plateau! :(

Options
Hey all,
I starting my diet a month ago and started exercising 2 weeks ago. I lost 15lbs so far. But for almost 2 week (basically the time I've been going to the gym), I've stayed at the same weight. It's frustrating because I am eating right and now I am working my butt off at the gym with no reward.
Alot of people have been telling me it's my body gaining muscle mass. It could be true, but I am not sure. I am just frustrated at this point. Give me some words of wisdom or encouragement. PLEASE lol.

Thank you,
Amy

Replies

• idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, it will all pay off. Your body is confused right now, but once it understands what you're trying to do it will cooperate. No matter what, don't give up. And don't use the scale to monitor progress, use clothing sizes and inches, body fat percentage, etc. Good luck!
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as you haven't lost weight (i know its hard) but look at it as that your being healthy and taking care of your body. Thats all that really matters. JUst continue with your attitude of that your living a healthier lifestyle and the weight will come off. Stay focused! Your doing great and you should already feel great about the 15 lbs you've lost now
  • emilyclaireb
    emilyclaireb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainer says there's no such thing as a plateau... I thought I had hit one last week, then boom, 2.5 more lbs gone. Keep it up, don't weigh yourself very often and just go by how your clothes fit and feel. Weigh yourself when you KNOW you've dropped some lbs...
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Have faith, it does work, I get these little stuck points, but it will come off, I have lost 78 lb in 2 years so have faith, fir the first year I didn't change my diet at all!!! Check my pics hopefully it will show u it is worth it :) friend me if u like
  • caroltina
    Options
    Have faith, it does work, I get these little stuck points, but it will come off, I have lost 78 lb in 2 years so have faith, fir the first year I didn't change my diet at all!!! Check my pics hopefully it will show u it is worth it :) friend me if u like
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    thanks everyone! sometimes you just need to hear people tell you that it will get better.
  • amygee05nb
    Options

Sorry, I am a newb.
  • caroltina
    Options

Sorry, I am a newb.

Give the girl a break she wanted some personal experiences!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    No worries.. you are not in a plateau at this point. When you start a workout program, you muscles will begin to store more glycogen and water. (it's actually techincally not muscle gain, but that is a separate discussion) This will settle down soon and you will begin to see weight loss again, as long as you are not creating too big of a calorie deficit and as long as you are eating back most, if not all, of your excercise calories.

I would recommend keep working your plan and keep measuring and/or weighing on a regular basis for feedback and to better understand your body, but look at relative progress on a monthly basis, not day to day, or even week to week. Undoubtedly, you will find yourself better off than you were a month ago.

You will not keep losing weight at your initial rate, so you should also adjust your expectations. Keep your focus on being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle for the long haul.

You are doing great!
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    No worries.. you are not in a plateau at this point. When you start a workout program, you muscles will begin to store more glycogen and water. (it's actually techincally not muscle gain, but that is a separate discussion) This will settle down soon and you will begin to see weight loss again, as long as you are not creating too big of a calorie deficit and as long as you are eating back most, if not all, of your excercise calories.

I would recommend keep working your plan and keep measuring and/or weighing on a regular basis for feedback and to better understand your body, but look at relative progress on a monthly basis, not day to day, or even week to week. Undoubtedly, you will find yourself better off than you were a month ago.

You will not keep losing weight at your initial rate, so you should also adjust your expectations. Keep your focus on being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle for the long haul.

You are doing great!

Thank you so much!
  • kimbim60
    kimbim60 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was going to the gym lots and consumed very few calories and the same happened to me so I went to my doctor and sure enough I was having thyroid issues and had to start taking medication. Now when I go to the gym to lift weighs and attend Zumba classes, it's amazing how much my body has transformed. I've gone from a 2X down to XL and it all happened in just a few months. I still have a long way to go but looking forward to the challenge. Perhaps you might want to talk to your Doctor about it...I know it's changed my life significantly. If it isn't a health issue, just hang in there, one day you'll try those pair of pants on that you didn't think you'd ever get back into and BAM they look great on you.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Sorry, I am a newb.

Give the girl a break she wanted some personal experiences!

They weren't trying to be unkind. There are many threads about this topic and she will get a great deal of information from them.

OP, if you do search, get comfy because you will have a LOT of reading to do! Good luck! You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • TrishMahon
    Options
    When I first started my diet, I lost seven pounds really fast. It was before I came here. It was water weight and I could feel my body start to shape up. I was using muscles I hadn't used in a long time. Then nothing. I started making sure I was drinking enough water, get some fiber in my diet and hit the gym at least three times a week. I am now losing 1-2 pounds a week and alone I wish it was more, I know I am doing it the healthy way. Don't worry. It will come
  • caroltina
    Options
    After recent thread issues, I just think there are ways to tell people u know, we're all human no?????

Why not use the search function as there are lots of threads on this - just as easy to type
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The scale is your enemy! You need to take measurements. I can't remember the last time I lost any weight according to the scale, but my measurements go down as I add muscle from weight lifting.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    The scale is your enemy! You need to take measurements. I can't remember the last time I lost any weight according to the scale, but my measurements go down as I add muscle from weight lifting.

I took measurements a couple of days ago,sadly not at the beginning of all this but I am down one inch on the waist. the scale is driving me nuts
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I took measurements a couple of days ago,sadly not at the beginning of all this but I am down one inch on the waist. the scale is driving me nuts

That is great you lost and inch already girl! I always wait atleast two weeks before measuring again so you see more improvement!
  • amygee05nb
    Options

That is great you lost and inch already girl! I always wait atleast two weeks before measuring again so you see more improvement!

will do, I just needed to see something lol