Slow Runner, Getting back at it Again.

fatty2begone
fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
edited February 2022 in Motivation and Support
I am a slow runner. I have always been a slow runner. And I finally can accept I am and can be a slow runner.

About 10 years ago, I was a consistent new runner. I ran for 2 years straight. I ran 6 to 7 miles comfortably. I started at 13.5 minute mile got down to on a good day around 11.5 minute mile. I typically averaged around 12 minute mile.

I started training for a half marathon, which I completed, and with the longer runs was back in the high 12 MM to 13+MM.
I think it was 2 weeks before my marathon, my sis-inlaw and bro-inlaw asked if I would do a charity walk with them. The walk was 10 miles. I thought this would be a good cut back for run before the half and I joined them. My bro-inlaw is a fast walker. I kept up with him, but when I got home and charted my walk time, I walked for 10 miles with the range of 12 to 12.5 mm.
I was so defeated. I couldn't wrap my head around how can I walk faster then I run.

I completed the half marathon with a lot of walking, I think I finished in the 14+ mile minute range. I was so defeated. My training half run before the above mentioned charity walk, was challenging but doable. I sabotaged my half with my head. After the half I quit running totally.

In the time since my half marathon, I have maybe tried running a total of 10 times in the past 10 yrs. Just could not get out of my head... Slow runner. Side not I gained 60 to 70 pounds in the 10 year period.

Skip ahead to the present. I recently joined MFP. I am counting calories and getting fit again. I recently started the C25K program, as I want to run! Slow as I may be, I want to run. I enjoy running. I do not need to run faster then I am able. I maybe a slow runner, having walkers faster then I. My head is not going to derail me from the achievement of running.

Today I will finish week 2 of C25K. I can not wait to start week 3. I am a Slow runner and I am finally happy that I am and will be a slow runner.

Replies

• fatty2begone
    @Lietchi I am 5'5" also.
    Everyone has a "slow" speed in their head. It amazes me that someone that runs at a 10 MM thinks there slow, cant fathom a sub-7.

Thanks for the inspiration. Keep doing what you like and you are awesome. :)
  • fatty2begone
    @cyndit1
    Wow now those accomplishments are amazing!
    I am hoping to get my endurance up to be able to do a half within a year. Shooting for the stars and moon.
    I have alot of extra weight to lose, so my old norm slow might be my new dream fast :)
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    I am a slow runner too! I run on and off, and am just getting back into it after about a year and a half hiatus. I have about a 15 minute mile, 13 is pushing it and probably the fastest I can go right now. My fastest mile ever was 9:04, 25 pounds ago when I was running very regularly for races.
    I used to get frustrated with myself too; that 9:04 stuck in my head like a taunt. I used to try everything to get back there - lose weight, lengthen strides, better shoes, and on and on. After some time, though, my fitness goals and path has changed and I give myself much more grace. Sub-10 will come, if I do the work for it to.

It has definitely helped to stop focusing on numbers and focus on how you feel! Like I said, I tried lengthening my stride, but that was uncomfortable and riding the rails to Injury City, USA. So now I listen much more closer to my body, do strides/form/distance that feels right, and that's what's important to me now! I hope faster time will come for me too :smile:
  • fatty2begone
    @mrschwarten
    I had a 9 minute mile too. (1 and only 1). I was doing a 5k with my neice, 23 yrs younger than me, who never trained for it. We were running together and I was not gonna let her out do me, so I kept up. She lasted about 3/4 mile before she had to walk. I ran ahead and finished my 1st 5k in 38.36 minutes. She came in about 10 minutes later :D .

I just finished week 2 of c25K. Using a treadmill currently due to icy roads, and my run part is set at 4.8 speed on the treadmill (I think 12.5 MM?). That is for 90 second runs. Next week I think I am upto 3 minute runs. We Shall see...

I am just looking forward to the day I am running outside again and do 3 miles comfortably at my SLOW pace.
    Happy Running!
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    @mrschwarten
    We were running together and I was not gonna let her out do me, so I kept up. She lasted about 3/4 mile before she had to walk. I ran ahead and finished my 1st 5k in 38.36 minutes. She came in about 10 minutes later :D .

