Slowly getting more angry with myself....

Options
Over the past few weeks I've become more and more slack with my weightloss. I've stupily done what I've always done before. I dont WANT to give up. I really don't. I just cant see it going any other way. Does that sound really bad??

Every night I've been going to bed determined to do better the next day - then that day comes and it slowly goes down hill. I get so angry at myself before I go to bed - angry at how i ate that day and angry cause I KNOW i can do better.

It's not like I'm giving up cause I'm suddenly happy with where I am - I'm not! I want to keep losing it - I just cant imagine myself there. I've alway, always been big. I was tiny until I was about 2/3 when the doctors said I was too small so my parents fed me up but then I started feeding myself up...... it's ridiculous. I hate that I'm like this. Hate it. I just can't imagine myself as a size 10/12... or where guys actually look at me. or where I dont get out of breath walking around. or where I can go and buy regular clothes.

I feel like giving up is just what I do. I know I can control myself, I proved it when I lost 29lb. But it's like a switch has flicked saying "c'mon fatty - you've lost some now... give up like you usually do and go eat those crisps"... but its no one else saying that. No-one - my friends and family are all so supportive. It's just me and my stupid, stupid mind.

Sorry about the rant. I just hate this. Myself. The situation I've got myself into. :frown:

Replies

• cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Its a daily climb... step by step. It won't happen overnight and you may not notice it but it happens as you make the decision to change your habbits. Stay strong and control yourself. Don't imagine being skinny or guys looking at you... that will happen... but only after you are happy with yourself. So envision yourself being happy with the way you look... the harder you work towards it, the closer and closer you will get... but it is a lifelong self control issue.
    If you need encouragement or if you want someone to keep you on track, let me know. I will help you!!
  • truiz2
    Options
    HI there. I totally know what you are going through. Yes there may be bumps in the road to your success, but you have to think to yourself, everyday is a new day and tomorrow I will do better. ;). It has happened to me before. Don't let it get you down. Think positive you are in a better spot then you were at this time last year or whenever you started. Here is my story I will share with you.
    I'm 26 years old, married and have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. I have always been overweight. I could attribute it to my upbringing and obesity running in my family, but I can't. Yes it ran in my family but as I got older I could've better controled what I ate, but I didn't. Needless to say I was bullied in school since I can remember. Probably 1st grade up through about 9th grade. As I got older the bullying stoped but I always wanted to be one of the more popular girls and have a real life boyfriend. I never dated or had a boyfriend and when I did find someone that liked me he was a total loser, but i didn't care I thought they liked me. Well that didn't last and school dances would come and go proms would come and go and I never had a date or anyone that wanted to take me. I had friends and was well liked. I was always the girl with a pretty face and an ugly fat body. I can't start to tell u how many times i would hear, yeah she has a pretty face, if only she would lose some weight. It still makes me tear up. I finally got out of high school not ever really having a real boyfriend and not really liking myself. It was so embaressing when I was a sophomore in high school in gym class and always being embaressed about changing out in the locker room, or when it was time to have the annual weigh in's. I was up to 220 lb by the time I was 15 or 16 years old. OMG if I thought i was overweight then, I gained more weight as I got a litle older. I went to college and got married to the first idiot that i caught his attention and I can truly say now i wasn't in love. I just liked the attention of a man, i didn't care who it was and what he looked like. It felt nice to be liked by the opposite sex. Needless to say this caused a lot of friction between me and my mom and I ended up divorcing him after 2 months of marriage because he was abusive. I went back to college and met my hubby. we got married a few months before I graduated from college. later that same year I got pregnant with Mariah my daughter and was up to 302 lbs. After having her i only dropped down to 297. So there I was at 297 for the longest time until i decided I need to change my eating habits and activity level if I wanted to be around to see my daughter grow up. I hated being nervous about going into a restaraunt and not being able to fit in the booths and having to sit at a table or be uncomfortable being squished in a booth. I was tired of not being about to get on rides at the fair or magic mountain because I was afraid the bars or restraints would not close on me or hold me. It was a terrible feeling. My hubby, thank God likes to work out and it was easy for me to work out little by little at home because I have equipment here. I started my journey in January of 2011. Yes I have had slips here and there, but if you keep your head looking forward and correct yourself that's all that matters. Don't stop believing u can do this. It didn't take me a couple of months or weeks to get this big so it's not something that is going to happen overnight or even months. it is something I have to work on everyday. I eat better and try to count calories when I can and exercise at least 3 times a week for about 30-60 minutes at a time. It is Sept 2011 and I feel great. I'm still not where I want to be but I am getting there one day at a time. I weigh 255 lbs now and trying to set a goal of losing another 20 lbs by the end of this year. If that happens I will have lost a total of 57 lbs this year!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!! keep at it and if you fail once just get yourself back up and keep on going. It is okay to have a cheat day or meal every once in a while. Everyone does it. If we don't we will go CRAZY!!! Moderation is KEY!!! I try to eat healthy by snacking and having quaker rice cakes that are flavored like chips flavors ex. sour cream and onion and snack on those instead of chips. Try substitutions instead of beef, eat chicken, fish or turkey. Pot beans over refried beans. Have 100 calorie snack packs available, eat more fruit, and veggies, and MFP has been a Godsend. USE It to your advantage.
    Here is a good luck to you and OUR future weight loss!!! I hope if u took the time to read this, that it has helped you in some way.
    Take care! :smile:
    Teresa
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Well you've come so far. It would be a shame to stop now. Why don't you replan what foods you will eat next week and the type of exercise you do. Something completely different to keep you interested? I've lost heaps in the past, and that's one tactic I have used.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this'll help, but I find it usefull.

