Eating my Exercise Calories

Options
I just got back from a two hour bike ride. It's near the end of the season, so I'm getting faster/more efficient. 23+ miles in 112 minutes. My GPS route tracker says that's 1,501 calories burned. Other, less precise calculators say that it's 1,200 calories. It doesn't FEEL like I even burned that many.

My MPF calorie budget is 1,630 for the day. So, even after two breakfasts, one before I left and one halfway through my ride, MFP is still telling me I have over 2,200 calories to eat for the day. I don't think I could possibly do that, even if I were hungry...which I'm not. I'm planning to basically gorge myself with about 1500 calories between lunch and dinner, which will still bring me in at 900 net calories for the day.

This isn't a typical experience for me. I rarely am able to find the time or energy to burn more than 500 exercise calories. So, for folks with experience, do I NEED to figure out a way to get up to 1,200 net calories for the day? The only way I can picture doing that is by eating junk calories, which I don't want to do.

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Can you add in a couple items that have high calories but are good for you such as an avocado? If you're going to net 900, a single medium avocado will bring you up to 1176 and then you can add a couple nuts or something.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Not a bad idea...every calorie dense food I could think of was in the sugary/fatty category. I didn't think about the good-fatty things. Maybe an almond butter sandwich for a snack...
  • Degren
    Options
    I usually get very hungry the day AFTER a big workout like that (I run), so I allow myself to eat some of my exercise calories the next day. I agree 100% with the post about eating the good fats. Also make sure you get enough protein, and the "good carbs."
  • ajcobos
    Options
    WHy do you feel the need to meet the calorie goal? why not come in at under the goal?
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would say no, don't force yourself to eat all those calories -- unless you're actually hungry. If you're actually hungry, go ahead and eat. I ran a marathon a few years ago, and on long runs, I probably burned a couple thousand calories. Or figure, in a week where I ran 35-40 miles, I wasn't eating 4000 extra calories. I don't know...I'm not an expert at all, but I think it comes down to whether or not your body is telling you it needs more nutrition today. Such a long ride isn't an everyday occurrence.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I don't reach my "base" calories on MFP I get the little "you are not eating enough calories" warning. However, if I don't eat all my exercise cals (even if there are 300 left) I get no warning. While I realize that this is just something in the programming, I have taken it to mean that although you CAN eat those calories, there's no need to do so. I've never had that many execise calories, though! (usually around 400) If you're not feeling hungry or fatigued, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Degren
    Options
    By the way, great job on that bike ride!
  • fitfarrah
    Options
    I bike long distances all the time and never eat all the calories it says I burn. I just eat healthy and until I am full. You could, like others suggested eat high calorie good food like avocados, etc.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you if you need to eat all those calories. If you don't need them, don't eat them. You may find you need to eat more tomorrow though and I would do so if you need to. That's what usually happens to me after a huge calorie burn. I usually find that between the two days I would have eaten back most of those calories, but I rarely eat them all in the same day after a big calorie burn like that. I hope that made sense :smile:
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    I would count on no more than 50 cal per mile at that speed (around 12 mph) therfore 1150 1200 cals, I believe MFP is a little optimistic in it's estimates, if you don't think you have burnt as many you don't have to eat as many and / or bump up speed & distance.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the ideas and comments.

To the question as to why I feel I need to meet the calorie goal, I'm not super concerned about eating my 1600 net calories for the day, but I have read a lot of warnings about not eating below 1200. I'm just not sure if exercise calories work exactly the same as not-eaten calories.

I'll listen to my body on this one. Just had an almond butter sandwich (on whole grain, with low sugar preserves)....yummy.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    2 cups whole milk, 2 scoop Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein, 1 banana, 4 table spoons peanut butter; 1,030 calories.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    WHy do you feel the need to meet the calorie goal? why not come in at under the goal?

I would assume he is interested in building strength and endurance. Can't do that on a deficit.