Hey, Home Exercisers!

Options
If u are a home exerciser, what do u like to do?
How do u keep yourself from getting distracted & stay motivated at home?
What equipment do you have/use regularly?
Favorite games/DVDs?

I seem to have a hard time working out at home; too distracting and I don't push myself as hard as I do when I'm around other people working out. But it sure would save time if I could get into it a couple days a week. Currently, this is my equipment:
Yoga mat
Swiss ball
Adjustable free weights
1 resistance band
Wii
Mini trampoline

Anything you can suggest? Anything I should definitely purchase? All suggestions welcome :)

Replies

• tilaisabel
    Options
    Hi there! I workout at home because I do find that it saves time. I use a treadmill for cardio work plus weights and a weight ball for strength training. I have found it to be very effective especially since I can change the incline and speed levels on the treadmill to create change in my workouts. The only downside of this is if I want to try different equipment I can't since I am not that close to the gym. However considering the time crunch I am under I find that its worth working out at home :-)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Do you excersice in your bed room with the door closed. People have a tendancy to give you privacy if the door is closed. Even my kids know to knock and wait to come in if my door is closed and they are 5 and 8. Plus that way if your feel stupid no one sees you (say trying out ta new work out routine) lol good luck:flowerforyou:
  • is4031
    Options
    For me it's running, biking, jumping rope, and free weights (power blocks.) Power blocks are easily the best piece(s) of equipment I've ever bought. That and a HRM.
  • lolomichelle13
    lolomichelle13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just got the Zumba for Wii. If you don't have it yet, I suggest you get it!! It is definitely a fun way to workout. Yesterday at work I had one of the Zumba songs in my head all day and found myself doing the moves in my head and even slightly dancing in my chair :) It doesn't even feel like a workout, because it's so fun. The time goes by very quickly, you don't even notice you've been doing it that long.

My 2 dogs are also my equipment. Since I started back into getting more active, they've been very happy with the long walks they are getting :)
  • karrilee7
    karrilee7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also work out at home and really like to use the exercise ball. I use the Core Secrets "Bun Battle" and "Ab Assault" DVDs the most. I really noticed a difference in my legs, thighs and butt using the Bun Battle after a couple of weeks! I also am lucky enough to live in an apartment, so I have a small exercise room with an elliptical machine that I love! You burn a lot more calories than on a treadmill and it's still a great cardio workout. I also go for walks with friends at work on our 15 minute breaks. Hope some of this is helpful for you, and best of luck in your weight "release"! :o)
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I get bored easily so I have an elliptical, stability ball , weight training system, chalean extremme weight dvds, tae bo and P90X. I workout in my cellar and rarely get interupted anymore. How do I keep motivated? I view exercise as buying myself more food to eat since 1200 calories isn't alot, so no exercise no extra food.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    working on increasing my dumbell strength - I live in a 3rd floor walkup & read where ppl exercise on stairs so I practice that at least 4 times a week, I was 'jogging' on them for up to 15 minutes but hurt my knee (doing jumping jacks with that fanatic Jillian Michaels) and had to take a break from that - still walking them tho.
    I LOVE love love the 30 day shred - and am now getting into Kettlebells- I LIKE kettlebells, it's NOT weightlifting (I dont like weightlifting) and Jillian has an EXCELLENT kettlebell workout where she's very specific about the moves.
    My cable channel has fitness on demand - ALL kinds of workouts, belly dancing, etc so I am playing with those for now, trying different things. And I live in a neighborhood with plenty of sidewalks, and very near a park with hiking trails. I take my dogs on the trails & they keep me from walking too slow
    Someday soon I'm going to get a bicycle. I LOVE bicycling and then I'll be GONE all over town. I can ride for hours
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I tell people not to bother me for an hour (maybe I'll get half an hour) and lock myself in the bathroom (we have a large bathroom - fortunate). I slowly run the bath - often making the hot water hotter (?) while working out which assures a certain amount of time while it fills.

The time working out in the limited space and again the time in the bath allows focus on the positive and working through or discarding the negative it is all up very productive.

Gary
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I workout at home all the time. I have my own spinning bikes for cardio. However, my main workouts that you have the equipment for already with exception to the DVDs (maybe), are Jillian Michaels workouts. I have completed the 30Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and right now I am doing the Slim Down. The Slim Down is a combination of the 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I just recently purchased her new one Killer Buns and Thighs. I will be starting that and 6 Week/6 Pack after I complete the Slim Down. My cardio on my bike is mixed in here and there, as well as yoga.

I stay motivated by seeing the results I am seeing and more importantly...feeling. I wake up at 5:30am every morning except on weekends and do my workouts to start my day. On weekends I do them first thing and then get on with my day. Morning workouts are great because then you are done for the day unless you have planned something else for the evening.

