Running friends?

Hi, My name is Jill. I am back to regular running and calorie counting, would like to add some friends who also run. Just for motivation and to encourage others. Maybe even if you don’t run, just be nice to have a few more friends on here. Thanks for reading if you did! 🤗

Replies

• RookieRunner76
    RookieRunner76 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Jill! Have you been running for a long time? What does your routine currently look like? I started only a few months ago but I’m enjoying it and want to improve! 🏃🏻‍♂️
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Hi! I started C25K 2 weeks ago. I’m by no means a runner- yet. But I hope to be someday. I’m liking the program and I’m actually sticking with it. I’m having a tougher time staying within my calories and tracking though 🙄
  • RookieRunner76
    RookieRunner76 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2022
    :)
  • mim619
    mim619 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi Jill, you can add me. I run about 25mpw in maintenance and will be training for my first full marathon in the fall.
  • MomBehavingDadly
    MomBehavingDadly Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Jill, I'm a former avid runner looking to get some online friends to help with accountability and so forth. 43F still trying to shed those last 20 lbs. Please free free to add me. I'm hoping to get back into race day shape!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm getting back into the running thing myself. Took time away (work was crazy and got sidetracked), then got The Rona, so that sidelined me big time. Started C25K last week, so I'm hoping to get back into form again. Feel free to add me, I'll be running 3X a week!
  • atrgemini
    atrgemini Posts: 50 Member
    I'm a runner; usually do a 5k every other day and a 10 once a week. It just depends how much I hike and how my routes vary. Nice to meet you Jill.
  • amberchecker
    amberchecker Posts: 22 Member
    I'm in. I'm currently starting my running routine again. I just need a good pair of sneakers though, anyone got any ideas?
  • angela_boinkers
    angela_boinkers Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, you can add me! I used to be a distance runner, stopped, and am now starting up again. It’s quite humbling.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Hello runners! I restarted C25K about 5 weeks ago and just recently made it up to 3.1 miles distance. I seem to lose motivation and interest after a couple months so I'd also like to find some running friends for inspiration.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    I'm in. I'm currently starting my running routine again. I just need a good pair of sneakers though, anyone got any ideas?

The common recommendation is people will tell you to go to a running store and get professionally fitted into a shoe. I've had mixed results with that so I'm not sure that's entirely necessary.

First I would recommend searching for a guide on how to choose the right type of shoe for your foot. Basic Pronation (Neutral), Over Pronation (Stability), Supination. Then you can look at brands. I've had good luck with Brooks, Asics, NB, and Mizuno. Also look at Hoka and Saucony.

Here's an example guide https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a20842305/how-to-buy-the-right-running-shoes/
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited January 2022
    Feel free to add me. I jog about 5 days out of the week. It can be as little as 2 miles, but If weather is nice I’ve been known to get into a Forrest Gump mode and before I know it I’ll go on a 10 mile jog.
  • dbcrunner
    dbcrunner Posts: 8 Member
    I’m happy to join you on this journey. I run/jog about 9 miles per week. Not very fast.
  • atrgemini
    I didn't know where else to start in the forums so I figured I'd go back to my list of runners that kicked it off.

I have a question related to running, in general, and the effect it has on the body. Before you answer (if you know) it's not runner's gut - what I'm trying to explain. I've mostly never had runner's gut except once or twice, and it's never been like the feeling I'm trying to describe right now.

So I think I started my fitness routine somewhere around 274 pounds in June 2021; I don't believe I started running until I had reached about 260, because I completed my first 5k sometime in August 2021 for a Parkinson's charity through work. Back then and up until about October or November, the biggest problem I had was back pain - a result of poor posture when running as well as running with so much extra baggage, is my guess - but I don't really experience this anymore, likely as a result of the continued endurance training.

The last 2 weeks or so, I've noticed that during and after a run, I get this dull pain in my (abs?) on both sides that you feel after doing a bunch of sit-ups. Honestly, it's not sharp, but it is tiresome and has been affecting my ability to run consistently and my speeds have declined. I can't really find anything on the internet about it, and was just wondering if any of you had an explanation for it? I'm currently at 207 pounds. I have been running further, a little at a time - 2.3 miles, to 2.8 miles, to 3.2 miles, all the way up to 4. However, between the 3.2 - 4 mile mark has been where this pain usually gets to a point where I have to stop for 10-15 seconds to walk and catch my breath/rest my legs.

Side note: I am a heavy vaper (quitting again as soon as I hit target weight, one demon at a time); but the pain isn't in my lungs. My best guess at this point is that it has something to do with how I am breathing during my run and that it's my diaphragm acting up, because it also kind of resembles the pain or cramping you get when you have a real good crying laugh.
  • DonovanJM
    DonovanJM Posts: 15 Member
    I'm about to start running again on Tuesday! Doing a relay race in August and can't put off the training any longer. I would love others to chat and motivate with
  • bccoast
    bccoast Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2022
    Hi all! I am a little late to this but would love to connect with some other runners. I have been an on again off again runner since I was a teen (I'm now 40), and have been back at it fairly consistently since the end of summer. This week I signed up for my first full marathon! I've run a half before but was significantly lighter than I am now though I will lose a bit on my path to my marathon-I trend to keep things pretty well on track in my life when I'm running. My marathon isn't until the fall so I have lots of time to prepare.
    I have to admit that since the forums have changed since I participated last I do not know how to add friends.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Hi. Fellow runner over here 🙂

Been running for a few years and love challenges so have some ultras/marathons and a ten in ten under my belt.

I'm not super fast or anything, just a stubborn idiot 🙂

Always happy to have new running friends if you wanted to add me
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    minnelizzy wrote: »
    Hi! I started C25K 2 weeks ago. I’m by no means a runner- yet. But I hope to be someday. I’m liking the program and I’m actually sticking with it. I’m having a tougher time staying within my calories and tracking though 🙄

Just want to tell you --- you ARE a runner. =D
  • atrgemini
    I was telling Jill last week, I'm like 90% set on attempting my first half-marathon on March 5th/6th. I haven't committed yet because I want to see how my last long run next week goes. I struggled a bit last week after completing an 11.5 mile session on Monday - legs wouldn't work right, and by Friday I could barely even make them move.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Feel free to add me. I jog 5-6 times a week.