Beginners Half Marathon Support Group

Options
Hi everyone!

So...I just signed up for my first half marathon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! INSANE!

I have a really cool training plan which I´m hoping I can stick to but I would really like to know if there´s anyone else out there training for their first half marathon? Maybe we can share tips and support each other when the going gets tough!

JOIN ME ... PLEASSSSSEEEEE ... I am alone ... oh so alone ... hehe feel sorry for me yet??

Ps. I'm doing the Bath Half, 11th March 2012!

- Mikhaila

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My first half is next month. What training plan are you using?

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Where's the Bath Half?
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi! Send me a friend request if you like. I may be doing my first half marathon in California over Thanksgiving weekend (this isn't for certain yet) and am definitely planning on doing the Mini-500 half marathon in Indianapolis next May. I'm doing a 7.88 mile trail run from Tahoe City, CA, to Squaw Valley, CA, on October 1. I'm happy to exchange support with fellow novice runners.

Steve
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I plan to do my first half March 31, 2012. Add me if you want!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do one for a long time..hehe..just haven't registered for one yet....but would love to get that extra motivation..maybe from you all.. :wink:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Registration for mine hasn't started yet - I think last year it started in October - but I want to get registered as soon as possible as motivation to actually train for it and do it. I figure if I've paid for it already then I HAVE to do it! Right?!
  • thereseofdoom
    thereseofdoom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to do one for the past 2 years, but kept putting off registering, until too late, and they were selling out. I just registered for the OC half marathon. It isn't until May 6th, I registered as soon as they opened the registration. Now I have no excuses, I have to do it!!!

I'd love a support group. I am going to do Hal Higdons half marathon training plan, but since my half isn't until May, I probably won't start it until January. For now I'll just be continuing to run 3-8 miles several times a week.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm on the tail end of a 1/2 training program right now, just ran my first 11 miler this morning. My goal is to run in the Swamp Stomp 1/2 in Lake Charles, LA in December, with a 10K prepping for that in November and hopefully at least a couple of 5K's between now and then. Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Austin half-marathon on February 19.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone!

Thanks for your messages!

I am using the iPhone KINETIC GPS APP I am on day 3 at the moment, first day was walk for 3 min easy run 2 mins x 6, then a rest day and today was walk for 3 mins and easy run for 2 mins x 3. It's an 85 day plan, should be finished by 4th December which is good as then I have an extra three months almost to maintain the fitness level before my first ever half marathon! The Bath Half is in Bath Spa in the UK. Registration is open at the moment so when I saw it the other day I thought I MUST DO THAT, especially as I live in Bath :o)

Anyone who has a half marathon coming up soon, how have you found your training and did you start off as a beginner? I'll continue to post what my training is day to day, in about 3 weeks it works up to half an hour easy run and then of course up to 70 mins running in a couple months time. One of the most important messages on this plan is at the beginning, forget about trying to get super fit and capable too soon, in the first few weeks it's all about getting into the routine of going out every other day, without fail, rain or shine. I think as soon as I conquer that dedication issue, I'll really get into it :o) It was raining today and I went so that's all good! Granted it was only a 15 mins training day but that's not what counts!

Good luck to everyone, feel free to add me whoever wants to and hopefully we'll get some good tips from eachother! I was motivated watching the Bupa Great North Run this morning, they all did awesome. A 90yr old among them finishing under 2hrs 30 now that is impressive!

Here's to Half Marathon's!

- Mikhaila
  • corishayne
    Options
    Hi!!! I am doing my first half marathon in February, feel free to add me. I could definitely use some support as well! I just started training yesterday and I can tell it is going to be one LONG journey. I am excited for it though :)