Struggling but hopeful - Need Your Advice

natashab7202
natashab7202 Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone- I have been on a new lifestyle journey over the last 2 weeks and it has been incredibly hard. I eat between 1200-1700 calories on most days over the last 2 weeks and have only lost 3 lbs. I know 3 lbs is very encouraging but I am aiming to be about 15 lbs down by March 11. I got on the scale today and I am at 165 lbs. It is incredibly discouraging seeing this number as i was 164.4-164.8 lbs about 2 days ago. I am also going to bed hungry like I usually stop eating by 430 pm and it's hard to not get hungry again by 9 pm. I am really not sure if there is something I am missing. I am adding cardio and weights into my routine starting today but its been so hard. My partner eats more than me and has been still loosing weight. He has lost another lbs after eating a burrito this weekend. If I did this I would not have lost any weight. Could someone please help? I am also mostly gluten free. I have cut out a lot of processed sugars and dairy. I am really at a loss and I would really like your advice.

Replies

• natashab7202
    natashab7202 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi @ahoy_m8 thank very much for all of that. I am about 30 lbs from my goal at this moment. I completely agree with you 3lbs/ week is a lot but I am just tired of being in the high 150s-mid 160s over the last 2 years. So just wanted to change my diet. Challenge myself more. Idk dial in. However I agree I will be happy with any weight loss. Also love the article you shared. It was funny but true. I should definitely stress less about the scale and focus on creating a positive mindset.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,322 Member
    It’s frustrating when you don’t lose in a nice linear fashion, but keep at a lower sustainable pace of loss and it will work. Make sure you weigh absolutely everything you eat, including liquids like milk or juice so that you know you’re accurate in your intake, and look for weight trends over time. For instance, if you eat a salty or carbohydrate-rich meal your body will retain water for a while which makes you weigh heavier. But it will go in a whoosh and then you’ll see the loss. Steady, slow and consistent wins the game, and won’t make you feel weak or ill (lose too fast and you lose muscle - your heart is a muscle…). Deep breaths, you can definitely do this!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    It's a process for sure, in so many ways. Great job taking the advice from the wise ones here, and changing your approach! And congratulations on 3 pounds in 2 weeks. I'd be THRILLED, but my plan is much slower weight loss, so that means I have to be OK with not seeing measurable results for an extended time. Keep reading, and bring your questions. Long term people here are happy to share their knowledge, ideas, strategies, advice... :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Everyone I know in real life who lost weight quickly eventually threw in the towel and gained it all back, usually plus more.

Slow and steady wins the race!

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Also, if the exercise is new, you could be retaining water from that. I GAINED 7 pounds of water weight when I started weight lifting again.

Many women also retain water at ovulation and premenstrually.

I suggest using a trending app like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android) and focusing on the trends, not the individual weigh ins.