More fibre?

Options
i am just about hitting my fibre goal of 25g/day - if anyone has any suggestions for high fibre dinner/lunch recipes i would really appreciate it! I'm sick of psyllium on porridge!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Anything wholegrain/wholewheat and fruit and veg.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options

Too many to list...

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+fiber+foods

Pick the food you like.. good luck.

• Frieswithdatshake
    Frieswithdatshake Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Fiber isn't a necessary nutrient. But chia seed pudding (1/4 c or 45g chia seeds, 1 cup liquid and some berries) will boost it dramatically if you feel you need it.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Any fruit, vegetable, beans and whole grains will contain fiber. Pick what you like. You can't overdose on fiber. Its a necessary nutrient for bowel health, improves satiety, cholesterol and hormonal regulation.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Any fruit, vegetable, beans and whole grains will contain fiber.

This, plus (some) nuts and seeds.

Beans and lentils are the fiber powerhouses, and raspberries and avocados are both good sources too.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I like using high fiber tortillas.
    La Banderita has a "Carb Counter" tortilla that has 11g of fiber and 4g of protein at only 50 calories each (take that, fiber one).
  • skybluebear
    skybluebear Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Everyone here throwing around eat more fruit. As constructive as the intentions might be, eating more takes me over my sugar target quicker than reaching my fibre target. So not seeing this as a solution.

Same goes for seeds and nuts for reaching fats daily limit faster than fibre.

So does anyone have a different suggestion?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and beans/lentils, as noted above.

But also why are you concerned about sugar from fruit or fat from non-animal sources? I know MFP has certain limits, but those are something of general guidelines (for fat and the other macros) or an average without knowing your diet. In particular, their sugar limit includes all sugars (with a guess about how much you get from fruit/veg/dairy) while the actual limits from health organizations focus only on added or free sugars. I've never seen anything from a credible source suggesting that there's a need to limit sugar bc of sugar (unless one has insulin resistance and has to be careful about carbs and even then many people find they don't have issues with blood sugar spikes with many fruits).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Everyone here throwing around eat more fruit. As constructive as the intentions might be, eating more takes me over my sugar target quicker than reaching my fibre target. So not seeing this as a solution.

I don't track sugar at all, so I cannot comment on the impact of natural (co-occurring with fiber) vs. added sugars. But regarding fat, I consider my fat goal a minimum, not a limit. I understand fats use up your calorie budget faster than other nutrients, but there is a daily minimum needed for essential body functions (hormone synthesis, skin health, micronutrient absorption, etc.) My meals tend to be low fat so I rely on high fat snacks to reach my fat minimum. (~0.35g per pound body weight). If I exceed my fat target while staying in range on calories, I consider that a W.

Regarding fiber, I'm a smallish person with TDEE ~1750. Even when deficit eating @~1500, I routinely get 35-40g fiber without resorting to psyllium or supplements. I typically eat one piece of fruit daily and 100-200g vegetable (raw weight) with each meal. I hear you about nuts and seeds being super caloric, but even on my calorie budget I manage to eat them every day.

All those little bits add up but what really puts my fiber over the top, as mentioned above, is legumes. I make sure to have some every day. I usually throw 30g of dry lentils in whatever soup I'm making for lunch, and I also make a big pot of beans for the week -- black beans, pintos, less often red beans (small kidney) or cowpeas. If I know I'm not having beans at lunch, I'll have them with an egg for breakfast (fast microwave breakfast high in everything -- protein, fat and fiber) or as a side at dinner.

I have tried pasta made with lentils, and I know others love that, but I do not. For the calories, I prefer the taste and texture of normal wheat flour pasta. But I actually like beans a lot and would prefer just eating them as beans rather than disguised as pasta or tortillas. But to each her own.

I think fiber is a little like protein in that it's hard to meet your daily minimum with one food but a lot easier if you can tuck in a meaningful amount in each meal and snack.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good. Berries, beans, oatmeal, lentils, and chia seeds have good amounts of fiber.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

There isn't anything magical about MFP's default macro ratios...not that they are unreasonable, but there's nothing special about them that you need to hit them bang on or anything.

I don't eat much in the way of added sugar, so I don't even track it as added sugar is the concern for most health bodies. I try to eat a couple of servings of fruit daily. lower sugar options would be berries if that is really a legitimate concern.

I also eat more dietary fat than MFP's defaults as I consume a fair amount of heart healthy fats in the form of nuts, avocados, avocado oil, and fatty fish like salmon and tuna which I typically eat 4-5 times per week. These are very good for you fats.

The biggest bang for your buck in regards to fiber is going to be things like oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, and seeds. Root vegetables are also good, especially for things like potatoes if you eat the skin. Cruciferous vegetables are also a good source of fiber as vegetables go...as are peas...which are actually a legume.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

I was going over my default sugar goal every day while losing weight (at a good clip), when the only added sugar I ate most days was a tiny bit of concentrated fruit juice well down the ingredient list in a single daily 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. I was getting enough protein, enough healthy fats, and 5-10 servings of veggies/fruit (which covered fiber and micros goals quite nicely), typically on 1400-1600 calories plus exercise calories.

I eat a little more added sugar now, in maintenance, but it's well below the USDA/WHO guidelines . . . but my MFP sugar goal is still exceeded (by around 10-20g most days, though it varies). I average 40-50 grams of fiber daily, the latter from a variety of veggies, grains, and probably at least 3 fruit servings most days, if not more. I am readily maintaining a healthy weight, hitting (usually exceeding) other MFP nutritional goals, and my health markers are excellent. I see no problem, since I'm not diabetic or insulin resistant.

The MFP sugar goal, for the reasons lemur indicates, is a blunt instrument. I've read the text rationales behind the USDA/WHO guidelines, which are along the lines that excessive added sugar tends either to force someone over reasonable calories (cause obesity) if they're getting decent nutrition, or leave them with sub-par nutrition if they're hitting proper calories, plus that sugar increases the chances of dental cavities (for which preventive actions are obvious).

MFP had no option to track added sugar separately, as those bodies' guidelines would logically lead one to want to do, because food labels didn't separately list added sugar (in the US) until recently. Someday, when the database is more fully populated with that data, MFP might be able to do that, approximately. Not now.

For now, if you're getting good overall nutrition, and hitting your calorie goal, there's no reason, IMO, to be concerned about the MFP sugar goal, which at best is a rough approximation of something meaningful.

Personally, I took sugar off my MFP diary columns, added fiber instead, and haven't given MFP's sugar goal a thought since, other than commenting on threads like this. Since it doesn't track a meaningful thing, it's a distraction from the Main Big Deal, adequate overall nutrition at reasonable overall calories.