Calorie Counter/Pedometer

Options
So i hav an ipod nano 5th gen and it has a pedometer. according to that ive been walking about 30,000 steps daily and burning 800 calories.
but yesterday i used a pdometer and it dosent count steps but it counts calories burned and it said i burned 1000 ish?

so which one is right? i started them at the same time also

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    pedometers are very bad for calories burned. I'd ay that neither one was right, but I'd go with the lowest one jut to be sure that I wasn't over estimating.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What does your second pedometer count to estimate calories? Does it take in more data than the first. For example, if you are obese, you would burn more calories exercising than if you were simply overweight. If it takes your heart rate, it could estimate your calorie burn based on that. I have a simple pedometer that only counts steps, km, calories; and even though I know that I am probably burning more because of my weight, I am satisfied that it provides me with ballpark measure of my physical activity. There is a limit to what a $20 pedometer will do.
  • DaveR100
    DaveR100 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So i hav an ipod nano 5th gen and it has a pedometer. according to that ive been walking about 30,000 steps daily

Thats about 15-18 miles based on the average distance per step.
  • 123Helena123
    Options
    [/quote]
    Thats about 15-18 miles based on the average distance per step.

Yeah I walk 2 miles to work then back again then I walk miles with the dog in evenings. And plus my job includes lots of walking also so it's about right
  • 123Helena123
    Options
    Yeah I walk 2 miles to work then back again then I walk miles with the dog in evenings. And plus my job includes lots of walking also so it's about right
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Be careful with counting your steps for work. Do you have your activity level in MFP set to Sedentary or something else? It sounds like you lead a lifestyle that could be considered at least Lightly Active with all of your walking, but if you chose that when setting your goals for MFP then you shouldn't be counting the calories from your steps as exercise. You'll be double dipping on your calorie burn and won't lose weight or at least not lose it as quickly.
  • laura2501
    laura2501 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i use a pedometer daily and when i do around 30,000 steps its around 1,000 calories too but i have one that u put your weight and step size into so i would say this is pretty good and its working for me, thats how i have lost my weight so far ,just watching my calories and trying to keep my steps above 30,000 every day