Staying Motivated

During the winter months in northeastern PA, it can be difficult to quell the nighttime eating. Any tips to cease night time eating?
Karyn

Replies

• chuck6w
    chuck6w Posts: 72 Member
    I struggle with this as well. I was reading some success stories in the community their was a post it led how I overcame binge eating ridding out the craving wave. I took a lot of good advice there such as often the cravings will pass like a wave you see it coming and reach its peak then things flatten back out to a calm sea. This may only take a few min or up to 10 or 20 but it will pass. Also asking myself how I feel and why am I eating is important. One other thing that helps me is eating enough during the day and limiting my carbs and sugar during my evening meals.
    Best success on you journey
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    Shear willpower! How bad do you want to get healthy? if that drive is not strong enough you will snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I find it beneficial to spread your calories out throughout the day for times you like to eat. There's nothing inherently wrong with night time eating if you are hitting your calorie targets. I eat dinner at night time...I usually get home around 5:30 or so from work, sometimes 6:00. My kids are usually just sitting down for their dinner or finishing up and my wife and I catch up on the day and I help unload the dishwasher or do this or do that, help with homework, etc. Then I do my breakfast, lunch, and snack prep for the following day...then it's time to prepare our dinner. We usually sit down around 7:30 or 8:00 to eat and indulge in one of our shows. 8:45 is the nightly get the kids in bed and tucked in and lights out and then we ourselves are off to bed around 9:30 or 10:00 to read a bit and drift off to sleep.

Basically, I'm pretty busy from the time I get home until my wife and I sit down for our evening meal. I may or may not have a small desert afterwards while we continue to watch our show(s). We're usually off to bed not that long after. If it's a boredom thing, the only thing I can suggest is to find something to keep you busy and engaged. And I've always been a fan of eating my evening meal late when I can actually sit down and relax...no biggie unless it causes you sleep problems.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    What's the "why" of your night-time eating? That can be quite individual, and IMO is key to figuring out what to do.

For sure, it could just be a matter of shifting calories into the evening, to eat more then. But there are other possibilities.

Night cravings can be about fatigue. Fatigue encourages the body to seek calories.

How's your stress level? Stress increases fatigue. If that's it, stress management strategies can help. Could be journaling, exercise, meditation, eliminating/reducing stressors, prayer, aromatherapy bubble baths, calming music, . . . etc.

How's your sleep? If quality/quantity is sub-ideal, work on that. Google "sleep hygiene", get those things in line. Allocate enough sleep timespan, if possible. There are other strategies, for individual circumstances. If you think that could be a factor, ask questions about your situation.

How's your overall nutrition? Hitting reasonable macros/micros? If not, work on that. Cravings can result from sub-par nutrition, and the thing we crave may not be the thing we truly need.

Some people will find that eating more "whole foods" (I hate that term) will reduce cravings. Highly processed foods can be less filling, though. Look at your food choices, especially ones with higher calories, minimal nutrition, if there are any. Try some alternatives. Do they help? If yes, continue. If no, try others. Rinse and repeat, until things are better.

Other kinds of food timing can help, beyond "save calories for evening", but it's quite individual. For me, a big breakfast, protein intense, and protein through the day, reduced my evening cravings. That won't be true for everyone. Experiments are helpful, and an experiment that doesn't work out is a learning experience (what not to do, going forward), not "a failure". Value the insight. You're trying to find habits that will help you stay at a health weight forever, and experiments (of whatever outcome) are productive, for that goal.

Are you bored in the evening? Consider new hobbies (or resumed old ones) as a strategy. Bonus points if they require clean hands (sketching, playing a musical instrument, needlework, etc.) or create dirty ones (painting, gardening, carpentry, etc.).

Are the evening cravings about habits, like "watch TV, eat snacks'? If so, vary the snacks (air-popped popcorn, herb tea, sparkling water with low-cal amendments, etc.), bring in the viewing-compatible clean/dirty hands hobbies, etc. It's usually easier to break an undesired habit by replacing it with a new/better one, vs. just quitting cold turkey.

Play detective, figure this out. It's like a fun game, with huge real-life payoffs. Strategies are individual, and you can find yours, if you keep chipping away, rather than giving up.

Let us know how it goes, OK? I'd love to see you succeed, would be happy to help if I can. I'm betting other MFP-ers feel likewise.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2022
    In the winter, I sometimes like to drink hot tea about an hour after dinner. If I MUST eat something, I also almost always have grated carrots or a vinegar-based slaw in the fridge. Grating carrots will make them taste sweeter.
    However - and this may be weird - I have come to look forward to feeling a little hungry in the evenings. In my mind, it's "Whoohoo! I've done it right and I'm going to be thinner tomorrow!"