Question about running and dull ache in diaphragm/abs

Options
I have a question related to running, in general, and the effect it has on the body. Before you answer (if you know) it's not runner's gut - what I'm trying to explain. I've mostly never had runner's gut except once or twice, and it's never been like the feeling I'm trying to describe right now.

So I think I started my fitness routine somewhere around 274 pounds in June 2021; I don't believe I started running until I had reached about 260, because I completed my first 5k sometime in August 2021 for a Parkinson's charity through work. Back then and up until about October or November, the biggest problem I had was back pain - a result of poor posture when running as well as running with so much extra baggage, is my guess - but I don't really experience this anymore, likely as a result of the continued endurance training.

The last 2 weeks or so, I've noticed that during and after a run, I get this dull pain in my (abs?) on both sides that you feel after doing a bunch of sit-ups. Honestly, it's not sharp, but it is tiresome and has been affecting my ability to run consistently and my speeds have declined. I can't really find anything on the internet about it, and was just wondering if any of you had an explanation for it? I'm currently at 207 pounds. I have been running further, a little at a time - 2.3 miles, to 2.8 miles, to 3.2 miles, all the way up to 4. However, between the 3.2 - 4 mile mark has been where this pain usually gets to a point where I have to stop for 10-15 seconds to walk and catch my breath/rest my legs.

Side note: I am a heavy vaper (quitting again as soon as I hit target weight, one demon at a time); but the pain isn't in my lungs. My best guess at this point is that it has something to do with how I am breathing during my run and that it's my diaphragm acting up, because it also kind of resembles the pain or cramping you get when you have a real good crying laugh.

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Running involves your core muscles.
    My best guess is that as you run further, and maybe a little faster it is using those muscles more.

I do yoga/pilates and swimming as cross training specifically because it helps to strengthen that area and improves my posture.

Are you running a little further every time you run? If so try slowing that increase down a bit. 2 or 3 runs at one distance before adding a bit more. That allows your muscles to adapt and strengthen. You might also try slowing down a touch as you get used to the increased distance.

If I'm struggling I sometimes find it helpful to count my breaths in and out as I run. For me it's 1-2-3 in and then out so that might also be worth a go. Helps me to regulate it and make sure I am breathing properly.
  • atrgemini
    atrgemini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah! This makes sense. It could be a breathing issue. I know I tend to push myself hard, which leads to exasperated breathing. I've also been told I need to breathe through my nose, something I've always found very hard to do because of how much I sweat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I would get bad stomach cramps when I ran fast, usually when I was running downhill. That stopped when I had been running longer and my body got used to it. I've also gotten cramps from drinking water during a run or eating the wrong thing before a run. How much time do you leave between a meal and your exercise?

• ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @atrgemini Great job!

If you're arms are crossing your body while you run it can produce a twist in your torso that will get more pronounced as you fatigue. It might be something simple like that. A muscle imbalance through your core could also cause what you're describing. Lots of people work abs a ton and neglect hamstrings and glutes.

Tangent to all this is the idea that, as you get more and more lean, your body's ability to lose fat AND maintain lean muscle at the same time diminishes (especially at 2.5 lbs a week!). The diet you need for best possible results now is going to be different than it was 6 months ago.

• atrgemini
    Options
    The arms crossing and producing a twist is fascinating; I had never even considered that. I do keep them in the upright position and close to my chest. I will try to look at this and see if I notice a correlation. @kenlchrzanowski thanks for the tip! I haven't been working on my core at all, being honest. I was saving that for phase 2 (target weight achieved). Ugh. Dieting and food evaluation. I've made it this far without doing this. I'd rather not go down this path, but I recognize that it might need to happen at some point. When you say it diminishes, what's the brass tax (net effect on your weight loss and body)?

@spiriteagle99 I practice intermittent fasting Monday-Friday. A typical schedule is this:
    1. Caffeine and water throughout the day (caffeine only in morning and one dose)
    2. Exercise between 1:00pm and 4:00pm
    3. Dinner around 6:00pm
    4. Rinse wash repeat

On weekends I am much more flexible, especially lately. After consulting with a nutrionist, I've been consuming food in excess (often 3000-5000 calories per day) to keep my body confused and to maximize weight loss during the week. Ultimately this was how I broke out of my 220 plateau. Although, I am unsure of how that will look this week, because I feel like I ate waayyyyyy too much this weekend lol.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Another culprit could be hip flexors. I can irritate mine pretty easily—right now I have a dull ache in outer area of lower abs that occasionally gets more irritated. Most likely some hip flexor or other smaller muscle that runs through hips/pelvis.
  • atrgemini
    Options
    @gradchica27 I think it was likely this! The pain has been gone for awhile now. It was a weird occurrence for sure. I figured out that running with my dog was ultimately doing something to that region because of the torque applied when I have to pull her; I've since made a conscious effort to adjust my technique and I'm fairly certain it helped.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Are you following a running program or connected to a running community? They are a great resource.

When I was new to running I started a couch to 5k program and thought I was supposed to just keep trying to run faster. Some of the things I learned through the running community in my area is that sped work is really only once per week. In general the rest of the runs should be at a relaxed slow pace where I can hold a conversation while running. Distance increases by no more than 10% per week to avoid injury.

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend going to a running store to be fitted for shoes. Everyone has a different gait, and they can recommend the right shoe after evaluating you. New shoes made the biggest difference for me by far in my aches/pains as a new runner.

If you enjoy running, cross training with different exercises will help support your running. I like HASfit’s Youtube channel for beginner strength training.
  • atrgemini
    Options
    @emmamcgarity I'm actually in the market for two new pairs of running shoes, as the soles and compression on my nike's and adidas are pretty much shot now. I have another pair I got for Christmas that are unique, I forget what the brand name is called, but they're bright blue and orange and have huge compression zones with a curved bottom. I don't use these often but find they are excellent for what you've said - slow jogging.

I've noticed a natural progression towards that, by the way - the slower runs and one "intense" session weekly. Yesterday I walked 17 miles (I got a tattoo touched up on Sunday so I've been doing low intensity exercise all week) but it's peeling now and the worst has passed, so going to switch it up today and do a short run, some cycling, and some dumbbells.

Unrelated - but I've hit a nasty plateau at the 203 mark and have been stuck there for 32 days. So, regardless, I need to start changing up my routine soon because I'm so close to my cutting goal (190).