Lol a spite-fueled personal best! :lol: We got this!

• fatty2begone
    Last night I completed the Week 4 day 1 c25k. I finished 2 miles in 29minutes 20 seconds. 3 minute and 5 minute runs with walking in between. Amazingly fast ;) .

So looking forward to completing the c25k program and running 3 to 4 miles outside with my awesome slowness!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    I am a slow runner as well. I run the Galloway method (run, walk). Please google Jeff Galloway and he has a website which will explain his run/walk method. you can even find his half marathon training program on it. This is how I run. I actually run faster with the run/walk method then just running and the run/walk method is so much better on your joints. Read up on it and he has several books. I have a bumper sticker on my car that says "you don't have to go fast you just have to go." Right now I am sidelined with a injury and cannot run. It's been 3 months and I miss running soooooo much!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,304 Member
    I used to think I was destined to be a slow runner, then I got fit and dropped weight and tons of time. Still wasn't fast to fast folks, but I was blazing for me. Now 70 pounds heavier and trying to get the nerve up to start over. Would love to be MFP's!

Right now I just walk about a 17 minute mile. I can run/walk a 13 minute mile, but it's very difficult at this weight.
  • fatty2begone
    edited March 2022
    @sarah7591 When I was training for my half way back, I looked at his program. I didnt do it then. I will take another look when I get my endurance up again. I would really like to complete another half marathon. Shooting for 1 year.

@pridesabtch I hear you with the extra weight. I am carrying 40lbs extra weight at my heaviest when running. I was 60lbs lighter when I was actively running. Hoping to achieve this in a year or so. I am trying for slow weight loss in not restricting myself too much to actually keep it off this time. DIETING is not fun, being overweight and unfit is the pits.

@Ghostofachance I am dreaming of completing a 5k run with my own race. Slow and steady! Once I get my running legs again, I will enroll in a fun run 5k. Most likely May or June.

Happy Running to everyone!
  • fatty2begone
    edited March 2022
    @Lietchi Oh Yes Yes Yes! Enter for your awesome self. You already are wearing a medal around your neck for your accomplishments. Might as well finish that 5k race and have another to wear proudly.

You have accomplished so much and inspire me.

Happy Running you speed demon rockstar! B)
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    @Lietchi Most of the races I have run place the "real runners" up front so they can get off to a fast start, then stagger the rest of the field by their average mile/km time to try to make it a good experience for all involved. It works well as long as people are honest about their pace. Even as a slow runner, it is no fun to be stuck behind people who are even slower than you!
  • fatty2begone
    @Ghostofachance
    Most of the 5k fun runs I have been in (I've never entered a true competition) always have the walkers at the back. The fastest at the front and mixed in between. I have been in a 5k with maybe 5000 participants and there has always been enough room to navigate around runners. Might be different with walkers pushing a stroller (IDK).

The half m I did, was much more structured with time/pace. It was much larger participation too. I think 30,000. I was defiantly at the back of the pack. This was a half and full m with same course the 1st part then full separated. I didn't come in last as the full marathoners were still coming in when I finished :D
  • kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    I’m a slow runner but it doesn’t bother me. I have been running consistently for over a year, it took me 6 months to be able to jog one mile without stopping and that was I think a 14-15 minute mile. I’ve lost almost 70 pounds in the meantime and it is easier for me to run but I’m still a 10-12 minute mile, when I’m a 10 minute mile I can’t sustain it for more then a mile. I can run 6 miles now at a 11-12 minute mile, I never thought I would be able to jog for more than an hour without stopping regardless of it being “slow”.
  • fatty2begone
    @yirara Way to get out and move! You have medical conditions and don't let it stop you from running! That is inspiration! I am not letting the extra pounds deter me.

@kaydensmom2009 Congratulations on your weight loss and on your massive running improvement. 10 & 11mm to me are not slow ;) .

Everyone's comments are so inspiring. Thank you to everyone for stopping by.
  • fatty2begone
    I just finished c25k week 4. The 5 minute runs were not easy and I had to decrease my speed . A little thought was starting to creep in and I had to remind myself, I GOT THIS. (The 3 minute runs were not as bad so yes... progress)

Slowness does not determine the outcome of my goal. Running outside and being happy.