Exerspy? HRM?

Options
So, I recently joined a Lady of America gym and they push Dotfit as their go to for calorie counting and fitness advice. I find this site to be WAY easier to navigate and I find that it has more of the foods that I eat in the database. However, their Exerspy seems like a really cool tool to monitor how many calories I burn. I'm new to this... and my trainer says that I have about 100lbs to lose. I'm great at monitoring my caloric intake... but I don't know what I'm burning... I'm having to use VERY general guesstimates at this point.

Has anyone used Exerspy?

Is there something else that works well that I can easily monitor... I like the option of hooking up the monitor to a computer and being able to pull reports about how I'm doing... but I guess that isn't completely necessary. What works? What has helped you? What are my options? HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• Hnter76
    Hnter76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my wife and i just use "polar" heart rate monitors in conjunction with the "myfitnesspal" phone app to keep all that stuff straight it works well for us...maybe that help ;-)
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor for the win! The amount of exercise I do has increased 3 fold since I got one (I'm always wanting to see that 'calories burned' count go higher, higher)
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 and love it!! It doesn't download to the computer, but, it does count the calories, time, etc....that I easily plug in here on MFP. Whatever you chose......it will benefit you in your health journey! Good Luck!
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I have a Polar F4, too. Great tool! I didn't really start to lose weight until I got it. Even though I was on the treadmill for an hour, I wasn't really elevating my heart rate. Once I started wearing mine, I starting pushing myself harder, and really started losing.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Do a search on google for HRM reviews. :)
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Exerspy?

Is there something else that works well that I can easily monitor... I like the option of hooking up the monitor to a computer and being able to pull reports about how I'm doing... but I guess that isn't completely necessary. What works? What has helped you? What are my options? HELP PLEASE!

I use the Exerspy daily and love it, however it's essentially the same thing as a BodyMedia Fit, which a friend of mine has. Both are made by BodyMedia and are extremely reliable and provide accurate data. I've had great success with mine. The only things that I'd prefer by having a BodyMedia Fit Link armband is that it wirelessly syncs with your apps (I have an iPhone, so I'd like to be able to get real-time data instead of having to plug my armband in) and now there is an app to have MyFitnessPal link to your BodyMedia armband and it automatically updates calories burned etc!

I'd highly recommend any BodyMedia product, Exerspy or otherwise. Very, very reliable. I've literally worn mine 24 hrs a day (besides showers) for a year and a half and never, ever had any problems.
  • jmhuffma
    jmhuffma Posts: 1
    Options
    The exerspy is very accurate! I used the older model but I prefer the new wireless armband because it syncs wirelessly with my fitness pal. I use a HRM now but it's just not as accurate as the exerspy. I also was pushed to use dotfit but it is definitely more difficult that my fitness pal to log food.