Help with establishing a habit

I'm trying to make daily exercise a habit (again). I have arthritis and migraines that can derail my plans and when it happens, the effort to begin again seems insurmountable.

Logically, I know I'll feel better when I exercise. It's just not enough to get me moving without massive effort. I'm on day 3 now.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I have an energetic dog. He needs walks every day, rain or shine. That means I get a walk or two or three every day. It's fun for him, exercise for me and my husband. If you don't have time for a dog, then set a time to go for a walk every day. When you get home from work or lunchtime are options now, or after dinner when it is light later. If you're a morning person, set your alarm to get up 45 minutes earlier and put your workout or walking clothes out so you don't have to think about what to put on.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I'm trying to make daily exercise a habit (again). I have arthritis and migraines that can derail my plans and when it happens, the effort to begin again seems insurmountable.

Logically, I know I'll feel better when I exercise. It's just not enough to get me moving without massive effort. I'm on day 3 now.

While I am lucky enough to avoid the arthritis part (at least for now), I can completely sympathize with you on the migraine part! They just screw up your entire day/week!!!

I learned early on that I HAD to make a schedule, or I'd never get back on the wagon if I fell off. I slid during Covid, and I'm still being dragged behind the wagon (especially with new upheaval at my job), but the calendar helps. This is what I did:

I looked at my calendar for days/times that were NOT good for me to go to the gym, or go for a walk, whatever. On certain days I have after-work appointments, or have to pick the kid up from tuba class, whatever. Knowing that I can't do Tuesday means I had to fit something in on Wednesday, for example.

Once I knew what days I could get to the gym, and what days I could do something at home, I was able to build a weekly schedule (for me right now, Monday Rest, Tuesday Treadmill, Wednesday Rest {after work appointments}, Thursday Treadmill, Friday Gym, Saturday Gym, Sunday Long Run {3+ miles}). It's not the best right now, but it's what I can fit into my schedule while still taking care of my family and living my life.

But what does this have to do with you? Well, migraines kick my *kitten*. I'd guess they do yours, as well. We don't want to do squat while we have them, and the day after they're gone, we don't want to "whistle past the graveyard" and have them come back, so we take off another day or so... and then before you know it, it's been a week since you did anything! (Or maybe that's just me). With your calendar, it kind of becomes ingrained in you after a while that no matter what happened on Friday with your migraine, Tuesday is treadmill day, so let's get to it. You can go easy, you can go shorter, but Tuesday is Treadmill Day and you don't want to be a quitter. Not wanting to skip an "appointment" on my calendar has gotten me in my sneakers many more times than I can count. I refuse to be a quitter for something I have scheduled. Perhaps this is something you can work with!

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Start small. I've heard of tacking a new habit onto an existing habit to help it stick. Maybe add in a walk into your morning routine, or after dinner.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    amykay9377 wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »

While I am lucky enough to avoid the arthritis part (at least for now), I can completely sympathize with you on the migraine part! They just screw up your entire day/week!!!

I learned early on that I HAD to make a schedule, or I'd never get back on the wagon if I fell off. I slid during Covid, and I'm still being dragged behind the wagon (especially with new upheaval at my job), but the calendar helps. This is what I did:

I looked at my calendar for days/times that were NOT good for me to go to the gym, or go for a walk, whatever. On certain days I have after-work appointments, or have to pick the kid up from tuba class, whatever. Knowing that I can't do Tuesday means I had to fit something in on Wednesday, for example.

Once I knew what days I could get to the gym, and what days I could do something at home, I was able to build a weekly schedule (for me right now, Monday Rest, Tuesday Treadmill, Wednesday Rest {after work appointments}, Thursday Treadmill, Friday Gym, Saturday Gym, Sunday Long Run {3+ miles}). It's not the best right now, but it's what I can fit into my schedule while still taking care of my family and living my life.

But what does this have to do with you? Well, migraines kick my *kitten*. I'd guess they do yours, as well. We don't want to do squat while we have them, and the day after they're gone, we don't want to "whistle past the graveyard" and have them come back, so we take off another day or so... and then before you know it, it's been a week since you did anything! (Or maybe that's just me). With your calendar, it kind of becomes ingrained in you after a while that no matter what happened on Friday with your migraine, Tuesday is treadmill day, so let's get to it. You can go easy, you can go shorter, but Tuesday is Treadmill Day and you don't want to be a quitter. Not wanting to skip an "appointment" on my calendar has gotten me in my sneakers many more times than I can count. I refuse to be a quitter for something I have scheduled. Perhaps this is something you can work with!

Thank you so much. This really helps.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    find an exercise you enjoy that gets your moving. walking, chair yoga, walking in place to music, stretching. Anything that makes you happy and feel better. and then build on that as your desire and ability grow.