How much walking?

Options
I know some is better than none but I want to do enough, KWIM? :)

I'm trying to lose another 15# and gain a healthier heart, along with a little bit more endurance. I'm 68 and otherwise in good health(pretty lucky knock on wood).

Every day I either get on the treadmill or go walking in the mall. I try to do at least 3 miles, sometimes I break it up, sometimes it's all in one walk. I walk anywhere between 3 mph(with my sister) to 3.5 mph on the treadmill. I do a little incline as well.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is fine for your health. The usual recommendation is for 45 minutes of moderate intensity exercise five days a week. If you are walking 3 miles a day, you are covered. It won't make a lot of difference in your calories burned, but for mind and body and heart and lungs it will definitely make a difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think 3 miles per day is just fine and more than your average person is doing. I usually do 2 miles, 5 days per week with my dog depending on my schedule and other obligations, but I do other exercise as well. Speaking only for myself, more than 3 miles would be reaching the point of diminishing returns where the additional time spent would be better used engaged in more strenuous exercise...but again, that's just me.

For me, there's quite a big trade off, say, walking 5 miles which would probably take me about 1:40 or so...in that same time I can walk my dog for 2 miles and still get in a good 60 minute session in the weight room or a 60 minute ride on top of my walk. It just depends on what kind of time you have on hand and at what point you reach that point of diminishing returns per available time.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it's not much of a contribution. (Nor should it be for weight loss IMHO.)
    For general health seems a reasonable level.
    For improving endurance, go a bit further.
    For improving heart health I'd add some slightly more intense and contrasting exercise rather than just adding more of the same.

Suggestion.
    For enjoyment, which is a huge part of keeping an exercise routine going long term, walking outdoors is generally far more interesting.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    All movement counts. You've been here a long time so you know all about the Compendium of Physical Activities. MET values.
    Exercise is not all or nothing. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Dance instead of sitting on the couch at the speed of zero.

Don't overthink it. Start at the bottom and work your way UP. Short bouts or bursts of exercise can help you build your level of overall fitness and well-being. Walk the stairs or walk around your block. Catapult yourself off the couch and out the door. Shorter bursts can benefit your heart as much as longer, slower stints of exercise. Longer stretches with intensity are good, too.

Take your dog and keep going until your dog can't go anymore. Then put your dog in a backpack and keep going. There are so many positives that come from moving down the road. Straight stretches, hills and then you're climbing mountains. All movement generates energy. It boosts every function in your body including the brain functions and creativity.

Do it for you and don't let anyone rain on your parade. When you feel good you benefit everything and everyone around you. If you want to weightlift in a gym or swim in a pool....just do what you can continue doing for the rest of your life or none of this will last. No one has to live in our body or head. Don't let anyone mess with your head or make you feel guilty because you don't measure up to their expectations.

You have the rest of your life to keep improving and fitting exercise in. I'm not in competition with anyone. Do it your way.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I "power walk" 3 times a week for 40 min (plus swimming, yoga, tai chi, acquagym, and stretching other days). All you need to do is alternate your speed. You can tailor walking to your needs, it's so versatile. I do a light speed for 2 min, then stretch my legs as far as I can and up my speed for 2 min, then do a jog (light running) for 2 min. I repeat this sequence until my time is up.

I'm 67 and have had good results with this. I go to a lovely park here in Central Rome, with Roman ruins and a fountain, early in the morning. It's a nice way to start the day.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    I linger long and wish for something ^^ that nice but I'll just have to make do with what I have.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise each week for healthy adults. However you divide those up is up to you; it works out to about a 20-minute brisk walk per day.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks everybody. :)

I agree with walking outdoors. However, until it's a little warmer and safer out there, inside walking works. Plus I live in a town with hills. Everywhere. Which I'm really looking forward to walking on, maybe in another 6 weeks or so. But living in Vermont, roads and sidewalks don't clear up until maybe April. :( And unless it hits 20 F, it's too cold for me. :/

Had to chuckle at the image of walking with my dog in a backpack. One dog is 65#, the other is 85#. :) That's not happening. :D

And after mud season, I've got the perfect hiking spots to visit. :) Can't wait.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I know some is better than none but I want to do enough, KWIM? :)

I'm trying to lose another 15# and gain a healthier heart, along with a little bit more endurance. I'm 68 and otherwise in good health(pretty lucky knock on wood).

Every day I either get on the treadmill or go walking in the mall. I try to do at least 3 miles, sometimes I break it up, sometimes it's all in one walk. I walk anywhere between 3 mph(with my sister) to 3.5 mph on the treadmill. I do a little incline as well.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!!

On average it's 10,000 steps a day. For me it's 5 miles. It really depends on your stride length.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about energy balance, consume fewer calories that you expend and you'll lose fat (preferably a modest/sustainable calorie deficit)

As to improving cardiovascular fitness walking is a great way to do it. I'm 66 and very fortunate that I started running / biking / swimming / rowing etc consistently more than a decade ago and have been able to stay injury free (except when I do stupid things like falling on the ice while walking my dogs).

I'm a wee bit north of you and have started relying more on my treadmill in winter. In your case having a treadmill is actually advantageous as, if you're serious about improving endurance, you have complete control over both the time and intensity of your walks. Add time, then try to (gradually) speed up a bit (get that heart rate up a little more) and then add a bit to the incline.

Great thing about walking is that we evolved to do it for long distances 365 days a year.