low fiber diet

Options
I am suppose to be on a low fiber diet and my question is how many fiber a day is a good goal?

Replies

• MichMimi12
    MichMimi12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Newbie here! I just got out of the hospital after serious complications with my gall bladder and stomach becoming entangled in mesh from a previous hernia, resulting in a bowel obstruction. I am supposed to start on a very low fiber diet, maximum 15 grams/ day. Hopefully this will give my body time to heal. I believe the recommended amount is 30 mg fiber / day.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You should probably be working with a medical professional to figure this out - at minimum a registered dietitian.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The best person to answer this question is the person who told you to be on a low fiber diet. If it was a doctor who gave you no further info, shame on them. Ask to be referred to a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist if you are in the US.)

You should be able to start the process of getting more info or a referral over the phone or via secure messaging. I'm with the VA and I can email questions. My mother's health care providers all have "patient portals" in which she can email questions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this is as directed by a Dr...so the Dr. would be the one to ask. I eat a pretty high fiber diet, so my idea of low may not jive with your Dr's definition of low.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The OP posted in 2013, so I’m guessing they’ve figured it out by now.