Help please

Been calorie counting for 2 weeks as of today I went from 247lbs to 240lb in first week and in second week just bouncing back and forth from 240 to 242 please help

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Are you weighing and tracking your food accurately? Have you increased your fiber, salt, or fluid intake. Are your "hormones" at that "time"? Remember, weighloss is not linear. It can be up and down. I suggest getting a weight trending app and using it. Also, remember to weigh in at the same time, same scale, in the same clothing. An example of my current, unintended "cut" d1oroykaq0ct.jpg
  • lisaambers1
    lisaambers1 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes I have been weighing and tracking accurately 100% everything I eat drink lick taste bite I just don’t know why I’m yo-yoing the same 2lbs all week it’s very frustrating
  • KristiiAly
    KristiiAly Posts: 40 Member
    I agree with Lietchi, it’s very common! I think what’s important here to remember is maintaining your mindset where it should be-wanting to be healthy. Keep up the good work! I know you’re going to continue to do great so long as you try. 🤩🥳
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Yes I have been weighing and tracking accurately 100% everything I eat drink lick taste bite I just don’t know why I’m yo-yoing the same 2lbs all week it’s very frustrating

Learn to trust the process and give it time. Often, tissue loss can be hidden by changes in retain body fluid and waste products. Good news, as far as I know, the law of thermodynamics still exist! Many of us didn't gain loads of weight overnight, so it won't come off overnight. Another piece of good news is, time dieting is usually less than time we put it on! Learn and adjust. You will be just FINE!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Congratulations, you're normal! (Kidding around, but others are correct when saying that losses won't be linear, and that a quick loss followed by a pseudo stall is a common pattern.)

While you're sticking with the process to see what the result is in another 2-4 weeks (4-6 weeks or one whole menstrual cycle on this routine) . . . you might want to read this, as background explanation of why bodies are weird in this way:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Having expectations in line with what's common and normal is helpful, I think - in that sense, that article at the link can be reassuring.

Hang in there, you're doing fine!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    The initial drop is going to be from water mostly. Diligent CONSISTENT calorie deficit and making sure you're counting calories accurately will keep you on the path. If you don't weigh your food, I highly suggest it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    @lisaambers1 absolutely - stick to it and kick butt! I just want to echo everything @Lietchi said about time and patience and encourage you to read the physiqonomics article @AnnPT77 posted if you haven't yet. That article helped me tremendously. It took 60 days of true consistency to see a breakthrough. Also, I use the free Happy Scale app to show me trends rather than just seeing the jagged lines. You're doing great! Keep your plan sustainable, be consistent, and you'll see results with time.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    You’ve received superlative advice above.

In the immortal words of Galadriel, your quest stands upon the edge of a knife.

Do you get frustrated and quit, like so many do? Or do you stick it out for another thirty days to learn how this works.

If you are counting as accurately and honestly as you indicate, your body will fall back into sync.

Right now, it’s just a little surprised at all the changes, and reacting accordingly. You’ll always have a little up and down zig zag, but as long as your trend is ultimately downward, you’re golden. I zig and zag even in maintenance.

As others say, weight adjustment right now could be due to water retention (or dehydration), waste moving through the body, water retention resulting from new exercise, your monthly, not your monthly, moon phase, salt intake, insomnia, stress level. Pretty much any old thing, lol.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 195 Member
    As everyone else has said, don't get discouraged by the up and down. The 7 lbs of weight loss in the first week was mostly water, not fat. It would be just about impossible to loose 5 lbs of fat in one week, even if you ate nothing. So, you had some sudden water loss, and then your body realized it was dehydrated and started holding on to some more water. You are still down 5 lbs in two weeks, which is fantastic, and probably faster than you should be doing sustained weight loss over time. So be happy with your progress. If you keep doing what you did in the first week to loose weight, I guarantee you will keep loosing.
  • shannonhlester
    shannonhlester Posts: 1 Member
    A 2 lb even up to a 5 lb fluctuation in weight is a normal human fluctuation.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Been calorie counting for 2 weeks as of today I went from 247lbs to 240lb in first week and in second week just bouncing back and forth from 240 to 242 please help

The request of yours has a broad set of responses, but, as one may be more accurate than another, you'd have to provide more information than weight fluctuations, and your 'form' of calorie counting.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    edited February 2022
    I'm in maintenance and my current weight fluctuates by +/- 5lbs. Regularly. So...I'd suggest not getting too bogged down by the numbers. Try to take a step back and look at overall trends as time goes on. That's the data that's useful.

Happy there are answers here that make you feel better. I'd also maybe suggest not weighing every week and switching to every other week. If it's going to have a negative affect on you to see the scale go up - why put yourself through it? It's going to do that, which is unavoidable. So if you get to a spot where it doesn't bother you and you like the weekly data, that's great. But, you could also go to every other week and still get consistent data and maybe save a headache or two. =D