I close my eyes, relax and imagine how I am now. I notice the double chin etc. Look at it like you are looking at a photo. Then...turn it black and white and move it up into the corner of your 'screen'. In place, in colour, is you as you are going to be, feeling how you are going to be feeling, doing what you are going to be doing and wearing the clothes you want to. Study it, want it and know for certain that you are going to make it happen.

This little thing may not move mountains, but do it often enough and it will speak to you at the times when you need it to (reaching for the doughnuts!)

Bit 'new age', but try it, you won't lose anything and the relaxation may help either way.
    :smile:
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Consider this another bump in the road. You will get past it, we all do if we just put our minds to it. This will only make you stronger! Chin up and get to moving, well worth it. The decision to start losing weight in the first place was the hardest part. You have already lost 29 lbs! How satisfying is that!!!!

6855178.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!!!! i went around in circles for months tryin to learn how to do it right! Id lose real good & then the next week those 4 lbs would be back! stick to it! Learn from the day, realize & identify what your feeling when you go to eat something. Are you drinking your water? Im a very bad water drinker & While doing a monthly challenge. A mini challenge is to drink 64oz+ water a day & since im the type of person to please others first or do things for others befoRE myself, i would drink the water for the points bc i didnt want to let anyone down, But in the process i have learned how good it feels to be hydrated! TOMORROW IS ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY!! lOG IT EVEN WHEN ITS BAD, YOU WILL GET WERE YOU DONT LIKE SEEING IT & YOU WILL SEE WHAT YOU R DOIN WRONG & SLOWELY CHANGE THINGS!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You mention that your friends and family are so supportive. Its time to think about them. They want you fit and healthy don't they? Most people mention that as they lose weight, they gain "fitness". Do you enjoy the way you feel, when you've exercised?

From your post, it sounds to me as though you are afraid that you will succeed. (I realise I could be wrong, but I think it is worthwhile considering this possibility).

You have already attained a great deal. You have the courage to handle success too.

