Protein

Options
Hi guys,

I've noticed a few times I've generally been over my protein limit and under my carbs... Is this ok? What's the benefits for being right on target with each?

Thanks!

Replies

• Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    I eat heaps of protein, heaps of chicken. and usually not many carbs at all, it seems to be working good for me.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree, protein is okay to go over, and carbs under. Doing the same and it's working for me too.
  • farrellb2
    Options
    according to my Professor (for food and nutrition) says that you need roughly 120g of carbs a day for proper brain function, so I'd stay in that range for your carbs, not to sure about protein,
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The default protein setting is low, so it's ok to go over it. Ideally a woman should have 0.9g of protein per lb of body weight. I wouldn't worry about hitting carbs unless you are really working out a lot (carbs are fuel). If you are running a lot, intense exercises, burning 1000+ cals a day I'd try to come close to the carb target.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, MFP defaults to 15% protein, 55% carbs, and 30% fat. I've changed mine to 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat/
  • Taintedkitten
    Options
    Ok thanks, sounds like I'm ok then! Was just wondering really.
  • Taintedkitten
    Options
    Yeah, MFP defaults to 15% protein, 55% carbs, and 30% fat. I've changed mine to 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat/

Can you change those settings on the site or do you just calculate yourself?
  • kellyscomeback
    Options

Can you change those settings on the site or do you just calculate yourself?
    You can change them under Goals in your home screen. Here's mine before exercise cals are added in:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day - 1,200 calories/day
    Carbs / Day - 150 g
    Fat / Day - 27 g
    Protein / Day - 90 g
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The protein goal that MFP give is generally quite low. A good rule of thumb is to shoot for .5 to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight.
  • kellyscomeback
    Options
    Here's a good insight on ratios:
    Although there are differences of opinion over which ratios are most optimal for health and weight loss, many popular diets are based on a particular caloric ratio. For example, the USDA guidelines recommend that approximately 60% of the calories you consume should come from carbohydrates and approximately 30% from fat. Proponents of the Zone™ diet recommend a ratio (40%-30%-30%) much lower in carbohydrates but higher in protein. Advocates of the Atkins™ and South Beach™ diets recommend even lower consumption of carbohydrates, while many other diet philosophies focus on an ultralow consumption of fats.

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/analysis-help#ixzz1YGW6fLWX
  • daves160
    Options
    I've tried doing that several times, but it keeps wanting to go back to default. I ended up just leaving it alone and trying to exceed my protein, go under on my carbs without going too far, and I only eat lean meats and foods with the good fats in them which I still try to keep lower.
  • Taintedkitten
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I suggest consulting with your nutritionist or do some research about the portion control that works best for you instead of relying on MFP's default settings. This is one of the flaws of this site, it never considers a person's body type & his nutrient needs but instead only basing the settings based on the general population which is not accurate at all. What works for others may not work for you so it would be a lot wiser to know what your body actually needs. In my case being of medium frame with a moderate metabolism & kinda muscular, I learned that I have to balance everything out so which is why I reset my food intake to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.