Weight lifting question...

Options
VballLeash
VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
So I am going to start lifting weights, I should have been doing this all along but I haven't really ever lifted. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what you do at the gym as far as weights go, what machines and such, any help would be awesome, THANKS!!!! :happy:

~Leash :heart:

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    So I am going to start lifting weights, I should have been doing this all along but I haven't really ever lifted. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what you do at the gym as far as weights go, what machines and such, any help would be awesome, THANKS!!!! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There are SO many ways to approach this.
    It's best to find a trainer who can walk you through different exercises. You should focus on movements that use multiple joints and large muscle groups. You might want to start with machines for now until you are comfortable with the range of motion and have gained some strength for a good base when you use free weights, which need much more stabilization. Make sure the trainer is correcting you and focusing on your form. No offense, but no one new to lifting does everything right, and if you're not being corrected, it means the trainer isn't doing a good job.
  • hbaggett67
    hbaggett67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It largely depends on what your goals are--weight loss, toning, strength training, etc. A personal trainer often isn't a bad idea if you can get one for a couple of sessions at least, they can help you formulate your goals and put together a program that is right for you. If not, I can say that I try to focus on a circuit routine that involves the balance ball and free weights--it helps with balance, stability and emphasizes core training. Lots of books available for balance ball routines--you might check one of those out so you can see some pictures (pictures always help for me when I'm doing a new exercise). Good luck!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There's also a bunch of websites that will have examples of proper form that you can watch... Shape magazine's website has some really good tips on weight training, and different exercises... I hope that I don't get in trouble for posting that!!!:blushing:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I agree with song byrd. It's REALLY hard to tell you what exercises to do without me being there to make sure you are doing the right form/alignment.

I would definitely check out the web and videos of exercises to do. If you are still uncomfortable and are able to afford one or two sessions with a trainer I would do it just so you get a better idea of what/how you should be doing things. :bigsmile:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    if you don't have access to a trainer but have a gym membership check out the classes- many classes incorporate free lifting in them (especially the circuit training boot camp style) and you can learn the basics from the class instructors who will also usually, if they're any good, go over proper stances etc.. This was how i got my start any way.