Go for it!!!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have been there... Especially when the head hits the pillow. For me I am an all or nothing person, but that's exhausting in its own right. So I have some tricks that help me. I say " when" instead of if. When I lose weight, I can't wait to go buy those sz 10 jeans. Eliminate as much self talk as you can. Not working out is not an option. I don't think about it, 4 oclock comes and I go. For me making my food diary public has helped. As well as doing programs that tell me what to do, like 30 day shred or c25k. These message boards are super encouraging, seeing others succeed, I think, yeah I can do that too!!

For me there was a time when all the internal chatter quieted and I made a decision.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you feel like. i have done that over and over. i lost 30 pounds. then slacked, when i still had about 50 to go! gained most of it back. still fighting to get the re-gained weight off.

a tip that helps me, might help you. my mom always said "start out as you mean to go on." so i start the day moving. fast. even if it is just getting ready for work, i hustle everywhere. sounds silly right? but i find that if i hustle around, I am finished getting ready for work sooner, and can have 5-10 minutes to pop in here to look at something inspirational.

another is to plan my meals. I actually have used my own four week rotating menu, so i only have the exact same dinner once a month. sometimes i do a swap out, but this menu keeps me on track and prevents me from getting bored.

do something just a little differently. take a slightly different route going to, or coming home from work even. avoiding becoming bored with the little every day things keeps me feeling fresh, and i do better with my diet exercise and everything, just by changing some element. this element i have named "randomonium".
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Everyone has lulls in success. It looks like you've done fantastic so far!

No one has perfect willpower. Is there a way you could make it easier for yourself? If things are going downhill throughout the day, it's probably because food and sitting around not-exercising are being waved in front of you all day. Is there any way you could remove yourself from the situations that give you trouble? The best way to exert self-control is to not have to exert it at all. For me, cafeteria food always gets me--I can't control myself in a buffet line. But if I bring lunch with me, I can skip the line altogether and not be tempted. Maybe there's something like that that could help?
  • crystald1981
    Options
    Hey! I've been where you seem to be right now. I have a health condition that makes it difficult for me to lose weight but the thing you have to do is keep going. Never ever give up. A few things that have helped me are 1) Get rid of negative feelings and find a way to love myself regardless of how I look because my looks and body does not define who I am as a person (I chose counseling and God but how you do it is up to you). 2) Focus on the good about me (personality, sense of humor, pretty feet, etc) 3) Focus on how amazing my friends and family are and accept they love me no matter what. 4) Don't expect to be perfect b/c it'll never happen. 5) When the day is over don't say I suck b/c I didn't do well today say well today wasn't fantastic but tomorrow is new. (Sometimes I just say GRRRR and go to sleep). I still get discouraged sometimes but these things help me get back on track quicker. I hope this helps and Good Luck! Btw, 29 lbs is awesome!
  • crystald1981
    Options
    Oh I forgot. One more thing. Don't focus so far in the future. If you can't see yourself thin that far ahead then focus on one day or one week at a time. Set a new goal every week. That always works wonders for me!
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know how hard this can be. I was once nearly 400 pounds. From 375 pounds to 226 has taken me the better part of four years to accomplish. And most of it had to do with reprogramming my brain and stomach to eat the things that are good for me and leave all the rest behind. In my life I have had so many set backs and failures with my weight that I dont care to remember them, but if you keep your head up and realize that this is not going to happen overnigth no matter what you will accomplish what you set out to do. Its just not easy, but if it was everyone would do it and it would not mean as much when you finally accomplish your goals. Also I think the really big thing is changing your thinking that way when you get to the weight you want to be you can stay there.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will be amazed what you can do. A year ago I couldn't run more than a hundred yards without having to stop, now I can run a 10 k without stopping. Two years ago it was hard for me to walk for ten minutes in a row without my legs burning and aching, now I can do things I never thought I would be able to do again. I hate sounding cliche but if I can do it then anyone can.
  • Jessabelle12
    Options
    Sat on my bed with tears in my eyes.... Thank you! :) I'm gonna look at this first thing tomorrow. Love all the ideas so really thank you so much!!

Oh my.. Thank goodness for MFP and so many amazing people on here. :smile: