My introduction

Options
I am 21 years old and I am under weight so I'm trying to use my fitness pal to help me track how much I need to eat and go track how much weight i need to gain and the weight I want to be and if you have any suggestions for helping me gain weight please message me.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Two words. Peanut butter. You're welcome.

A forums subsection on weight gain and body building... https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight

Just like weight loss, sometimes slow is better unless you can pull off the extra exercise to gain some muscle while you are at it. And if you are just the type without a big appetite, find calorie dense foods you can eat, such as peanut butter. Accurate logging and comparing results gives you an idea of the rate you can tolerate.

As you get closer to the weight you want to be, taper your calorie intake down until it's at the level you need to maintain the weight you are. Once again, sometimes slower is better. If you get used to eating everything in sight all the time, it might be hard to back off once you reach a weight you are happy with.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Calorie-dense foods are your friends. As noted above, peanut is great. You can drizzle olive oil over many things to add lots of calories without feeling like you're eating a lot. Eggs are a great choice, and a lot of potatoes, rice, oatmeal, bananas, etc.

If you're also lifting weights, don't worry about gaining fat for now. Youth is on your side, you can eat heavy and lift heavy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ice cream? My mom helped me gain weight by replacing milk with cream(or mixing the two) veggies cooked in cream of chicken soup, protein powder milkshakes, etc. Wherever you can add in a fat(butter, oil, nuts, seeds, cheese) or choose a higher calorie option(chicken thigh instead of breast, whole milk, not skim etc)