Salad Toppings

We have recently added salad toppings into our regular meal plan. We get those bags of salad (no dressing) and then buy all sorts of toppings. Our favorites are the almonds, available in several flavors, and the tortilla strips. Croutons are also good, along with blue cheese and shredded parmesan or cheddar. Sometimes I will cook up some chicken or other meat. Just keep your serving sizes reasonable and they only add a few calories. You can add a lot of crunch and flavor with just a tablespoon of a topping. Ideas for low cal dresssings include 3 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil. Also, go heavy on the black pepper

Replies

• I personally haven't tried this cause I don't like salad but I've heard that squeezing some fresh lemon juice over it makes a great alternative to dressing.
  • i like squeezing cherry tomatoes over the salad, if it comes with any =]
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    i like to squeeze lime over my salad. gives it a lot of extra flavor for very few calories!
  • Avocado (sparingly), beans, and corn make a good mexican salad.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Almonds, manderine oranges, and craisins! one of my favorite salads! usually on either romaine, spring mix, or baby spinach, I usually make my own oil & vinegar to put on top! its sweet with crunch! and you can get manderine oranges in orange juice now instead of syrup!!