive set mine up to and ive had a steady weight loss over the last 2/3 weeks.
  • MKB83
    MKB83 Posts: 31
    Options
    MKB83 - do you mean symptom wise?

I meant weight wise.. the biggest symptom I have is no ovulation, which I'm back on the pill now to regulate.

I've cut out all the simple carbs (bread/pasta/rice/sugar etc) & alcohol, exercising daily, and whatnot, but after 2 wks have lost 2 lbs. I understand the process will be slower (and more frustrating) than before PCOS though. I wish I could say that I've had a big change after a couple weeks, but honestly I don't think I've noticed any difference in the scale or measurements (but figure really it's going to take 4-6, possibly 8 weeks to really notice anything).
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it. It can be a slower process as your body is adjusting to these changes. Just don't give up!

I had stopped having a period and had not really had one in about 4 years. After I lost about 50 lbs- the period returned which helps me feel normal again. It has been on time every month since then. Like everyone else I stay away from pasta, white bread, white rice and try to get in as many veggies as I can. I also walk to work and go to the gym at least 4-5 days per week. I have been doing this for a about year and have lost 62 lbs so far! I have gained a bit here there as well but I stick with it.

Sometimes I feel discouraged because I feel I should be losing more but I realize that this about more than the number on the scale and it will take time. Hang in there. Seems like you are on the right track.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies - how long did it take until you started noticing a difference?

The weight started coming off right away. I've kept losing about 1-2lbs a week. As far as other PCOS symptoms are concerned, my acne seems to have gotten worse, but my periods have had a mind of their own dispite being on BCP. I dont know if thats a good thing or not. But I'm going to count it as progress.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    10% carbs / 30% protein / 60% fat.

56 pounds lost since February
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein on recommendation from my doctor.
    1-2 lb / week, 36 lb since March (possibly more; got a new scale at one point & discovered the old one had been off a bit)
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I was born with PCOS. It will never go away for me. I can trace my symptoms back to the age of 6.

I think 2 pounds is a great loss.

As long as I'm not getting hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic due to insulin resistance issues, the "diet" is working. I eat a Low GI diet.