Planning is also a key part of staying on track. I have planned my workouts for the next couple months. I have written them down on my calendar so I know exactly what I should be doing each day.

You mentioned that you don't push yourself as hard at home as you do in a class. Just think to yourself,..."i got up early to become a healthier version of ME, so push it, and make that happen" Sometimes in a class situation it becomes a competition(when it shouldn't be) BUT sometimes it does and you may be setting youself up for injury. You might see someone lifting a weight heavier than what you are using, and you may think you should be doing the same, when in fact, they are at another level of fitness then you and you will not benefit from using what they are.

For Jillian's workouts all you need is a mat and free weights.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I workout at home because I can't afford a gym and probably wouldn't go anyway. I used to struggle with consistency but when I started P90X I realized something about myself, if I have a plan (P90X provides a 90 day workout schedule with photo and measurement check ins every 30 days) I do a lot better with my consistency. If I am just picking what exercise I want to do each day with no forethought it's easier for me to bail on it but if I have a schedule printed out and specific check in days I tend to follow through. I have a notebook that has all my weightlifting records in it, my printed schedule, my measurements history and blank paper for notes. My schedule is in printed out as a calendar so I mark off the days as I do them. I also write down how many calories I burned according to my HRM and any additional exercise I did (like taekwondo). For me, this notebook is my number one tool and best piece of exercise equipment.

I also have several dumbbells, two sets of dumbbell bars and an assortment of weight plates, several weights of resistance bands with handles and door anchor, an exercise ball, yoga mat, those stretchy bands that you use in yoga, a jump rope and a pull up bar. All of this is in my garage where I have a small TV, DVD player and foam mats on the floor with a fan aimed at the area I work out. Oh and I also have a treadmill (craigslist!) and an inversion table (also craigslist and a gift from heaven!)

ETA: I also have a little foam door hanger from the craft store that I wrote on in Sharpie. It has a frownie face and says "do not disturb!" on one side. Oh, I think there is also a threat about being side kicked if you do disturb me. :D But my four kids know that if I put that on the door I'm working out and not to be bothered for trivial stuff. I homeschool so it was necessary. My 17 yo uses our little "gym" regularly too and the sign keeps her siblings from pestering her.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Gazelle, yoga mats and a couple yoga dvd's, some weights, and three dogs. I really only use the gazelle and dogs. I think I also have some dance exercise videos, but I don't use them.

We rearranged the house so the gazelle could be in the living room where I can be near my husband and watch television while I go go go.

I had a gym membership for a couple years and it was a waste. Having to go was a bother and I couldn't stand the people that went there.

I'm becoming envious of exercise bikes though.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have the same amount of equipment that you do. I get bored easy, but I found these DVD's that I can focus my attention on for 10 minutes at a time. Each DVD has 5 workouts on it that you can break down to 10 minute intervals, you can do one, 2, 3, 4 or all 5 back to back. They are like $10 each at Wal Mart.

http://www.the10minutesolution.com/series/index.html
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I workout at home because it's 20 miles one way to the gym. I have a treadmill, free weights, step bench, and a cable machine. In also have a couple of DVDs but don't use them much unless we're in the RV traveling and then I use resistance bands as well. Right now I'm doin HIIT 3 days a week and heavy lifting (using the workout in The New Rules of Lifting) three days a week. The seventh day is either resting or walking on the treadmill, depends on whether or not we're going out that night.

Motivations easy when you look in the mirror! ;-)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I workout primarily at home just because that is how I can fit it into my schedule. I have an exercise bike, a wii with a couple of games, a bosu ball, a stability ball, a variety of DVDs and a couple of different sizes of dumbells. I have exercise ADD, so in order to maintain my progress I have to change it up a lot. I tend to trend with something for a few weeks and then I change it up so I don't get bored. Fortunately my hubby and son are really supportive of me, so when I am going to workout they just let me be. I do feel bad kicking them off the tv to do videos, so I tend to do those in the morning when no one else is up. My exercise bike is a spare room and I just go in and shut the door in there.

When I first started working out I did find that I let myself quit pretty easily, but I have gotten over that and I push myself by trying to hit higher calorie burns, longer time, getting through a DVD without any unplanned rests, etc. I do take occassional fitness classes in the community that aren't affilated with a gym just for a change of pace and to have a group environment, but those are a rare treat, not a regular thing.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I workout at home - and am easily distracted! We only have one TV, and it's in the main family/living room. I love my Jillian Michaels DVDs - currently doing Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6-Pack, alternating days.

For me, I have to get the workout done in the morning or it just doesn't happen. It's tough because I have to take my daughter to school at 7:30, and by the time I get back it's nearly 8:00, and then hubby gets up, and then I feel bad for monopolizing the tv, etc (even though he says he doesn't mind).

