MFP numbers

itsi9911
itsi9911 Posts: 8 Member
Ok, I feel like I should know the answer to my question, but I get confused about the numbers at the top of the page. My calorie goal is 1200. Today, so far, I've consumed 180. I have exercised today and that shows 473. So, the calculation shows 1200-180 + 473=1,493 calories remaining. How am I supposed to burn more calories than I eat if it keeps adding to what is remaining? What number should I be looking at to see if I am doing well? Rene'

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    The 1200 number is your goal with no activity. MFP adds your "activity calories", which increases your goal because your original goal assumed no activity. You should still lose weight.

This is a very common question on the boards, and if you look around at similar posts about "should I eat my exercise calories"? you'll see there are a variety of answers. Some people eat them all back, some people eat none of them, some eat anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 of them.

Personally, I average about half. Some days I don't feel compelled to eat them so I don't; other times I am crazy hungry after a swim workout, and I eat them all. But on average, I eat about half of them
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2022
    That's the number you should be looking at. You're just thinking about it wrong.

Your body is burning calories all day every day. Exercising simply helps you burn *more*. When people say burn more than you eat, they are talking about that total calorie burn, NOT JUST the exercise burn.

If your calorie goal is 1200, then just do what MFP says. Eat what you like, what helps you feel full and satisfied, and gets you close to your numbers. Consistency matters far more than perfection, so close enough for a long period of time should be your goal.
  • itsi9911
    edited January 2022
    Thank you, Rosebarnalice! That helps, but why in the world would I want to eat back the calories I worked so hard to get? I don't think I will be doing that much.
  • itsi9911
    Thank you, jjpptt2!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    itsi9911 wrote: »
    Thank you, Rosebarnalice! That helps, but why in the world would I want to eat back the calories I worked so hard to get? I don't think I will be doing that much.

Because if you don't eat enough it makes it harder to keep it up long term, and you might not be getting proper nutrition. You will get run down, hangry, maybe angry... and who knows what else?

Punch in the weight loss goal that is long term sustainable, and at least stay close to recommended calories. Experiment some if you need to so you can figure out if your exercise counts are accurate, and adjust if needed.
  • HungryTraveler
    HungryTraveler Posts: 39 Member
    itsi9911 wrote: »

Look at it like this:

If your maintenance calories per day are 2000 and you want to lose 1 pound a week you need a 500 calorie deficit per day. However if you work out one day and burn 400 calories from that workout your maintenance amount goes up to 2400 calories because you burned more that day. To keep the same deficit of 500 calories to lose 1 pound a week you would have to eat 1900 calories (2400-1900=500 deficit).

If you still eat 1500 calories that day even though you worked out and burned 400 calories extra, your deficit will go up to 900 calories for that day (2400-1500=900). Which sometimes is fine if you're not hungry, but if you are it's fine to eat back (some) of those calories. You'll still have the same deficit you intended to have in the first place :)

I hope this makes sense!