Percent Body Fat - PBF

Options
I measured myself on the gym scale today which does the body composition analysis. In the past month since rejoining mfp I have lost 6.6 lbs and my PBF decreased by 0.3%. I have never used this type of scale so was wondering if that % is good for a month. I am trying not to focus on the pounds lost. I do strength training with some cardio.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    The body fat estimates from a scale aren't very accurate. They can be distorted by things like hydration level, whether you've just worked out, who knows what else (somebody, probably, but not me). If you lose weight, it'll be mostly fat.

If you were to lose pounds, but stay at the same body fat percent (assuming there were a way to measure it accurately), you've still lost pounds of fat. (25% of 160 is a bigger number than 25% of 150, y'know?).

If you want to maximize your odds of losing mostly fat:
    * Don't lose weight too rapidly
    * Get exercise, especially strength exercise
    * Get overall good nutrition, especially but not exclusively adequate protein

Also, if we lose a meaningful amount of weight, we probably want some of that loss to be other than fat. For example, at around 2/3 the weight I once was, I'd look pretty weird if I still had the same blood volume, right?

You don't have to focus on pounds. You can use progress photos, measurements, fit of clothes, etc. There are better ways to measure body fat (short of autopsy) than the scales, but they tend to be expensive and harder to access; and they have an error range as well.
  • fiveamburn
    fiveamburn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this was helpful. I'm trying to approach my weight-loss journey with a different mind set this time around since at age 50 what I did in the past to lose weight no longer was working