Recently I have started getting the workout done before I take my kid to school (the two DVDs are 20-30 minute workouts) - I have to push myself, but it's so nice to be done by 7am, then by the time I'm back from school drop off I have my breakfast, shower and get on with my day. Just have to make it a habit!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I workout at home all the time. I have my own spinning bikes for cardio. However, my main workouts that you have the equipment for already with exception to the DVDs (maybe), are Jillian Michaels workouts. I have completed the 30Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and right now I am doing the Slim Down. The Slim Down is a combination of the 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I just recently purchased her new one Killer Buns and Thighs. I will be starting that and 6 Week/6 Pack after I complete the Slim Down. My cardio on my bike is mixed in here and there, as well as yoga.

I also do Jillian's workouts (I have the 30DS, NMTZ, and BFBM) also. Just starting thinking about getting her new one. I like the Slim Down idea, and think I may try that. Is there a certain day you do each workout?

In addition to Jillian's workouts, I do the couch to 5k on our treadmill. You can run outside if you don't have a treadmill. I get bored easily so I have to mix it up. I also have a weighted ball and free weights to do other workouts whenever I feel like I need a change. I have a Kettlebell workout, which I really like but am I looking for a more challenging one. I have a basic learn the moves beginner one.

If you have OnDemand (excercise TV with your cable provider) some of Jillian's workouts are on there for free.

Good luck.
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I also work out at home and really like to use the exercise ball. I use the Core Secrets "Bun Battle" and "Ab Assault" DVDs the most. I really noticed a difference in my legs, thighs and butt using the Bun Battle after a couple of weeks! I also am lucky enough to live in an apartment, so I have a small exercise room with an elliptical machine that I love! You burn a lot more calories than on a treadmill and it's still a great cardio workout. I also go for walks with friends at work on our 15 minute breaks. Hope some of this is helpful for you, and best of luck in your weight "release"! :o)

Very helpful...thank u!
  • JaenaM
    Options
    I workout at home because I can't afford a gym and probably wouldn't go anyway. I used to struggle with consistency but when I started P90X I realized something about myself, if I have a plan (P90X provides a 90 day workout schedule with photo and measurement check ins every 30 days) I do a lot better with my consistency. If I am just picking what exercise I want to do each day with no forethought it's easier for me to bail on it but if I have a schedule printed out and specific check in days I tend to follow through. I have a notebook that has all my weightlifting records in it, my printed schedule, my measurements history and blank paper for notes. My schedule is in printed out as a calendar so I mark off the days as I do them. I also write down how many calories I burned according to my HRM and any additional exercise I did (like taekwondo). For me, this notebook is my number one tool and best piece of exercise equipment.

I also have several dumbbells, two sets of dumbbell bars and an assortment of weight plates, several weights of resistance bands with handles and door anchor, an exercise ball, yoga mat, those stretchy bands that you use in yoga, a jump rope and a pull up bar. All of this is in my garage where I have a small TV, DVD player and foam mats on the floor with a fan aimed at the area I work out. Oh and I also have a treadmill (craigslist!) and an inversion table (also craigslist and a gift from heaven!)

ETA: I also have a little foam door hanger from the craft store that I wrote on in Sharpie. It has a frownie face and says "do not disturb!" on one side. Oh, I think there is also a threat about being side kicked if you do disturb me. :D But my four kids know that if I put that on the door I'm working out and not to be bothered for trivial stuff. I homeschool so it was necessary. My 17 yo uses our little "gym" regularly too and the sign keeps her siblings from pestering her.

Wow u are super-organized and I guess u have to be with 4 home schooled kids! That's inspiring sister I just don't know if I can be that organized! I'm kind of a non-planner, go where the wind takes me, artistic type...hmm....maybe that's part of why I'm overweight!! Very inspiring, seriously. Something to work towards...
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Gazelle, yoga mats and a couple yoga dvd's, some weights, and three dogs. I really only use the gazelle and dogs. I think I also have some dance exercise videos, but I don't use them.

We rearranged the house so the gazelle could be in the living room where I can be near my husband and watch television while I go go go.

I had a gym membership for a couple years and it was a waste. Having to go was a bother and I couldn't stand the people that went there.

I'm becoming envious of exercise bikes though.

Just had a mental image of an actual gazelle chasing u around the living room...bet that would b a good workout!!!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I second Zumba for the Wii! I recommend not wearing regular running shoes while you are doing it because the treads stick to the floor. I've started doing it in my bare feet on my carpet and while there is some stress to my feet, its a heck of alot easier to do the moves!

I miss my exercise bike. I gave it to my mother-in-law when she needed something easy on her knees. I used to ride it while watching Biggest Loser for the best motivation.