Ways to make the family will eat

Options
Things I can make that my family will too

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you dont have to make anything different than you ever have.

learn how to use the recipe builder and weigh and log your portions.

everyone in this house eats the same thing i do or they can cook for themselves.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

everyone in this house eats the same thing i do or they can cook for themselves.

^^^^^yup!!!!!!

I went through cooking two versions of meals when my daughter decided she was vegetarian in high school. Never again.

The awesome thing about “you eat what I cook” is, when my husband decided to join me on MFP nearly three years later, the meals part was easy for him because he’d been eating that way for three years. All he had to focus on was snacks.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Most families have a fairly small number of "go to" regular meals-- e.g., spaghetti night, taco night, burger night, chicken night they eat on a regular basis, so start there!

Try adding the word "light", "diet-friendly" and/or "alternative" to a search for your current top two or three meals your family already likes--e.g., light tacos, light burger alternatives, diet-friendly pasta-- to get some ideas.

My big trick is to load up on the veggies in EVERYTHING. Riced cauliflower, shredded or finely minced mushrooms and shredded carrots are three biggies for me. They add a lot of volume and fiber that helps me feel full, but makes it easy to cut down other "bulkies" like grains, pasta, and meat with lots more calories.

My other big trick is to question the role of any added fat in a recipe (butter, olive oil, vegetable oil) and ask if I can cut it way down or eliminate it entirely. Sure, it's needed for flavor now and again, but there's a lot of it that just isn't necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are you cooking that they won't eat? What were you cooking before that they would eat? There are certainly things that my wife and I like to make that my kids do not yet have a pallet for...but for regular meals like grilled chicken or tacos or burgers or lasagna or spaghetti or whatever, it's not an issue. My kids are still more partial to fruit than veg, so while my wife and I might have grilled chicken and veg and rice, my kids will have that with fruit instead of the asparagus or whatever.

Are you trying to make them conform to some restricted foods diet you're on? If so, that's not going to work...you're on that diet by choice, not them...and there's no need to be super restrictive with most foods. IMO, if you're cooking at home, most of that is healthy, nutritious food unless you're going out of your way to make it otherwise.