Easy, inexpensive meal prep ideas and recipes

Options
NVintage
NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
Here are easy, cheap meal prep ideas and recipes I've found on the internet. Feel free to add more!

Replies

• NVintage
    Options
  • NVintage
    Options
  • NVintage
    Options
  • NVintage
    Options
  • NVintage
    edited February 2022
    Options
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been doing quinoa with a bit of black bean salsa and some steamed veggies. If you wanted to add a meat you could add some chicken as well. It's very filling, easy to make and tastes good! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any sheet pan meal...we do quite a bit of that during the work week...super fast and easy and everything is cooked on one baking sheet in the oven.
  • NVintage
    Options
    Quality over quantity!!!!

https://youtu.be/ZbmPbeLY8qw
  • NVintage
    Options
    Working from home and trying to maintain my weight is hard! Starting my dinner already at 7am! This is a new recipe for me, a slow cooked stew...

Easy Brunswick Stew
    Okra, barbecued pork, lima beans, and chopped chicken make this stew a hearty, filling option for the slow-cooker.
    Prep:
    15 mins
    Cook:
    6 hrs 30 mins
    Total:
    6 hrs 45 mins
    Yield:
    Makes 14 cups
    Easy Brunswick Stew
    Ingredients
    Ingredient Checklist
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    1 cup frozen sliced okra, thawed
    4 cups frozen cubed hash browns, thawed** (I used regular potato)
    ¾ pound barbecued pork, chopped
    1 cup chopped cooked chicken
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
    1 (15 1/4-ounce) can lima beans, drained
    2 cups chicken broth
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    Directions
    Instructions Checklist
    Step 1
    Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, at HIGH 6 hours and 30 minutes.

Step 2
    NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Ore-Ida Southern Style Potatoes adn Texas BBQ Southern Style Pulled Pork Barbeque with sauce.

© Copyright 2022 MyRecipes. All rights reserved.
    Printed from https://www.myrecipes.com 02/10/2022
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've been doing "grain bowls" pretty much every week for over a year now lol. It's just really easy to prep and it's healthy. All I do is cook up a batch of a grain (quinoa usually), and roast some type of vegetable and chick peas (or another protein). Throw all of that in a big container together. And then each day I dish out some greens (kale bc it holds up better when you heat it up) add some of my quinoa mixture, warm it up, add some sauce. In the summer I eat that same thing basically but I don't warm it up so it's more of a salad. I really should mix it up but I'm lazy.
  • NVintage
    Options
    I do the same for lunch, usually, an easy burrito bowl or turkey instead of beans...I might do the roasted veggies idea for something different!

The Best Baked Rice and Beans
    Due to certain worldwide events, I've been getting lots of requests for easy, hearty recipes that can be made using basic dry and canned goods. This incredibly delicious Spanish-style baked rice and beans is all that and more. You'll also see a fantastic, foolproof way of making perfect rice, every time. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro, if you like.
    By Chef John
    Prep:
    10 mins
    Cook:
    1 hr 10 mins
    Total:
    1 hr 20 mins
    Servings:
    Yield:
    8 servings
    The Best Baked Rice and Beans
    Ingredients
    Ingredient Checklist
    3 cups basmati rice
    2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (Optional)
    ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
    ¼ cup olive oil
    1 (16 ounce) jar tomato salsa
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    Directions
    Instructions Checklist
    Step 1
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Step 2
    Pour white rice into a casserole dish and season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and oregano. Pour in olive oil and stir until rice is thoroughly coated with oil. Add salsa, chicken broth, and kidney beans; stir until evenly combined. Cover very tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Step 3
    Bake in the preheated oven until rice is tender, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove foil, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.

Chef's Notes:
    Any long-grain white rice will work.

Tips
    You can use paprika instead of chili powder. Feel free to use melted butter instead of olive oil--it'll have the same effect.

Tips
    You can use any canned beans of your choice--pintos would also be great, as would black beans. You can use water instead of chicken broth.

Tips
    Once you unwrap the dish from the oven, taste to make sure rice is cooked before fluffing with a fork. If it's not, re-cover and continue to bake until tender.

Nutrition Facts
    Per Serving: 422 calories; protein 12.4g; carbohydrates 76.1g; fat 8.6g; cholesterol 1.5mg; sodium 1344.2mg.
    © Copyright 2022 Allrecipes. All rights reserved.
    Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 02/11/2022
  • NVintage
    Options
    https://youtu.be/Lb0DHow7UFY

I did this for lunch today with microwavable quinoa/rice mix and a few deviled eggs I made earlier...really fast and easy!
  • NVintage
    edited February 2022
    Options
    ahj4zhform2m.png

nf5sqj0jxb0z.png

• AdahGreen2022
    AdahGreen2022 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Oatmeal- (half cup Bob's Red Mill extra thick oats, 1 cup spring water, and 1 4oz cup Mott's apple sauce cooked on high 2-2.5 hrs... then about 3 teaspoons of butter, 3tsp organic maple syrup added, and topped with cinnamon sugar)
  • AdahGreen2022
    AdahGreen2022 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Pasta de Sardine
    Pasta de sardine is a great dish for anyone who likes seafood with their pasta. This dish is not only fast and easy to prepare, but it is also delicious. It's of regional Spanish-Italian authenticity and goes well with either red wine or beer.

Recipe by SONNYCHIBA Updated on November 17, 2022
    Prep Time: 15 mins
    Cook Time: 15 mins
    Additional Time: 5 mins
    Total Time: 35 mins
    Ingredients
    8 ounces dry fettuccine pasta

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium lemon, juiced

1 (3.75 ounce) can sardines in tomato sauce

¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste

Directions
    Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Cook fettuccine at a boil until almost tender, about 8 minutes.

While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in sardines and tomato sauce, stir to combine, and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and keep at a simmer.

Drain pasta, add to sauce, and stir to combine. Cover, turn off the heat, and let stand for 3 minutes. Squeeze lemon over top and divide onto four serving plates. Garnish with Parmesan and red pepper flakes.

Nutrition Facts

calories
    total fat 13g saturated fat 3g cholesterol 21mg sodium 192mg total carbohydrate 47g dietary fiber 4g total sugars 3g protein 15g vitamin c 24mg calcium 158mg iron 3mg potassium 295mg