Home or Gym Workouts

Options
do you prefer to workout at home or the gym? Why?

I've always had a hard time sticking to home based fitness; I like having a place to go. But that can be tough too and I've seen a lot of people getting good results from home based workouts. Thoughts?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I get more out of doing it at home because I cut out travel time, I also like that I can do it whenever - AND do it while the kids are sleeping! My garage IS a gym, with treadmill, punching bag, pole, weight bench, elliptical, spin bike, and kettle balls, I'm lucky enough that I have space for all that equipment so that I never get bored, I think boredom is the main reason working out at home doesn't work
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym but it's a lot of money per year. I would love to have a home gym but my house is very small. Not sure what I will do next spring :frown:
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ya my house is small too... I have space for weights, a yoga mat, and to do DVDs/wii but that's about it. Seems like I push myself more when I'm working out in front of other people.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym to work out! Seeing other people of all shapes and sizes working just as hard as me motivates me!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Ya my house is small too... I have space for weights, a yoga mat, and to do DVDs/wii but that's about it. Seems like I push myself more when I'm working out in front of other people.
    That's true for me as well, plus the gym has stuff I would never try on my own. I'm thinking about asking the owner if she needs someone to clean the place for her in exchange for free or lower cost membership. It can get pretty grungy.
    I love going to the gym to work out! Seeing other people of all shapes and sizes working just as hard as me motivates me!
    yup!:drinker:
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I haven't been to a Gym yet.

I am at the point though where I want to start working some areas and get more specific information than my Dr can give.

Having said that, to date (last 6 months), I have been listening on the inside, even to the point where I know I should go this way or that on my walk, or what to do in a home workout.

I have not spent any money on this yet, except shoes and inserts for my shoes. Not even equipment or DVD, just what is at hand.

For weights I used to borrow my sons, then I thought up an idea of filling 2 or 3litre milk bottles with water, and using them as 2 or 3 kg weights. They help balance me when I do crunches or some yoga / pilates-type moves.

I have found a lot of info on the web and in books at the library for home-workouts.

I'd like to get a PT at some point - maybe get something started at my work.

Being on a very tight budget means I HAVE to be stingey, but folks who can afford other ways should not be avoiding them.

My goal is to get the weight down and my health to a point where some other exercises are easier ... let's see how it all pans out for me. When the opportunities arise I grab them.

I am considering suggesting a gym membership as a birthday present, but part of that has to be some guidance when I get there cuz I'd have NO clue where to start.

Hope this helps.

Gary
  • Raytae
    Options
    For me the gym works the best. i can focus, there are no ditractions, i can zone in. when im at home i have a hard time getting a solid workout in.
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    For me the gym works the best. i can focus, there are no ditractions, i can zone in. when im at home i have a hard time getting a solid workout in.

I feel the same way... The home workout is great in theory but never quite works out for me!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    If I had a really big house and could afford the equipment I wanted, I would have a home gym. But right now, with the availability of equipment and variety, I choose a gym. Home workouts are okay without equipment, but for me you can only go so far without resistance.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym, and I go to a Crossfit affiliate. Best of both worlds.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I like both but for different purposes. For a serious workout- I have to go to my gym to cut distractions and get into the mood. At home, I enjoy doing video workouts which is an added bonus to my workout plan and I can do it in the comfort of my living room. :) I have a treadmill at home but I just dont like using it like I do with the ones at the gym. I think having other people working out around me helps me keep going and stay focused.