Hula hooping

Options
Hi

Does anyone hula hoop? I've just bought a weighted one and use it for half an hour at a time - I can only go in one direction as that's what I learned when I was young! :D I enjoy doing it but has anyone felt they've had much benefit in toning up?

Replies

• Rsrs35
    Rsrs35 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This sounds like fun. I tried it years ago when I used to teach dance I would use it to help my class loosen up. I can’t say I built it into all my workouts though - but the movement you make is used in dance and dance for sure helped me tone and lose inches around my belly. Thanks for reminding me about this. I’m going to get one! Inspired!
  • bonnielassies
    bonnielassies Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great - just watch out for bruising with the weighted ones! I had quite bad bruises the first time I used it, but they've gone away now. Let me know how you get on!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I use a "smart hula hoop" which is a lot easier and smaller and doesn't cause bruising, plus I can adjust the intensity by changing the length of the tether.

Like this one:
    https://lcpshop.net/product/adjustable-hula-hoop-with-ball/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4q3n4icEXjWsw0RHQNzS4UJnLhZcEfegWf1XHxfotlaStVHYG0_kHYaAnAKEALw_wcB
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I love hula hooping. Great way to strengthen your core, improve your balance, burn calories and have fun.

Check out Hoop Plus Fit with Scarlett and Bee Vargas on YouTube. They have some great workouts from beginners on up.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I took up hula hooping at the beginning of 2021 and practiced daily for a year. I lost 15kg and gained a lot of self confidence. I also went from hopeless at waist hooping to performing in public with a professional flow artist squad.

I don’t like weighted hoops. It is good to start with a large heavy hoop to learn the movement pattern but as you get better, go lighter in hoop weight so you can unlock all the cool tricks and start being able to access flow state.

There is a massive hula hooping community on Insta where people are very generous with free tutorials and being supportive of each other. There are also lots of free resources on you tube to get started. I recommend Deanne Love and Hoop Lovers.
    sk12efg6vvtv.jpeg

vukmxpbhd74y.png

t28z7yyu6p7d.jpeg
    yakf7j88z5an.jpeg