Starting Over

Options
Hey there! I'm Ashley and I need suggestions, new accountability buds, and support. Like many of us, this isn't my first rodeo. However, I am now more frustrated than ever. Backstory: I'm dealing with a lot of stress and trying to overcome a challenging environment. My husband and I moved to a new state, I'm working a new job that I don't love (I'm a hospice nurse), and buying/waiting for our house to be built (first time home buyers). We live with friends who regularly eat junky food and there is no scale in sight (nor anywhere to put one). I hate where I am health wise, ready to start making the changes necessary, and would love fresh ideas on how to deal with all this stress. Also, I know I can take measurements to help track progress, but any other ideas on tracking until I get a scale back? It's incredibly frustrating not knowing my weight and I haven't for 3 months now!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Measure with cups and spoons. I did not have a good scale when I started, yet still managed to lose almost 40lbs. Take smaller portions and healthier choices. Get outside when you can. Take walks, jog, whatever exercise you like and relieves stress.
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's good advice. I will start using more measuring tools in the kitchen. I'm also trying to pay more attention to my water intake. And ironically, I just finished a beautiful walk in a park!
  • makethistimedifferent
    Options
    Good morning and welcome back,
    I was on the yo-yo dieting hamster wheel for 30 years. I felt your post. My ex-husband and I were never on the same healthy eating plan at the same time so I understand the challenges you're facing. I know the weight loss journey is more fun when you can watch the scale, but I found my clothes getting baggy much more rewarding, especially when they were too baggy to wear.
    One recommendation I have is to think through all your potential stumbling blocks and make a plan for each. If what you tried didn't work, how can you try it differently, what tweak can you make?
    Additionally, know your "why." This can help when you're faced with temptation.
    Know the process is going to be a challenge, but each time you stick to your plan, you are that much stronger. See that challenges and struggles as an opportunity to strengthen and empower yourself.
    Feel free to friend me.
    Karen
  • cheryljorgensen6408
    Options
    I have a grocery list that I print then I highlight or mark the only items I am to buy. I'm impulsive by nature and this has helped me get through a grocery trip and stay focused!
  • cheryljorgensen6408
    Options
    OH! Another thing I was advised by a trainer years ago: stick to the outside walls of the grocery stores. That's where the produce, meat, dairy all reside. Most of the stuff in the middle aisles are processed foods. It has helped!
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Welcome back. I’m also nurse and some days it’s easier than others. I have been counting calories and exercising. Cut back on quantity. I’m not eating super healthy just cutting back. You can do this.

You add me as a friend if you wish.
  • hunnahs26
    hunnahs26 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!