OK, I guess it's time to publicly commit

Options
tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
I joined this site just a few weeks ago - and have been so pleased with it. I made my first goal a little too low and reached it pretty quick, so I'm committing to more. I want to finally get rid of the pot gut that my whole family is cursed with.

I've got to hand it to y'all. I'm impressed with the many success stories out there; and the weights being lost.

I've increased my daily cardio and implemented a few strength exercises as well. Anyone have any secrets for getting rid of stubborn belly fat? It's unfortunately the kind that runs in the family.

Replies

• tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I joined this site just a few weeks ago - and have been so pleased with it. I made my first goal a little too low and reached it pretty quick, so I'm committing to more. I want to finally get rid of the pot gut that my whole family is cursed with.

I've got to hand it to y'all. I'm impressed with the many success stories out there; and the weights being lost.

I've increased my daily cardio and implemented a few strength exercises as well. Anyone have any secrets for getting rid of stubborn belly fat? It's unfortunately the kind that runs in the family.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    welcome,,,,unfortunately you gotta burn fat all over to reach the buddy fat....family got,,,,blame them,,,dang em all...just keep burnin more than youre eatin and it will happen
    good luck'Dave
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Just keep doing what you're doing and you will lose it. And remember that you will have days where you will fall off the wagon, just remember to get back on! This is a long term strategy..:smile:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Welcome & good luck on reaching your goals!! :drinker:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Best of luck on your journey!
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! I love doing jack-knives for the ab area. They are similar to crunches but seem to work better for me. Cardio is definitely your friend but in conjunction with weights you can get your metabolism to burn calories while your resting as well as while working out. Weight lifting breaks down the muscle then the resting period (a day off between body areas worked) builds the muscle back up!
  • RhiannaMae
    Options
    My personal trainer said the main way to lose weight off of your stomache is to NOT build muscle there. Because what will happen is all the fat that's already there will turn into muscle, but will still be just as bulky. And you'll still have a big tummy. I don't know; he explained it better. Just my 2 cents.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, helpful and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey, you can do this.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :smile: :smile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer said the main way to lose weight off of your stomache is to NOT build muscle there. Because what will happen is all the fat that's already there will turn into muscle, but will still be just as bulky. And you'll still have a big tummy. I don't know; he explained it better. Just my 2 cents.

I think you misunderstood what your trainer told you. Fat cannot turn into muscle. What can happen is you will have toned ab muscle but you can still have a layer of fat hiding the muscle.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

I started running last summer. I was 48 (49 now) and that is what really helped my stomach. I did not have much extra weight anywhere else. But like you I come from a family that holds their extra weight in their stomachs.

Pilates is also great for toning your abs. I try to do 20min two or three times a week. I think it's worked better than crunches. Plus your toning/stretching all of your body.

It can be slow but keep at it. The alternative is that it will get bigger if you don't work at it.
    I hope you enjoy MFP!