Worked my *kitten* off all week and feels like nothing in return

Options
I'm sure everyone's gone through this in their first few weeks, but the scales this morning felt like a kick in the bum. After a week of hard work, daily walks, calorie counting and cutting out junk I only lost half a pound. :( I'm probably just being impatient, but I was really hoping to see better results today :(

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Great response above by @Lietchi. I'd just ask how much you need to lose? If it's 30 lbs or less, 1/2 lb a week is just where it should be. I'd also ask if you're making new habits? The trick to weight loss and keeping it off, is to do things you can keep up forever--they become habits.
    Do an exercise you like and try new things. Eat food you like, just make sure you're within your calorie goal. Another important point is patience. This will take time. Read the Success threads when you get discouraged.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    A half pound in a week is actually a very good rate of loss. Also, what the scale does in a given week is meaningless. When I was losing, I would often have the scale not budge for weeks on end and then suddenly drop.

Did that mean that some weeks my diet wasn't working and then some weeks it was? No, of course not, it just means that some weeks the results are obscured on the scale and some weeks they aren't.

Remember, the scale doesn't measure your body fat, it measures everything, and fat isn't the only thing that changes.

You don't need the scale to tell you that you are sticking to your diet properly, if you are, you know it, and the results will come.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Don’t let your brain wreck you. Never use the word only and lost in the same sentence. No matter where you are in the process that .5 lb was between you and goal weight. It had to go. Now it’s gone.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Aoife_Eile wrote: »
    Thanks guys, and you're definitely right, patience is a virtue! I think I was just feeling a bit down on myself the last couple of days and I needed this as some kind of a "win". Thinking back I'm focusing on the positives:
    • It was a minus, not a plus!
    • I kept to all my goals during the week
    • I started doing tricep dips which I'm improving more and more on every day

I've 18lb to lose so am probably right about where I should be, I think I was just too hard on myself which I should work on.

Positives are good, and also consider thinking in terms of process (habit) goals, rather than loss rate goals.

If you're logging, and working to make it accurate, that's a process goal.
    If you're (making things up, that are optional but maybe useful, pick your own) working on eating more veggies, or drinking enough water, or hitting your protein goal every day, etc., those are process goals.
    If you have an exercise plan (sensible one, little bit of challenge, not exhausting!), executing that plan is a process goal.

And so forth.

Why? We have control over the process. We don't - as Wolfman's very realistic charts illustrate - have control over when the results of that process will come. But if the estimates are right, and the process is right, results will come.