What to do with Tofu?

Options
Anyone have any ideas on some tofu recipes? Ive tried to cook with it but it ends up tasting like rubber yuck. I saute w/oil and veggies for a stir fry and its all oily and gross. I tried a curry with veggies and still yucky! how do you cook this stuff???

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    I have a few ideas... none involve cooking, most involve the trash can.

lol, honestly, sorry, I've only tried it once and never intend to try it again! but good luck!
  • kleinmother3
    kleinmother3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love to make smoothies with it.
    A box of tofu, frozen strawberries, honey & milk/soy milk.
    Blend it all together. Makes 4 servings
    So good!!!!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My two favs:
    Slice, marinate in a good BBQ sauce and bake. Or cube, marinate in tamari, ginger and garlic then use in stir fry. Yum!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a healthfood store and they made chocolate pudding out of it. I have no idea how they did it, but it really tasted good.
  • Tanyabear_
    Tanyabear_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gpjuicy69
    Options
    The best way I've found is to bake it, marinate then put in the oven for 30min turning over after 15min
    turns out so yummy
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it. I heard someone say they use it along with a Penzey pork seasoning and they eat that in place of bacon on a BLT!!! Claim it is better than bacon. I will continue to just disagree that it tastes better than bacon!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Cut it up and put it in MISO soup with some seaweed.......................
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of ways to make tofu. Google "cooking with tofu" or "tofu recipes"... :wink:
  • kimberly130
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • dianerml
    dianerml Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to get as much of the moisture out of it as possible before doing anything with it. It will make it a lot better.

Check out this article:
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/newfoodssubstitutions/ht/presstofu.htm
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Go check out vegweb.com and search tofu. There's a TON of great recipes on there. Just be sure to sort by rating. My favorites are the General Tao Tofu and 'Just Like Chicken' Tofu strips. So awesome.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Go check out vegweb.com and search tofu. There's a TON of great recipes on there. Just be sure to sort by rating. My favorites are the General Tao Tofu and 'Just Like Chicken' Tofu strips. So awesome.

EDIT: I have no idea why it posted this twice. Sorry!