Restarting and need advice

Options
Hello,
I am rejoining MFP after I have let myself fall apart after COVID. My partner and I have become unhealthy both physical and mentally and I'm ready to make a change. I'm looking for advice on food. We are both so tired after work that getting a healthy meal on the table for ourselves and our two little girls seems like an overwhelming task. Please I need any advice I can get.

Replies

• HylesGallii
    HylesGallii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey snowdancer03. I and my partner and both disabled and we are both quite exhausted by the time dinner rolls around. However, for our own sake we do need good nutrition, so while I am still figuring out how to eat better and cook a regular healthy meal myself that all considered I hope that my advice may be of some assistance.

What has helped greatly to put better food on the table is my recent purchase of an Instantpot pressure cooker, or more specifically (as I'm sure that is far from the only brand you could find that does this) a pressure cooker that also has settings and accessories purchasable for things such as sauté, sous vide, steam, that kind of thing.

A sharp knife and a cutting board with a small rim to keep things from falling off do wonders to speed up chopping and cleanup (and dont be afraid to purchase in those push down vegetable choppers if they help, they exist for a reason. Food processors and such can help as well of course, but I'm already recommending a somewhat expensive item and dont know your budget), and with even just a sauté option available you should be able to make a good amount of healthy dishes in only one pot for as little cleaning as possible. With just one more cooking tray and a trivet to fit your pot you can even make things such as frittata, which is one of my favourites and also cleans up easily.

Do you have any support for your mental health at this time? It sounds like things are rough at the moment.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    other options may be:

-crock pot meals. throw everything in the slow cooker before you leave the house in the morning & come home to a meal waiting to be eaten

-on your weekends/days off, assemble a couple casseroles that can be wrapped up and refrigerated so when you get home from work you just have to pop one in the oven. and depending on how many kids you have and what particular casseroles you have, each may easily be 2+ meals for the whole family so utilize those leftovers another night

-on your weekends/days off, make big batches of food that you can portion out into containers; when you get home from work you just have to pick one out of the fridge and microwave it.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Roasting Tin series of cook books by Rukmini Iyer.
    The point of them is that it's all simple recipes that just involve chopping some stuff and chucking it in the oven. There are a few to choose from.